Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+55
scott
peregrine67
vwgirl
drewBAKER
56rag
shaky
fried_chicken
DOODLE BUGG
vwtattooed
71Ghia
tarvw
buggin70
Stockornaut Restorations
Buss66
stasher1
goatfarmer67
buggin58
56HAVOC
skunk
Joe
panic_fan
Damn-it Don
mroberts
laith
Cambur
Johnny
Yaeger
BKiller
ASBug
daltondragger73
Grifspop
57RTOval
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
jshmnghm
fluxcap
59suicide
fearthefat138
vwovalchild
tito
VW12step
adams77
rpm750
65type2dailydriver
tronview
zabo
meinvw
bakertim2
39coupe
bumblebuggy
69panel
aircooledaddicts
71_georgia_beetle
Bugman114
Goped406
DiggerD
59 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by DiggerD Wed May 27, 2009 9:30 pm

Changed the oil.......... Rolling Eyes yeah, I know. Real exciting.............. Suspect
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by Goped406 Wed May 27, 2009 10:43 pm

painted the intake manifolds, some of the tin. painted the dog house. started on the firewall. have the back part of the wall done, just have to fasten it down. plan to do the sides soon
What did you do to your volkswagen today? 00410
What did you do to your volkswagen today? 00110
What did you do to your volkswagen today? 00210
Goped406
Goped406
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Wed May 27, 2009 10:56 pm

OK, i gotta know, where the hell does everyone keep getting these street signs from??? can you order them online or something, or is everyone just hacking off ones off the street Laughing ?
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Goped406 Wed May 27, 2009 11:05 pm

Bugman114 wrote:OK, i gotta know, where the hell does everyone keep getting these street signs from??? can you order them online or something, or is everyone just hacking off ones off the street Laughing ?
haha, na i didnt take em. who ever lived in the house before me did, i found them in the basement
Goped406
Goped406
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Wed May 27, 2009 11:37 pm

Bugman114 wrote:OK, i gotta know, where the hell does everyone keep getting these street signs from??? can you order them online or something, or is everyone just hacking off ones off the street Laughing ?
1/2" wrench and you have more than you need.
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Thu May 28, 2009 12:43 am

Well John, just think if you run with your deck lid off theres no way in hell you gonna get rear-ended. I think it is looking good. Its inspiration for me to start accumilating the raw materials I need for my plans for the 71. Wink

That is if I ever finish the front end rebuild...... Rolling Eyes
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Goped406 Thu May 28, 2009 7:18 am

What did you do to your volkswagen today? 00411
my shroud after i painted and took the tape off
Goped406
Goped406
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by aircooledaddicts Thu May 28, 2009 8:54 am

Looks good John Very Happy Are you going to leave it flat or put a gloss over it?
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Thu May 28, 2009 11:59 am

I spoke with Billie at Stockornaut last night and he agreed to order and install my headliner. Billie also took my order for some much needed odd and end parts for the '68 as well the waterbug. Billie has been a tremendous help to me with his vast experience based VW knowledge to draw on. Alex also knows his type one and two details of the year model changes.

Stockornaut in my opinion is far and away the best VW shop there is. They love working on VW's and it shows. I feel fortunate that their shop is only about 10 miles or less from my house. They opened up not very long after I got back into VW's. Their parts prices are very reasonable and labor rates are more than fair.

I am not in any way affiliated with Stockornaut I just think they need to be recognized for the good people they are. Cool
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Thu May 28, 2009 12:34 pm

Stockornaut has the makings to be the best VW shop in the Atlanta area IMO. I pimp them whenever I can and I've never even seen thier shop. I just know Alex, Audrea, and Billie are good people and truly have love for the cars along with the skills to match. My buggy will be headed up there for paint work in the next few weeks.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Thu May 28, 2009 5:55 pm

My buddy George and I went to this guys shop in Cumming, GA. It is the Fuel Injection Connection

http://www.fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewDoc&docId=1

I had him rebuild and clean my injectors. He and his son run the place and they kindly offered to do the job while we waited. Also we got to watch all the steps they go through and all of the specialized cleaning equipment they use. Many special tools were developed by them.

