Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+55
scott
peregrine67
vwgirl
drewBAKER
56rag
shaky
fried_chicken
DOODLE BUGG
vwtattooed
71Ghia
tarvw
buggin70
Stockornaut Restorations
Buss66
stasher1
goatfarmer67
buggin58
56HAVOC
skunk
Joe
panic_fan
Damn-it Don
mroberts
laith
Cambur
Johnny
Yaeger
BKiller
ASBug
daltondragger73
Grifspop
57RTOval
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
jshmnghm
fluxcap
59suicide
fearthefat138
vwovalchild
tito
VW12step
adams77
rpm750
65type2dailydriver
tronview
zabo
meinvw
bakertim2
39coupe
bumblebuggy
69panel
aircooledaddicts
71_georgia_beetle
Bugman114
Goped406
DiggerD
59 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by laith Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:59 am

Yeah..familiar with Kennedy...but didn't realize that the mounts were a kit.

Dreamed of doing something like the waterbug for a long time...but with my current project load I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Maybe something more like this:

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=228314&ck=

Thanks!
laith
laith
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by 69panel Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:43 pm

Laith,

That is a sharp bug and 16 valve with a turbo. I'm sure it's quick. Mine is not anywhere near that nice but I'm still working on it.

I got the motor back in this afternoon and I ran out of steam. I had to flatten the rear tires to make the jack I was using tall enough because the car was on my drive on lift. I'll probably finish the details tomorrow...like wiring...exhaust system...cooling system.

I picked up my header from the powder-coater this afternoon. I went by Stockornaut and picked up the plastic dipstick receiver from Billie.

Did you know Billie can get most parts for air cooled or water cooled either the same day or next morning? I believe he said any brand of automobile as well.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stockornaut Restorations Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:23 pm

Yes we can get most parts for any car same day or next and very good quality stuff! All aircooled and watercooled stuff is OE german stuff at good prices. Let us know how we can help!

Alex
Stockornaut Restorations
Stockornaut Restorations
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:54 pm

Scored a rail today for FREE!!! Pics below. Pretty much a complete rail minus engine and tranny. really beefy frame. Still not sure exactly what i plan to do with it. came with huge tires, aluminum gas tank, lights, auto stick starter, all the hardware, fberglass seats with covers, racing harnesses, and 2 BRAND NEW boot kits (one complete kit for IRS, with bolts and grease, and another kit for a swing axle tranny). One of the best things about it is the front end is in much better condition then the front end i have on my other rail (still some play in the linkpins, but not as much as the other rail Laughing ). It also came with a new dual circuit master cylinder, and a nice set of JAMAR turning brakes. This bugger is HEAVY. the tubing seems to be 1.5 inch .120 wall. It is much heavier then my other rail, lol. also some of the welds on it were pretty crappy, and the PO had taken it to his shop, and re-welded the crappy welds, so its much better now.

I took these pics a few weeks ago, and he just called me the yesterday, and said "hey you want it", lol.

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 101_2443
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 101_2445
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 101_2449
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 101_2450
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 101_2444
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 101_2446
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 101_2451
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 101_2452
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 101_2453
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 101_2454
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 101_2455
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 101_2458
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by buggin70 Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:12 pm

Bugman114 wrote:Scored a rail today for FREE!!! Pics below. Pretty much a complete rail minus engine and tranny. really beefy frame. Still not sure exactly what i plan to do with it. came with huge tires, aluminum gas tank, lights, auto stick starter, all the hardware, fberglass seats with covers, racing harnesses, and 2 BRAND NEW boot kits (one complete kit for IRS, with bolts and grease, and another kit for a swing axle tranny). One of the best things about it is the front end is in much better condition then the front end i have on my other rail (still some play in the linkpins, but not as much as the other rail Laughing ). It also came with a new dual circuit master cylinder, and a nice set of JAMAR turning brakes. This bugger is HEAVY. the tubing seems to be 1.5 inch .120 wall. It is much heavier then my other rail, lol. also some of the welds on it were pretty crappy, and the PO had taken it to his shop, and re-welded the crappy welds, so its much better now.

I took these pics a few weeks ago, and he just called me the yesterday, and said "hey you want it", lol.

how do u come across these deals?

buggin70
buggin70
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:31 pm

buggin70 wrote:
how do u come across these deals?

Just lucky i guess, lol. Still not sure what i'm gonna do with it, as i already have another rail (the one i got from bryce).

Just a little background so you know what i'm about to say:

this rail i just got is my 3rd rail.

the rail i got from bryce is my second.

My first rail, came in pieces, and wasn't complete (seperate cage, rear clip with tranny, and a beam).

