Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+55
scott
peregrine67
vwgirl
drewBAKER
56rag
shaky
fried_chicken
DOODLE BUGG
vwtattooed
71Ghia
tarvw
buggin70
Stockornaut Restorations
Buss66
stasher1
goatfarmer67
buggin58
56HAVOC
skunk
Joe
panic_fan
Damn-it Don
mroberts
laith
Cambur
Johnny
Yaeger
BKiller
ASBug
daltondragger73
Grifspop
57RTOval
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
jshmnghm
fluxcap
59suicide
fearthefat138
vwovalchild
tito
VW12step
adams77
rpm750
65type2dailydriver
tronview
zabo
meinvw
bakertim2
39coupe
bumblebuggy
69panel
aircooledaddicts
71_georgia_beetle
Bugman114
Goped406
DiggerD
59 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 25 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by Bugman114 Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:03 pm

did some more work on the sand rail. got the transmission off, and the right side rear wheel, caliper and rotor off. i sure hope it wasn't previously drivin in that condition as all the bolts were hand tight. the two fat bolts that hold the saddle mount, on the two frame horns were halfway backed out, the nuts holding the tranny mounts were lose, and most of the cv joint bolts were also loose. i think they may have been run like that cause some of those cv bolts were bent, and seemed to be pounded, and the axle nut was loose, and the type 3 hub also seemed badly pounded out. gotta love PO's Laughing .
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 25 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:22 pm

Finally installed the passenger side windshield wiper arm and blade on java.....Also adjusted the carb. on it to try and get the bogging out of it. While doing that I found out that the carb is probably going to need replacing. The settings on the carb were so far out of wack I have no clue how it was running and running as good as it was..... What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 25 Icon_eek
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988
Registration date : 2008-07-20

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by laith Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:49 pm

59 Euro Rag wrote:
vwtattooed wrote:WHAT HARNESS WOULD YOU NEED IF YOU ARE CONVERTING TO CARB? RUN A PERTRONIX IGNITOR IN THE DIZZY AND WIRE UP THE COIL WITH SWITCH POWER...WHAT ELSE? IF IT IS AN EARLY STYLE ALTERNATOR IT IS ONE WIRE HOOK UP.

I think there are some sensors that need to be wired up and the front lights may also run through the Harness I'm not sure laith prob knows for sure

A lot depends on what you have to start with and where you want to end up. What do you have? Is it a stock '75 main harness with injection/ignition harness from whatever the 16V donor was (looks like an A2)? or is it front to back complete with fuse box from the donor? Or something else? What you want to have in terms of dash, guages, and fusebox also affects things.

If it were me, I would unwrap the harness and take a good look at what you have and go from there.
laith
laith
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:58 am

Took the ASBug to Coker tire in Chatt. TN for display in the National VW Christmas party.
There were some nice NICE cars in there, Ferrari, Porshe, Etc. Corkey only has 2 VW's in his collection though, a 1956 Oval and a 1960's Bus. The rest of the VW's for the party he sourced, a 1962 beetle and a 1976 Westfalia Deluxe. It was chosen to represent the 1970's late model beetles because it is very OEM with the only changes being the wheels, tires and foglights, and it being an autostick.

Any way, Sorry for the poor quality of photos, it was a camera phone in a dark room...Nuff said.

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 25 Image010
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 25 Image110
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 25 Image111

I'll try to get some photos of the event if I can, I wasn't invited, just the car.

KC Very Happy
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:30 pm

I finally got off my lazy ass, and took off the turbo header off my bug. it was basically j-tubes WELDED to a stinger header, meaning it was a PITA to get on and off, as you have to pull and bend it out to get it over the studs. anyhoo, got it off, and got my heaterboxes back on. while throwing the stinger header on, i had one of those DOH moments. i realized that the exhaust clamps actually go on in one direction. if you look at the clamp one side has a bigger opening then the other, one side for the heaterbox pipe, and the bigger side for the pipe that goes over. I thought to my self "those damn germans found another way to make me look stupid, hahaha".

Anyhoo, got it alltogether, and started it up. was checking for leaks, when all of a sudden i notice a small drop of oil on the cylinder tin. then it got bigger and bigger. it turns out the oil pressure switch was leaking from the inside. and the only reason i nocited, was because i had the ass end of the car jacked up rediculously high, so i could get my fat ass under to change the exhaust easy, lol. anyhoo, now i need a new switch, lol. what else could go wrong. i took it for a drive, and the motor that had been free of oil for the past few months was oily once again Mad . it seems every few months something has to leak. anyhoo, its off to advance auto tomorrow for a few cans of brake cleaner, and then to the local VW shop for a new switch.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Changed the oil in Java
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Hot wired java after Ashley broke the ignition key off in the door handle......
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:12 pm

Attorney Isaiah Loophole wrote:Hot wired java after Ashley broke the ignition key off in the door handle......

