Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+57
Stockornaut Restorations
BUBBABEAR
tronview
bakertim2
DiggerD
laith
fried_chicken
AirKewled
fearthefat138
skunk
57RTOval
jshmnghm
Goped406
vwkultur
meinvw
Barb E. Dahl
Bugman114
wheel_sun
rpm750
petervalle
Cambur
racecar67
LungTube
56HAVOC
vwfanatic67
greg5003
sploval53
69panel
DiscoSquirrel
zabo
65type2dailydriver
jim conner
dbcox
svkustoms
Johnny
Damn-it Don
59suicide
EngineerTEN
vwovalchild
panic_fan
65veedub
39coupe
jimbear
billieco
aircooledaddicts
Joe
bumblebuggy
kabriolett
ksc78vw
VW12step
Hobug
Treehive
tito
daltondragger73
fluxcap
71_georgia_beetle
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
61 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by 69panel Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am

Well my new header arrived for my water cooled Bug and Billieco came by my house (For something other than vw business) and took the header to his shop to check the fit. I hoped there would not be a problem but he called and said we are going to redo the collector. This wouldn't be a problem had the header been like the picture on the web site where I purchased it. I'm sure it was an optical illusion so I can't complain to the vendor since it's not going on a standard application. It probably fits a 1995 Jetta perfectly. We'll just have to dissect and re-weld it to conform to what it demands to fit like I want it. Just extra time, extra work. Neutral
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by 39coupe Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:06 am

Just picked up my 1300dp heads from the machine shop - not bad - the guy I bought them from had already put in new valves and ground the seats, etc.. but my machine shop guy found after cleaning everything and pressure testing that there were 4 seats that needed to be re-ground. So total bill from the machine shop on the heads --- $30.

So I've now got $310 in these heads not bad - cost me $160 from the machine shop to get the 1200 heads done last year so I figure it only cost me a difference of $150 to go to the dual port heads.

Picked up the 34ICT dual carb setup from Jason last night.

Case to the shop next week and then wait for my new cam and bearings to come in so I can start assembly.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 455
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:20 pm

39coupe wrote:Just picked up my 1300dp heads from the machine shop - not bad - the guy I bought them from had already put in new valves and ground the seats, etc.. but my machine shop guy found after cleaning everything and pressure testing that there were 4 seats that needed to be re-ground. So total bill from the machine shop on the heads --- $30.

What's the name, number and location of the machine shop?
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:10 pm

69panel wrote:
39coupe wrote:Just picked up my 1300dp heads from the machine shop - not bad - the guy I bought them from had already put in new valves and ground the seats, etc.. but my machine shop guy found after cleaning everything and pressure testing that there were 4 seats that needed to be re-ground. So total bill from the machine shop on the heads --- $30.

Not sure his prices to others. I work for NAPA and the guy runs the machine shop attached to our main store in Norcross so I get a discounted price.

Jeff is the guys name - the phone number for the main store is (770) 441-3635.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:41 pm

so if i hand my parts to you, and tell him its yours I can get the dicounted price then? lol, can't blame me for tryin, lol lol!
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by LungTube Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:17 pm

39coupe wrote:
69panel wrote:

Not sure his prices to others. I work for NAPA and the guy runs the machine shop attached to our main store in Norcross so I get a discounted price.

good to know he can do aircooled stuff. what else can he do aircooled wise? napa warehouse is aboot 10 mins form me.
LungTube
LungTube
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by fearthefat138 Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:28 pm

i bought a gti grill and some snowflake gti wheels for the caddy, and sent a money order for my drop plates.
fearthefat138
fearthefat138
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:51 pm

vinayak wrote:
39coupe wrote:
69panel wrote:

good to know he can do aircooled stuff. what else can he do aircooled wise? napa warehouse is aboot 10 mins form me.

I know he is good with Heads. He has done 2 sets of heads and turned a couple of flywheels for me. Haven't had anything else done but he says he can do it all. I'm going to bring my case in next week and we will see what he can do with it.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by laith Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:03 pm

fearthefat138 wrote:i bought a gti grill and some snowflake gti wheels for the caddy, and sent a money order for my drop plates.

Drop plates for the rear?
laith
laith
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by fearthefat138 Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:50 pm

laith wrote:
fearthefat138 wrote:i bought a gti grill and some snowflake gti wheels for the caddy, and sent a money order for my drop plates.

