Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+55
scott
peregrine67
vwgirl
drewBAKER
56rag
shaky
fried_chicken
DOODLE BUGG
vwtattooed
71Ghia
tarvw
buggin70
Stockornaut Restorations
Buss66
stasher1
goatfarmer67
buggin58
56HAVOC
skunk
Joe
panic_fan
Damn-it Don
mroberts
laith
Cambur
Johnny
Yaeger
BKiller
ASBug
daltondragger73
Grifspop
57RTOval
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
jshmnghm
fluxcap
59suicide
fearthefat138
vwovalchild
tito
VW12step
adams77
rpm750
65type2dailydriver
tronview
zabo
meinvw
bakertim2
39coupe
bumblebuggy
69panel
aircooledaddicts
71_georgia_beetle
Bugman114
Goped406
DiggerD
59 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 20 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by bumblebuggy Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:05 pm

rpm750 wrote:Installed new Popout seals on both windows, I may never be able to play bass again!

You think that's bad...try replacing the vent window seals on an early bus and get back to me.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 20 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by 69panel Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:16 pm

I noticed a stumble off idle and checked the TPS and the numbers didn't jive. I got to checking and I had an automatic Jetta TPS. The manual TPS is a different part number. I picked one up at Parts South for $89.00. The price for that TPS was all over the charts when I was checking prices. One place was $209.00, another two were $149.00 and $159.00 respectively. I bought the correct one and installed it. No more stumble off idle. I guess the manual version of the TPS increases fuel delivery quicker for a manual shift car.

I ran across a set (or pair) of BMW grilles at Parts South. I went home and measured the air intake scoops on the waterbug. They were close enough to masage the scoops and mount the grilles. I went back and bought them on closeout for $25.00 for the pair...new in the box.

With very little effort and some plywood, fiberglass cloth and some bondo the grilles reside in the air scoop openings as though they were designed for them. I primed and painted the mods to the scoops tonight.

I am now searching for an old school box heater like back in the '40's and '50's. There are new ones available but I'd prefer old.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Bought foam seat pads, firewall support, heater cables, metal brake line kit, new tranny mounts, and lowered ball joints for Ashley's car..... Hope I can get it close to done before spring. Lots of work....

Jerome, I just bought the HF tumbler
this one ------> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93252
I put the pan bolts in there while I was working on the pan (maybe like two hours) they didn't come out bare metal shiny due to the type of media I used, I think...... but def. much cleaner than before and usable now!
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988
Registration date : 2008-07-20

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:14 pm

Reinstalled the Clutch cable, New stock trans and motor mounts. Cleaned painted my '68 backing plates and got the passenger side brakes installed. The clutch tube looks better since I straightened it. I greased the crap out of the clutch cable and the hook part as well. I'm hoping that my chatter is gone. I'll clean paint heater boxes tomorrow and get everything ready to put the engine back in Friday night or Sat. I'm having withdrawals!!!

Anybody had chatter and it was the disk or pressure plate?
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tarvw Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:25 pm

I had a clutch that I bought new and had bad chatter.Adjusted and tried everything,pulled the engine and clutch.The pressure plate was not even where the disc goes against it.Get a straight edge and lay it across the face it should touch all the way across with no gap.Only the inside edge,maybe an 1/8" was touching on mine.Got a different pressure plate and it was all good after that.
tarvw
tarvw
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:38 pm

Just checked mine it is flat, touches all the way across. I have a new disk I'll throw it in just for kicks!
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:56 pm

when i had first installed my turbo, i started getting a bad chatter. really wierd. The car was jerking badly when i let the clutch out, and it seemed to get worse and worse. turns out, when i finally pulled the motor, i took off the PP and the clutch disintegrated. well, the reason, is when i got the turbo on, i may have gotten a little too excited and did a few dirt-to-pavement burnouts (to prevent wheel hopping), and a few times i didn't get the tires spiining fast enough when it hit the pavement, and it did some awful wheel hopping. later i found out that, that can destroy a clutch, lol. lesson learned. never do burn outs, unless you have a truss bar installed, hahaha. Laughing
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Bugman114 wrote: never do burn outs, unless you have a truss bar installed, hahaha. Laughing

Do you mean engine support (VW Traction Bar)?
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:12 pm

yeah, my bad. i ment traction bar, lol.

today i finally got the intake off a 1500sp i had lying around. two of the studs on one side were rounded off, and a PITA to get off. finally got them off, along with the tins, and the heads. see bob, i wasn't sleeping this whle time, Laughing
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by laith Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:00 pm

Thought that something major had gone wrong with the Jetta...turned out that the distributor hold down clamp bolt had loosened up. That's a new one on me.
laith
laith
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by 71Ghia Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:42 pm

Replaced the windscreen washer jets and hoses. Appears to even work!!!
71Ghia
71Ghia
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:42 pm

71Ghia wrote:Replaced the windscreen washer jets and hoses. Appears to even work!!!
Figure out the horn?