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 25 Homerk

Doh!!
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:33 am

I didn't drive the Jolly Rancher to work today. I think my untested GEX powerplant may have given up the ghost after over three years and roughly 60 thousand miles. I went to check the oil before heading to work and found a good portion of the life giving liquid sitting on the floor of the garage. Oil was slung all over the engine compartment and on the muffler. I think it may be leaking from the main pulley. I'll, most likely, be pulling the engine from the buggy for a swap after work tonight.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:40 am

ah man, we were just talking about that friday night. Sorry to hear it got worse. Atleast you won't need the buggy for a few months since it is a little cold outside.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857

Back to top Go down

Post by vwtattooed Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:04 am

aaaahhhh....poor Ashley. you guys don't even have a doghouse, so which bug shell did she sleep in last night? lol! tell her it'll be o.k...keys can be replaced.
vwtattooed
vwtattooed
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:57 pm

yesterday, i solved my carb icing issue. i had a small k&n filter that fit over the carb. i was gonna throw the stock filter on, to run the heat hose. but i couldn't find it. Sooo, instead i ran a fresh air hose from the carb (fit perfectly), and clamped the same airfilter on the other end, and stuck it under the motor between the ski slopes, and pushrod tubes, so it gets all the hot air from the cylinders. So think of it like a cold air intake, except its a hot air intake, hahaha. Worked perfectly. runs perfect, idles perfect, with no sputtering, or backfiring. GOTTA LOVE IT Cool
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:39 pm

Radars came in the mail today!
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:04 pm

BRM's came in the mail today!
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 59suicide Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:11 pm

I installed my old heater boxes and the crappy foil tubes on jana the 60, after I cleaned them and painted them, it blows some serious heat. smokes inside a little, it might just be the paint burning off scratch no more freezing my buns off in the morning
59suicide
59suicide
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:09 pm

Jolly Rancher style met Bumblebuggy power today. The 1776 is now in the bus thanks to Shaky.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:57 pm

Installed h-4s in Java. Still need to pull the buckets back apart and paint them and fix the adjuster mounts (the pieces of rubber hose....) but at least they are brighter

Now I need to fix the starter the solenoid started acting up again....
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:18 pm

Took two turn signals and made a good one. Now when I turn it returns correctly! Oh yeah washed O Bugga.
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:49 am

Slowly working on a couple of rust spots I found a month or so ago. Just an hour or so 1 a week is all I've been able to squeeze in with my son's busy schedule.

Here is where I started:
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 25 DSC03222

And here's what I had Saturday:
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 25 DSC03246

I have an old '65 shell in the back yard that is to far gone to save so I'm cutting large chunks of metal out of it and then hand forming my patch pieces. Don't think it looks too bad for my first time doing this kind of repair.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 455

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:13 am

Looks good Eric for a first timer. I can't say someone with experience could do any better.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:51 am

Since it looks like Winter is here.

I built a heater box out of MDF that houses a 1994 Caprice heater core for the waterbug. Also mounted on the box is a 250 cc Kawasaki Ninja radiator fan. I used Ridgid vacuum hose and fittings for ducting the heat into the cabin. The box is mounted under the trunk lid between the gas tank and dash. One hose feeds the foot-well of the passenger side the other the drivers side. The middle (third hose) will feed the windshield defroster using a Ridgid vacuum gate valve to turn the defrost on and off.

I still have to install a mechanical heater valve with a cable to shunt or flow water through the heater core and a fan switch. I also have to plumb some 3/4" and 5/8" heater hose from the motor to the heater box.

I was going to buy a 1930 through the early 1950's hang down old school heater assembly but they were nowhere to be found except on ebay and they come with no guarantee and they are pricey. I thought about a new hot rod heater assembly but when I checked the price I decided to build it myself.

I scouted around my shop junk and found I had the fan and heater core from other projects. The MDF came from an old waterbed frame rails. Since I up-graded to a better vacuum dust control system I had the old Ridgid hoses and fittings on the shelf. All I have to buy is the heater valve, hoses and I think I have a switch for the fan somewhere in my junk pile.

I intend to run the hoses through the trick 2" by 3" frame/heater channels on the driver's side that Billie and I designed to replace the rotted heater channels on the water bug. The A/C hoses run through the passenger side channels allready.

I have less than two hours in this so far. I'm having a good time dreaming up, designing and building this project.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:42 am

Yesterday i started (or should i say restarted), painting the super. a while back it was yellow and stripped off all the paint, then it was in black primer for the longest. i started with the roof. i scuffed it up, and sprayed a coat of grey primer, just so the black wouldn't show thru the top coat. then i sprayed the yellow. came out really nice. still need another coat, and then clear coat. might do a little more today if it warms up any.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:57 am

Drove it to TN to deliver an engine. Blew out half of the rusty canadian exhaust on the trip so now my neighbors know when I come home! If it will warm up a bit and dry out will replace the headers and re-seal the heads, until then just listen and you will hear me comming! One of these days will get a garage I can get a bus into, have 4 here now and all are to tall to get into the heat...... Hmmm lottery tonight, maybe I can get a real garage!
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:31 pm

Got my set of tires in today for the radars!
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by 59suicide Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:53 am

Attorney Isaiah Loophole wrote:Got my set of tires in today for the radars!

RADARS! Im jealous, what are they going on? when are the pics coming? Smile
59suicide
59suicide
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next