Anyhoo, i later found out, the botom rails on my first rail were rusted out, making the whole cage useless. so i started looking for another rail, and i came across bryce's. then a few days later (yesterday), i got this one for free. so my plans are to get the free rail running. just to mess around with around the house. so i plan to use the tranny and axles and everything, from the clip from my first rail project, and maybe even the front beam (plan to use free rail beam on the rail i got from bryce, cuz its in much better condition). and then slap on a 36hp i just happen to have lying around. and once its running i'll worry about upgrading later (IRS tranny, bigger motor, and might even stretch it out to a four seater later on since the roof is soo high, etc.). Or i might just pass it along, we'll see, lol. even if i do keep it, i'm definately not gonna spend much money on it. i'm just gonna use what i just happen to have lying around to get it running. the one i got from bryce, is the one i'm gonna dump all my money into, lol.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:20 am

Had to limp it home almost 300 miles! Had a long weekend planned but the bus let me down. My alt went out when i got up south of Charlotte NC. Knew something was up when I checked into the hotel and had to use a jump-box to start it. Well next morning it was dead so got it started with the box and decided to head back home instead of further away. A few miles into the trip noticed my wipers were slowing down and gauges were acting funny so hooked the jump box back to the battery while driving (benifit of a gon!) and that gave me the power to keep going. Box was about to die around Spartanburg so called a friend who lives near there and luckily he was home. Made it to his house with 3% left on the box! He did not have an alt that would fit it so hung out there for a few hours and charged the battery, plugged in the jump boxes and took off hoping I would have enough to make it the last 150 miles. Made it to the outskirts of atl and had to swap boxes there, again while driving and ended up 5 miles from the house and both boxes had made it to 0%. Luckily it had enough juice left to make it home. Close one, sweating the whole way!!
Put a spare alt on it and back up and running again, looks like a spare alt and battery will join the travel kit now!!!!
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by tito Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:59 pm

picked up a pair of 40 Kadrons. soon as armageddon is over outside..... ill throw them on.
tito
tito
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:17 pm

Went to drive the 74 super today, and when i shut the door, it won't catch. it closed normally, but wouldn't stay shut, as if someone was holding the handle open while trying to shut it. i then noticed the catch on the door (the parts that pivots, and hits the striker on the door channel), was moving freely. i was able to pivot it back and fourth. i got the mechanism out, and it turns out the return spring that goes on the back plate, to the stop plate, broke. so with out it, the pivot can not lock and hold the door shut. so i'm off to homedepot to see if i can find a spring that will work.

before all that drama, i was cleaning some of the parts of the free rail i got. i plan to use all the good stuff on the black rail, and then use what ever i have lying around, to get the free rail running. i'll prolly use it as a utility vehicle, and use it to haul stuff around my house, and to play around with (basically like a large 4 wheeler, lol).
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:06 pm

moved the free rail to my backyard (had to take the fence down, because my other rail was blocking the gate, hahaha). then put the fence back up after i rolled it to the back. gonna started cleaning up the extra tranny i had lying around. its a swing tranny, even tho the rail is IRS, but the tranny is still on the rear clip (basically the whole rear suspension). So i'll have to swap over the swingaxle tranny, torsion bars, and spring plates, since the ones for IRS are different. and since the free rail came with a new set of IRS boots, and swing axle boots, i'll use the swing boots, for the free rail, and the IRS boots for my other rail. so it works out great, lol. Laughing
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:16 pm

Got the tranny and swing axles off of the clip i had lying around. next is to bolt it all up, but gonna order the mounts from stockornaut as soon as i figure out exactly which is the right ones, lol.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by 59suicide Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:18 pm

Did a third gear burnout in the rain :Rockit: thats all the way to 6k rpms could have hit fourth but I knew the tranny was feeling that one, Toby was running like a blood hungry beast looking for some fresh meat today Very Happy Got my adrenalin going a few times
59suicide
59suicide
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by buggin70 Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:24 pm

my wipers stopped working so i took the motor out and took it all apart and lubed everything now they are faster then i have ever seen
<all w/ the help of my grandfather>
<and info or better yet sugestion of ASbug>

check that off the broken list haha lol!
buggin70
buggin70
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by 59suicide Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:43 pm

buggin70 wrote:my wipers stopped working so i took the motor out and took it all apart and lubed everything now they are faster then i have ever seen

There will always be a broken list... I havent had an ebrake since I bought it, and my wipers just started cutting off when I stop and work when I accelerate scratch I kinda like it so I will leave it until there done
59suicide
59suicide
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by buggin70 Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 pm

59suicide wrote:
buggin70 wrote:my wipers stopped working so i took the motor out and took it all apart and lubed everything now they are faster then i have ever seen

There will always be a broken list... I havent had an ebrake since I bought it, and my wipers just started cutting off when I stop and work when I accelerate scratch I kinda like it so I will leave it until there done

hahaahah i know lol just makein a point lol!
buggin70
buggin70
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:51 pm

Took motor out, took trans out, took seats out.......