During flow testing the final stage we ran into a snag. One injector was not putting out enough fuel.
He did not have any injectors that were exact replacements for mine after he determined that one injector had an intermittent coil short. What did the do? He upgraded me to four better injectors that flowed a little more juice and a had a matched flow rate...at no extra charge.

So any of you Fuel Injected folks out there ever need your injectors cleaned, matched flowed or boosted flow. Lucky for us the Man is in our town. These are very professional nice people.

Call Jon Junior, or Jon Senior @ 770-888-1662

Last edited by 69panel on Thu May 28, 2009 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Thu May 28, 2009 6:47 pm

lol, i just got their name: Stock or naut (not), hahaha Laughing
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe Fri May 29, 2009 8:54 pm

Adjusted valves, washed and cleaned it up - all ready for YU tomorrow.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 455
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Fri May 29, 2009 9:14 pm

today i finished painting the car, put on an oil sump, took it for a ride, and the oil pump blew up on me, and destroyed the motor.

Anyone got a spare motor they would sell me cheap? Turns out the supposed back up motor i have, is no good. Sad
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Sun May 31, 2009 11:54 am

Well the '74 waterbug is running great after having the injectors cleaned and adding a fuel filter. For grins me and George checked fuel pressure at the fuel rail...100 PSI. Also new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Ran a compression test and the average is 175 PSI per cylinder...that was great news

I welded up some patches on both "C" pillars where I cut rust out. I ground the welds and wiped filler. Blocked the filler and primed.

I installed the new door rubber I picked up from Ralph.

Been working on the bucket seats I picked up at the junk yard and I've got the rails at the same height which is half the battle. They came out of a Honda Passport small SUV.

Just been piddling with the '68 waiting mostly on the headliner so I can install glass and interior. I need pull it out side and give it a good bath. Since I compounded the paint I still have compound in the nooks and crannies.

Also the paint has dried more and some places I thought were level are no longer level. I feel sure that next time I'll wait longer to color-sand and buff. I guess there were some uncured places that are dry now showing some slight orange peel and some runs that were gone before. I just don't want to make a career of chasing every little thing wrong with the paint job but I'll fix some of them and pray I don't make some of them worse. Cool

Last edited by 69panel on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Sun May 31, 2009 5:26 pm

I finally talked Drew into giving the '62 back to me. So I started trying to fix it from the wreck. I was able to pull it with the winch on the trailer enough to get the bad buckles at the bottom of the rain gutter staight. But, now I need to find a rear clip to fix the rest of the damage. I'm just glad I was able to fix what I did. Also glad to be able to start working on the car again.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun May 31, 2009 9:49 pm

Yesterday:

Spent most of the day tearing apart my old motor. where i discovered that the main bearing was grinded down, and metal shavings were everywhere. I just happened to have a AH block lying around from my 29' benz kit car. I had gotten that engine running about 2 years ago, and had dissasembled it with the intent to rebuild. Anyway, that morning i switched over the cylinders/ pistons, heads, valve train stuff, pulley, alt, shroud, dizzy, and header.

Today:

I had to work early so i didn't get a whole lot done. I installed some aftermarket cylinder tin i had. And to anyone reading this, what everyone says is true. THAT STUFF IS SHIT. It didn't fit any aspect of the motor. Nothing lined up. The holes for the mounting weren't even close, the spark plug holes didn't line up, so i had to pound them out. It didn't sit cleanly on the top, and i had to beat the hell out of them and force them down. Also i installed the plugs, wires, adjusted the valves, and did some flushing out with oil, to try and get all the crap out of the new case (dust and other sludge).

I still have to install the drain plate, the turbo, and the carb/intake. I plan to filll it up with oil, start it (assuming it does start, hahaha), let it run for about 20-30 seconds, change the oil, let it run again for
about 10 mins, change the oil again, drive it around for a few hours, change it again, then drive it for about another week, and change it again. Then i should be good from there.

THE TURBO BUG WILL LIVE AGAIN TO TERRORIZE ALL WHO CROSS ITS PATH......... unless the motor blows up again, in that case, nevermind lol!

