Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+85
wagtag
Johnny
ryneb21
panic_fan
vdubyou709
sdmjam
wdstang
R33ce97
jotty
shaky
57RTOval
Slim4life
runabout199
ultralite
Knumb Knucks
jtcap
56rag
jim conner
limabean79
macollins105
ridikas
reprobate3
Brooks424
Murdock00
Major62
damon23
vwtattooed
Damn-it Don
60andslow
Attack chicken
aircooledaddicts
ibjamn
johnvalkennedy
laith
DubDawg2579
bulldawgdude
vdubbers
uBER_SLO
vw57drvr
Bugman114
Muffler Bearing
hly3rd
67vdub
RomanBug
Gabass
720boy
cjvan71
DiggerD
jshmnghm
bayboy87
MRJEL
Hobug
tronview
type4revolution
bumblebuggy
68beetlebug
ggaagg57
guytonbug
Hookdriver
rican11
Heinz57
yayarudy
jerryg66
ASBug
callahan
drvr8
earlyvwfanatic
PeeWeeMan91
bakertim2
pwmcguire
Laz
peregrine67
fried_chicken
Grifspop
sploval53
BKiller
DOODLE BUGG
redneck_davis
zabo
Jon65
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
rpm750
ping349n
fluxcap
type901
89 posters

Page 1 of 34 1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 34  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? Empty What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by type901 Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:06 pm

Replaced the Spare tire well and cleaned up the apron and some rust under the well. Got dark so no pics of the finished product.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? Hpim4717
What did you do to your volkswagen today? Hpim4718
What did you do to your volkswagen today? Hpim4716
What did you do to your volkswagen today? Hpim4719

type901
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by fluxcap Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Coming along nicely Phillip!

I got the crusty dusty speedometer I bought at Bulli cleaned up. Replaced the gels, painted the needle, and painted the inner circle and outer ring. When I had the needle off, I re-adujsted it just a tad to account for my new slightly smaller than stock front tires. It's now off a few mph in the 10-30 mph range, but pretty close in the 40-60mph range. Unfortunately, the needle starts getting pretty bouncy around 60mph Rolling Eyes . Oh well, I can just look at the GPS to see how fast I'm going if I hit the interstate. At least the speedometer looks nice now!

What did you do to your volkswagen today? CIMG2949

Also replaced my hi/lo beam relay since the old one crapped out and decided to work only when it wanted to. Also took my turn signal switch apart and re-bent a few connections in there so I can now signal a left hand turn without having to hold the stalk in the sweet spot! While I was at it, I noticed the cancel ring was mounted on the steering wheel incorrectly, so I fixed that and now also have blinkers that turn themselves off when they are supposed too cheers
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by type901 Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:18 pm

Eric that speedo looks brand new. Looks great.

I decided to stop fearing the rear corner and welded it in. Corner radius was off and had to shorten a flange by 1/16th so my Hinge carrier will look level. This is not the right Hinge carrier, so I am just test fitting with it.
Took all sorts of rigging to get the opening right.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? Hpim4720
Starting to look like a bus from the rear now.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? Hpim4721

What did you do to your volkswagen today? Hpim4722

type901
Dub Crazy

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:37 pm

The speedometer looks great, but I just know the bouncy needle will drive me crazy. It's not just bouncy, I mean it's all over the place around 60mph. Up to 60 it's fine, but after that it starts looking like a radar.

Therefore I messed with the original some more to see if I could get it working again. Got it re-installed, and will test it against the GPS tomorrow.

The new corner is looking great! I've got some rot to fix on the lower 3 or so inches of my corners, but hopefully won't have to replace the whole panel.
For as great as everyone says those green panels are, you (and others I've read) sure do have a hard time getting them to go on without some tweaking. Everyone is out of the funky green lower door skin for the front passenger doors. I tried autocraft, but it doesn't look like they are making this one yet either.

Luckily I've still got plenty of interior work to keep me busy finishing my headliner to wait on that door skin to come back in stock. Laughing
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by type901 Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:01 pm

At least it is not screaming when it gets to 60, talk about scaring you to death. You are borderline making that thing to comfortable for my taste, aren't there suppose to be things that do not work in them??

