Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+55
scott
peregrine67
vwgirl
drewBAKER
56rag
shaky
fried_chicken
DOODLE BUGG
vwtattooed
71Ghia
tarvw
buggin70
Stockornaut Restorations
Buss66
stasher1
goatfarmer67
buggin58
56HAVOC
skunk
Joe
panic_fan
Damn-it Don
mroberts
laith
Cambur
Johnny
Yaeger
BKiller
ASBug
daltondragger73
Grifspop
57RTOval
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
jshmnghm
fluxcap
59suicide
fearthefat138
vwovalchild
tito
VW12step
adams77
rpm750
65type2dailydriver
tronview
zabo
meinvw
bakertim2
39coupe
bumblebuggy
69panel
aircooledaddicts
71_georgia_beetle
Bugman114
Goped406
DiggerD
59 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by rpm750 Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:43 pm

Went to Pull A Part and looked over some parts. Took this pic of Glenn's Buggy while going down the freeway...
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 6575_1148389441160_1570317247_370332_215612_n
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by 39coupe Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:48 pm

Adjusted the clutch and the brakes. WOW!! Now I can go and stop.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 455
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by 57RTOval Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:38 pm

Finished welding the adjusters in the front beam yesterday and got it installed back in the car this AM. Just need to hook the brakes back up and bleed them then I can drive the 66 again! Poor thing's been up on jack stands for three weeks.
57RTOval
57RTOval
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 530
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by vwovalchild Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:15 pm

The Dash comes off. Started tearing the dash out of the German Look today. Tired of the bad section under the glove box. Then the starter is next.

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 IMG_0447
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 IMG_0515
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 IMG_0522
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 IMG_0523

Last edited by votwing on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwovalchild
vwovalchild
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2008-07-27

http://www.AirCooledArcheology.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:53 pm

Welded up the factory side view mirror hole on the waterbug. Ground down the weld boogers...put filler and sanded, primed and painted. Installed an aftermarket flag mirror from Autozone.

Greased the front beams. Adjusted the steering stops. Adjusted the slop out of the steering box.

Put foil-bubble-foil on the floor pans and old carpet from the '68. It is more quiet inside than before.

***Almost forgot Stockornaut came through again. I was missing the shift rod hole plug in the front apron and Billie had one. Thanks, Billie

Last edited by 69panel on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

Post by aircooledaddicts Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:10 pm

Put new tires on the rear...205/65/15 and ordered my Herbie decals cheers
Hot Rod Herbie is almost here
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1670

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:01 pm

nice gary-

had to drill and tap an oil drain plate stud.
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Goped406 Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:52 pm

i did nothing to my volkswagen today, i need to do stuff to it
Goped406
Goped406
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:58 pm

Finally finished the flame thrower. didn't work too well. only kind of worked when screaming down the road, or when driving down the road, i turn the engine off for a second or two, and when i restart it, it popps loud. now to find a safe way to add either some propane, or gas Twisted Evil
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:11 pm

Bugman114 wrote:Finally finished the flame thrower. didn't work too well. only kind of worked when screaming down the road, or when driving down the road, i turn the engine off for a second or two, and when i restart it, it popps loud. now to find a safe way to add either some propane, or gas Twisted Evil

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 01150101161401040720080[/URL][/img]
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:47 pm

I pulled the front fenders and I shimmed the lower beam and flipped the tie rod ends. Now maybe it will handle better and when cornering I won't have bump steer with the tie rods flipped.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Got my wheels in yesterday.

Tried to get my tires mounted today......Fronts went on no problem but the rears were a different story. I tried a new tire guy a local guy. I figured I would try and give him some business and I willl probably use him for most of my stuff but he couldn't get the rears on. It wasn't really his fault for not being able to get them on as I am trying to put 215s on 5inch rims. He did scratch one of my brand new rims but only a little. I had a feeling it was going to happen but it isn't bad so I let it slide. He only charged me 10 bucks to mount and balance both fronts so.....

Now I guess I will be going to my regular tire guy on Friday when I return from Savannah. I have also got to find some lugs so I can mount the new shoes.
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:58 am

After flipping the tie rod ends on the waterbug. I went for a test drive. It was squirrely as hell and incredibly sensitive to steering wheel movement. I arrived back home and checked the toe-in and even though I only put one half a turn on each tie rod end when I flipped them on the spindle end. The toe-in was way...way out. I suppose flipping the tie rods changes more than just the geometry or the toe-in was out bad before I started. I measured and fiddled until it now has just a small amount of toe-in about and eighth of and inch.

Do you know how ugly a yellow pully nested in ballancer painted metallic red is? I do.

I pulled the pulleys, the harmonic balancer and the lateral engine mount. I cleaned them all and feathered some flaking paint before painting all semi-gloss black. The PO had painted the pulleys yellow and the harmonic balancer and lateral motor mount metallic red. Also he painted part...only part of the engine block yellow...I painted it back to black to match the rest of the block.