Last edited by Bugman114 on Sun May 31, 2009 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Sun May 31, 2009 11:30 pm

2 days worth! Well pulld the 73's engine, found damaged carbs, bad vaccums from carb to car, clutch was nothing but rivets on one side, so.......drove to sc today, bought a rebuilt 1.7, got a set of 34 dells, pulled a gon engine to fix the panel. Now get to unload tommorow, hopefully the westy will be a driver soon!
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:38 pm

today i finished up the motor for the turbo super. I got the turbo bolted on, the intake and carb, all the little odds and ends. then i spent most of the day cleaning and degreasing the engine. the thought was, It may not run good, but damnit ITS GONNA LOOK GOOD DOING IT!!! Laughing . Got the motor bolted in, started it up and made this EXTREMELY loud Whining. It was the fan rubbing against the shroud, so using the palm of my hand, i beat the hell out of the shroud, till it bent it enough to stop sqealing. And the whoole reason for that was that damn cylinder tin throwing the shroud out of alignment. Anyway, it ran perfect. In fact it ran Much better. It was much quieter, and had tons more power then before, due to the intake leak, and there is hardly any turbo lag, due to the exhaust leak being fixed. Way more power Twisted Evil . Much ass hauling will occur tommorow :Rockit: :Rockit: :Rockit:
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:31 am

I air hammer-chiseled the stock seat rails out of the waterbug. That left a few small holes in the pan from the stubborn spot welds. I bolted my custom seat brackets to the bucket seat rail. Then I positioned the seat where I wanted it. I marked where I would be welding and pulled the seat back out and ground the paint off the pan in those places. I put the seat back in and spot welded the brackets. I then pulled the bolts out and removed the seat again and welded the brackets securely to the floor pan. I welded the holes that were left from air hammering the stock seat rails off and re-shot primer sealer on all of the welds including those underneath the pan.

I also hinged my "wing-engine-thing-cover" at the top so I can get to the engine without removing the entire assembly which is somewhat difficult by yourself. Now it's pop two dzus fasteners and lift the lid. I'm working on a hood prop so I wont have to carry a broom handle with me. To use hydraulic lifts I would have to really stiffen up the cover with bracing on the inside. (More weight?) I don't know that it even matters as I wont be racing this car unless it is really quick. In fact I don't know what I'll use this car for. Maybe just cruising around and picking on unsuspecting Jap wanna-be-racers. Either scenario will depend on how fast this bug is.

I need to work on the throttle cable as I'm only getting 2/3rds throttle as it sits now. I need seat belts too. I need to mount the Jetta brain and electrical center (Fuse and relays) permanently and make a cover where the back seat used to be.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:46 pm

hated on vendors tht dont tell you when stuffs backordered
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:48 pm

today while driving i started to slowly loose power. And when i floored it, it would slowly spool up, but not build any presure. so i think the turbo must have messed up the bearing when i went without oil. Or maybe when the main bearing bearing shredded up, particals made its way to the turbo. either way, it looks like i might need another turbo. I just happen to have a spare, i pulled off a saab 9000, and it looks identical, except for the water cooled side. so i'm hoping i can simply switch over the bearings, and possibly the main shaft, over to the current housing. and maybe the intake side compressor if it happens to be bigger than the current one Twisted Evil .
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:35 pm

Hauled the buggy body to Stockornaut ( www.stockornaut.com ) for the paint work. I can see the light at the end of the four year long tunnel and it is good. cheers
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by tronview Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:55 pm

Bought a 1970 Standard Beetle
tronview
tronview
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 465

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:12 pm

Well I installed the seat-belts on the waterbug that came with the used bucket seats. Wonder of wonders the retaining bolts were the same size and thread pattern.

I only had to weld two nuts to flat washers. Then used a hole saw to drill two hole slightly smaller than the flat washers on top of the tunnel just ahead of the back seat rail. Then I put the washer with the nut facing down and welded the perimeter of the washers thereby making a receiver nut for the buckle part. I could have used the existing receiver nuts on the tunnel were it not for my seats are just a tad too wide.

I had to drill and tap two more holes on top of the monster 2" x 4x 1/8" heater channels for the lap belt part. I now have three point seat-belts. Cool

Last edited by 69panel on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next