The only panel that fit well was the long rocker, it was pretty dead on. Everything else is close but still takes some managing to get right.
That corner really did not look terrible at the hatch but once I opened it up the inner structure was gone so this took probably 30 hrs to complete.
I have a guy suppose to ship me a passenger door so You can get these repair panels if it gets here in the condition he has described.

type901
Dub Crazy

Back to top Go down

Post by ping349n Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Installed my ebrake!!! Kinda nerve racking driving a 50 year old car around with a single circuit master and no ebrake! Also finally got the deck lid put back in. Looks pretty good. I think once I buff out the original paint, it should match a little better.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? C97D7E87-9B65-485E-9B2A-4519E2578157-5190-000005C34B24A163
ping349n
ping349n
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 344
Registration date : 2011-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:10 pm

type901 wrote:At least it is not screaming when it gets to 60, talk about scaring you to death. You are borderline making that thing to comfortable for my taste, aren't there suppose to be things that do not work in them??
You know how it goes, you fix one thing, and something else stops working! Laughing
type901 wrote:The only panel that fit well was the long rocker, it was pretty dead on. Everything else is close but still takes some managing to get right.
That corner really did not look terrible at the hatch but once I opened it up the inner structure was gone so this took probably 30 hrs to complete.
I have a guy suppose to ship me a passenger door so You can get these repair panels if it gets here in the condition he has described.

That's part of the reason I keep putting off the metal work on my bus, scared I'll start digging deeper and find parts totally gone once I dig in. I'm worried the smaller rust areas I have on the nose will turn into bigger projects, but I'll eventually get to them. And I got a few frame sections I'll need to replace eventually.
Yeah, I'd definitely like to buy that door piece if you don't end up needing it, hopefully the door coming to you will be mint.

ping349n wrote:Installed my ebrake!!! Kinda nerve racking driving a 50 year old car around with a single circuit master and no ebrake! [/img]
I have to fix my ebrake. Stopped by my parents the past weekend and replaced all the rubber fuel lines for good ol preventative maintenance. Then discovered the push button for the ebrake had stripped its threads and popped out of the handle leaving it non-functional. Didn't have time to investigate it, so that'll have to wait. See my text above about fixing one thing, only to have something else brake. Very Happy
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 pm

But the damn horn works! I think that is the first thing Eric works on when he gets a project!
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:33 pm

rpm750 wrote:But the damn horn works! I think that is the first thing Eric works on when he gets a project!

Well it is very important to have a working horn while driving thru the mountains to use during the tunnels!

And Phillip the bug and bus are looking good!
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon65 Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:54 am

ping349n wrote:
What did you do to your volkswagen today? C97D7E87-9B65-485E-9B2A-4519E2578157-5190-000005C34B24A163

That looks awesome. Nice car. cheers

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:55 am

rpm750 wrote:But the damn horn works! I think that is the first thing Eric works on when he gets a project!

Heck yeah, you never know when some bonehead is going to stop in the middle of a two lane road and attempt a 8point u-turn. Gotta let them know you ain't cutting em any slack.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:28 am

Bocephus yields to no one even at Fort DeSoto!
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:57 pm

noticed a knocking from my rear wheel at low speeds, maybe its there at higher but cant tell.

Pulled the drum and everything looked fine- tightened up everything while i was there, trans oil good... noise still happening scratch

zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Drove car first time
but needed gas

What did you do to your volkswagen today? 76399_10

Back to top Go down

Post by redneck_davis Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:49 am

Side bars came in. JCW overstocked and sold on ebay 50bux free shippin. Local parts store ripped me a new one w the 14dollar can of bedliner paint though. . 6 large sheetmetal screws failed the jump test. Spilt; my beer but stayed on my feet Smile

What did you do to your volkswagen today? 2012-11-22_01-39-04_451
redneck_davis
redneck_davis
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2012-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:49 am

cheep jcw crap
DOODLE BUGG
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1643
Registration date : 2008-12-01

http://bugglife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BKiller Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Mounted up the new rims on the SP2.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? B03c6122157b11bcdab8f2544d599897
BKiller
BKiller
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 687
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon65 Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Prepped it to be taken to the shop tommorow.

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by redneck_davis Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:57 pm

Empi crap. Aint nothin the welder wont fix
redneck_davis
redneck_davis
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2012-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by sploval53 Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:57 pm

Shit it's almost all carp now a days unless u go with a company that isn't a cookie cutter store like empi
sploval53
sploval53
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon65 Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:08 pm

OEM all the way.

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:19 pm

BKiller wrote:Mounted up the new rims on the SP2.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? B03c6122157b11bcdab8f2544d599897

The SP2 is looking real nice with those wheels! Very Happy
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fried_chicken Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:26 pm

Jacked the frontend up and took the front hubcaps off, wow I got a lot more to do lol.
fried_chicken
fried_chicken
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon65 Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Found out my dual carbs are shot.

Now I gotta remove them from my signature. Crying or Very sad

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by type901 Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Decided to stop crying about a perfect door and fixed the one that came on the bus.
Very time consuming, but the end result is ok with me.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? Hpim4723
What did you do to your volkswagen today? Hpim4724
What did you do to your volkswagen today? Hpim4725

type901
Dub Crazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 34 1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 34  Next