I was looking at the rear of the car and noticed that the tail light assemblies were not symmetrical. I measured both the height and width from the edge of of each respective fender edge on both assemblies. The drivers side was one and one half an inch out width wise. [too close to the body] I pulled the assembly marked and drilled new holes in the fender and bolted it back on. Double checked with the tape and now they are the same. I can't believe I missed that screw-up for so long. I guess we see what we want to see kind of like the proud parents of a butt ugly baby...to them it's beautiful and they don't see the flaws.

I also put fender beading on the fenders. I undercoated the new metal that Stockornaut welded on to replace the rusty bits on the front inner fender well while I had the front fenders off to drill the spindles for flipping the tie rods.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:07 am

So far a good week in the vw world here, guess the camping helped!
Wens night loaded a front beetle clip on the roofrack of the 67 bug and drove it up to stockornauts for some dinner and a look at the shop, then yesterday finnaly got the gon to pass emmissions after 3 months of agravation! All legal and registered now!! now time to part the euro, and start on the cleanup of the gon. Parts should be here on Mon to get back on the westy, so looking good in the neighborhood!
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:41 pm

I got my rear tires mounted today and they look nasty. 215/60/15s on a 5 inch rim

Now if I can find the right length lug so I can get the rims mounted on the car
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:32 pm

today, i replaced the return line from the turbo on my 74 super bug. got the hose (and new fittings) from a hydrolic shop in forest park (near IAS). there i found out, they have pretty much ANY kind of hose i would ever need ( silicon turbo hose, high pressure hose, REALLY nice looking fuel line thats resistant to ethonal, and could even get it steel braided in either stanless steel or nickel, any kind of fitting known to man, etc.). and the prices weren't bad at all. definately going there for anll my hoses, and lines from now on.

Anyhoo, after getting all that together, and cleaning up the motor a bit, i go to start it to go to work, and it won't start. the ignition switch is going bad (a problem that was plaguing me for months, but hasn't happened for over 6 months), so i take a screw driver to the ford solenoid in the back seat, and it sarts up. then i hit the gas, it moves about 20 feet, and foot goes to the floor Mad . DAMN accelerator cable breaks. I took that as a sign, that something didn't want me driving the bug to work 2day. i mean, its kinda wierd, that something that hasn't bothered me in half a year, all of a sudden popps up again, then imediately afterwards, the accel cable breaks. so i said screw it, and drove the water pumper to work. seems to be some divine intervention goin on............. or just cheap chineese shit Laughing .
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:31 pm

Put a new fuel pump on the Jolly Rancher. (knew I was going to regret talkin smack about how I never break down)
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:17 pm

bumblebuggy wrote:Put a new fuel pump on the Jolly Rancher. (knew I was going to regret talkin smack about how I never break down)

Oh yeah, well i break down all the time, so there.............. does that mean now i'll never break down again, Laughing

Just finished replacing the accel cable on my bug. also put some of that corregated plastic flexible tubing looking stuff (not sure what you call it), around the wires in my engine compartment, to make it look a little better. it matches that really nice looking hose i just replaced on the oil return line from the turbo. looks alot cleaner now. So tomorrow i'll prolly be cleaning all the oil off the engine (when the return line broke, it sprayed oil all over the motor). and i'll prolly get some pics up, because:

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 2189568405_c1003315b0
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:01 pm

I went with a buddy to rescue another '68 Bug from the woods.
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Yesterday I finally got my stupid electric fuel gauge working in the 68 speedometer. The fuel gauge kept grounding out on the speedometer. I picked up a different gauge at pull-a-part the other weekend, and that one fits the opening better and doesn't contact the speedo. Now I get to drive around for a week and see how accurate it is.

I also added a 12v outlet to charge my GPS or phone. I didn't want to mount it under the dash and my glove box is already pretty full, so I decided to mount it in the ashtray which I never use anyways. The other option was to do it like the dealerships did back in the day and drill a big hole in the dash. I figured it be a lot easier to throw a new ashtray in rather than fix a hole in the dash if I get tired of later down the road. I had to cut a hole in the ashtray faceplate and the tray itself to fit the outlet. I used the cigarette lighter style of outlet since it comes with something to plug the hole (the lighter). I took the black knob off the lighter and swapped it with the original ashtray knob. At a quick glance, you wouldn't even know an outlet was there.

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 CIMG4366

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 CIMG4383

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 CIMG4368

Noticed my reverse light was out last night. While trouble shooting that problem, I left the car in reverse for a long time. Then noticed a big puddle of tranny fluid under the car. My back-up switch had broken, and when in the "on" position, fluid would just pour right through it. No local stores had one, so I went to Herrell's today and got a new switch. Reverse light is working again!

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 CIMG4373
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:52 pm

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 CIMG4383

cheers That is freakin awesome!!!!!
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:16 pm

I'm very happy with it. It just barely fits, if I had made the hole 1mm higher it wouldn't have cleared.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:15 pm

yep-nice one eric!

i pulled the old ford seatbelts from my car today- trying to figure out the easiest way to get my WW 3 points in there.

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 2232465529_0db0861867
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:20 pm

Got my rims on the car today!

Will post some pics tomorrow
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:42 pm

Got up an went to herrells and brought
me a alternator. Got it home and put it
in problem solve.
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next