Removed clutch cable looks like the day I put it in couple months ago. I also found that the clutch tube is bent up the last 3 inches , I bent it back down so it is straight now. Tried my new bowden tube with no luck, still has the chatter. Removed the pressure plate, disk all that looks good. Removed the urethane motor and trans mounts will install stock ones, I want this chatter problem gone. If I can't fix it I may sell the thing!!!!

Also found that my rear shoes are about 10mm narrower than the drum. I bought wider shoes for 68 on cars and they do not fit the backing plate. My car was changed over to 4 lug before I got it. Trying to work that out also, will take parts off the junk '68 if need be! Will be recovering my seats, carpet, yada, yada ,yada!
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:56 pm

does the bowden tube have the proper "bend" to it?
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:07 pm

Yeah, this problem is not your run of the mill one, I've been there tried all that and I still have this problem! I've been thinking that the tube is the problem it looks like it goes to the bottom of the pan in the tunnel, I think the rear most fastening point had a bracket that was about 2 inches off the bottom of the pan. In other words the tube is pretty much straight until it gets to the back of the car. This tube was repaired at some point and I'm thinking they f'd it up.

That just my luck!!!
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:16 am

rpm750 wrote: I've been thinking that the tube is the problem it looks like it goes to the bottom of the pan in the tunnel, I think the rear most fastening point had a bracket that was about 2 inches off the bottom of the pan. In other words the tube is pretty much straight until it gets to the back of the car.

Yeah, looking at the pictures on this site http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/inside63tunnel.html (you can click on sections of the full picture for close-ups) it looks like the last mounting tab is below the handbrake. And it does look to be around 2 inches up from the bottom. From there, the tube makes a slight bend until it exits around the framehorns.

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 19 63_tunnel6
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:47 am

On your bowden tube shim it out as far as it will go. Had the same issue in my 62 that had the arms cut off to put in a chevy engine. The clutch cable tube had been cut loose and moved to the other side. It was pretty straight and no where close to where it needed to be. I moved it over and ended up using large washers and increasing the bend as far as possible. It was almost u-shaped when done but it did take out the chatter. Been awhile but Think I also had to extend the tube a bit using a throtle cable tube from a 40H.
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:15 pm

Thanks Eric, we have a small camera on a flexale cable that I'm going to borrow and see if it looks like that inside my tunnel. Also check the lower door hinge area while I have it.

Jerome, yeah I've shimmed the thing out a ton and it damaged my old Bowden tube. Also the pedal is real tight when it's done that way. I'll have to live with it I guess. I'm hoping it's a combination of things. Trans mount, bowden tube, clutch tube being bent up the last 3" and not much grease on the cable.
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:06 pm

Still working on the 66's pan. Found a little more rust so I went ahead and removed the rear drivers side brace and half of the front firewall support..... Haven't even started on the passenger side....Rolling Eyes Guess the patina wont roll to Tampa....

Also ran some the pan washers and bolts through the tumbler (def a nice investment)

So now I have to buy a new front support and put it in. I also need to get some weldable primer. Then i can put the driver side pan in and start all over on the passenger side... Still need to finish unbolting the tranny and the front beam so I can get it up on the horses. All in time though...... Its going to be nice!
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988
Registration date : 2008-07-20

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:57 am

What kind of tumbler do you use? I have one of the orbital cans and it works pretty good but slowwww.
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:14 pm

Worked on tha rail today. discovered that it had been painted like 8 times. Primer, red, more primer black, more primer, white, yellow then black again. i took a scraper and scraped a big chunk off the floor pan, and the paint is almost 1/8 of an inch thick in some places Shocked Shocked Shocked . i'm looking in to just taking the whole frame to a shop to have them sand blast and powder coat the whole shabang. gonna see how much its gonna cost 2morrow.

Also i installed four large round off-road lights on the roof, to large rectangle lights right above the beam, as the primary headlights, and four red round lights in the rear as the turn signal/ brake lights (the turn signal lights are round red ones, with a blue dot in the center..... thanks sean Wink ). All those lights make it look soo badass. for the rear i plan to have a total of 7 round red lights, all the same size, but staggered, so that the center one is farthest out, and the end ones are closer, prolly have the center 5 lights as the brake lights, and the 2 end ones as the turn signals.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:23 pm

Installed new Popout seals on both windows, I may never be able to play bass again!
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next