I replaced my rear shoes, adjusted the valves, topped off the trany fluid, added more hushmat, new air filter, new belt, and greased the front end of the bus. Was going to change the oil but couldn't find my oil screen gasket set.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Got lazy and played guitar hero all day. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:15 pm

I got Oh Bugga on the road today and it seems that the chatter is gone. I changed the bowden tube, greased the clutch cable, throw out bearing, motor/trans mount and clutch disk. I straightened the clutch tube at the end where the bowden tube connects, it was bent up the last three inches.

What I think fixed the problem was the fork that holds the throw bearing. The arm that the clutch cable attaches to and the rod had a good bit of play. I went down to the '68 that I have and it had about half as much play. I swapped the parts before installing the engine. I'm not 100% on the chatter but I didn't notice it like I did before. I need to adjust the cable again to really get a feel for where I'm at with it.

Also recovered the back seat, man what a difference!!!!! Pics soon....
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:01 pm

Still got chatter, worse now and the new throw bearing is raising hell back there. I give up. I'm so pissed right now, what the hell does it take to fix this damn problem? I know I'll sell it!
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:30 pm

did you check the flywheel for streightness? also did you check the flywheel for run out (i think thats what its called). where you take a dial caliper, and see if the flywheel is bent or not? could still be flat, but bent. i don't think its possible to check the PP like that. did you happen to check if the gland nut was tight? if all that is good, do you think there still may be a kink in the clutch cable tube?

If it gets to that point, perhaps you could put your motor on the 68 (assuming its still together), and see if it still has chatter, just to see if the guide is the problem.

hmmm.....smells like a tech day at bob's house Laughing .
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:05 pm

Installed the new speedo (newly restored original) in the bus. Finally got rid of the non-working, 150 mph abomination that was in there. Twisted Evil

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 20 Speedo1n[/URL][/img]

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 20 Oldspeedo[/URL][/img]
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:40 pm

DiggerD wrote:Installed the new speedo (newly restored original) in the bus. Finally got rid of the non-working, 150 mph abomination that was in there. Twisted Evil

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 20 Speedo1n[/URL][/img]

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 20 Oldspeedo[/URL][/img]

It looks like it would be worth installing in a stock bug just for the lolz. what was wrong with it? was it off, or just didn't work at all? is it for sale Wink ?
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:51 pm

The internals are all messed up, it made so much noise I disconnected it because I was tired of hearing it. It was pretty rigged up to make it work, I am suprised it didn't catch fire or something worse....... Shocked I just put it in the box with all the other "custom" parts I have taken off or repaired. Guess I will keep them in case old magazine cars from the 80's gets as popular here as it has in Europe and I want to put it back to that condition. Wink

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 20 Vwt2[/URL][/img]

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 20 Vwt1[/URL][/img]
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:53 pm

hahaha, gotcha. Still looks cool tho. I can imagine all the "Yeah right"'s you got when people saw that, lol. i get "yeah right" 's when people see 90 on there Laughing
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:09 pm

I tested my mass air sensor on the waterbug with a VOM and it checked out within specs. I took it for ride to the QT to see how the clutch felt and to see how well it runs. Ran great and the clutch didn't slip and no more oil leaks. Yessssssssss!!!!!! Cool

However it overheated for the first time ever and I believe the thermostat is stuck. Cheap fix but hard to get to as it's on the trans side of the motor below the valve cover. You can't see diddly so it'll be the braille method to replace it or pull the motor again....noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:12 pm

Gave the Jolly Rancher his semi-annual bath.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by goatfarmer67 Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:52 pm

mounted a stereo head unit in the bug.dont know how it sounds yet cuz i aint got no speakers.doesnt matter,
i'm still deaf from the ac/dc concert friday night Twisted Evil

goatfarmer67
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:48 pm

On the waterbug I was mistaken about the thermostat location.... actually the thermostat is behind the power steering pump and the A/C compressor right behind and beside the water pump. I'm putting on a new timing belt, new thermostat, new water pump and tension pully tomorrow when the parts arrive.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:13 am

The Jolly Rancher now has Stockornaut Discs on the front! alien Stops instantly and straight as an arrow.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next