Drop plates for the rear?
yes 3 inch drop
fearthefat138
fearthefat138
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by laith Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:43 pm

Yeah..that is about the cheapest and easiest way to do it. How thick are they?
laith
laith
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by panic_fan Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:58 pm

Got some new tires for the bus. Everything went good at the tire shop. And they ride great. I can tell a huge difference from the passenger tires.
panic_fan
panic_fan
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:18 pm

Billie cut my headers and rewelded them and they fit fine now. I'll be ready to take it on a shake-down ride soon. Cool
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 Empty Big Thanks to Brad Brown

Post by rpm750 Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:15 pm

I have to thank Brad Brown for donating this SWEET 1300 logo to my cause. He let me remove it from the deck lid and as I did I couldn't help but think of the German worker that installed it 42 years ago. Thanks Brad, many thanks
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 1300Logo
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:41 am

I brought my headers home and ported the flange to match the exhaust ports on the cylinder head. I also checked the header flange on my belt sander for flatness. I'm glad I did because it wasn't even close to being flat. I sanded it until it was flat. The provided gasket with the kit had tiny openings. I ground those to fit as well.

I put my newly re-cut, trued and welded headers on my H2O bug last night at Billie's shop, Stockornaut and fired it up. Loud very loud. I still have to put the collector extension on because that's where the O2 sensor lives and without the sensor in the loop it only runs in "Limp home mode" (Very Rich) also a muffler for back pressure to let the sensor work properly and peace and quiet.

Sitting there idling or revving the motor, both Billie and I were surprised at how much it sounds like a Air Cooled VW engine. Sounds just like a regular VW.I thought that was weird. I expected a different
sound more like a ricer.

Still chasing emission parts and hoses to remove. The engine has a power steering pump I'd like to remove but at the moment it functions as an idler pulley for belt adjustment for the water pump. I'll research it and pick one up if it exists. Also the re-routing of the intake tube to get some more deck lid clearance. I guess next is a trip either to the muffler shop or a junk yard search for a muffler. Cool

Having great fun on this project. cheers
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:38 pm

Ordered a new Scat 1776 from Summit Racing for the buggy.

Good bye tax return. 👋
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Cambur Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:33 pm

I change the oil in the 74 and the jetta, went to gosset vw to get a new oil dipstick funnel, adjusted the points on the 74 and cleaned up the interior for the cruise i cant wait!
Cambur
Cambur
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:15 pm

I've been having some issues with my tranny, and thought the gland nut (why do they call it a nut, its a large bolt, wtf?) because i have a theory that the bearing is shot and causing the shaft to "catch", maiking it seem like the clutch was sticking.

Well......i took the motor out and noticed the T/O bearing was shot. so i procede to take the presure plate off, and when i get the last bolt off, and remove the presure plate, the clutch fell to pieces (shattered). so i take the gland nut off, and the bearing inside is torn up. and the eng of te tranny shaft has metal shavings on it from the gpilot bearing. ATLEAST I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THE F@#KING NUT Laughing Laughing Laughing lol.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Pulled the trans and axles on the Dc. got 3 wheels done brake wise, found that one hoses was wrong so ordered that today along with parts to build the axles, and seal the trans. Hopefully tommorow will have all new brakes in minus the one hose, and get the trans and axles stripped and cleanned. Hopefully the parts will make it quick, but do not see getting it together for the weekend. Oh well, if not quite a few things set off the OCD under there so might take care of those!!
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:05 pm

Cleaned, prepped and painted the front spindles today:
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 Spindles1bf3
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 Spindles2mu9

Drilled em to 5/8 so I can correct the bump steer without notching the body when its lower:
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 Spindles3wl8
pressed out the old bushings in the control arms and will clean and paint them tomorrow.
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:48 pm

I pulled my new headers and painted them with high temp black and re-installed them. They look much better now.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:50 pm

Worked on my fender a little more today. It's about as finished as I'm gonna get it. Hoping to get it primed and maybe painted Friday. Also took the rubber mallet to the inside of the hood banging some of the bigger dents out. Then I attempted my first carberator re-tune. It's been running extremely rich and literally stinking up the whole garage side of the house after parking it. And just playing with numbers in my head, I think I've only been getting about 21 miles per gallon. Took it for a test drive and it seems to be driving well. Gonna let it sit for a while and see how it smells on that side of the house later.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 Empty Down For Service

Post by rpm750 Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:59 pm

I've needed to do several things to "Oh Bugga".
One is to "Flip" the passenger tie rod. Look how its been rubbing the body, it also rubbed the bottom of the tank. Shocked
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 DownforService001
Had to drill out the taper and install a bushing.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 DownforService002

I installed the tins that were missing from the back of the motor.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 DownforService003
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 DownforService007

I'll also remove the Heat Boxes and install the "Ski Slope Tins". Install a new doughnut exhaust kit to stop the leak that makes it back fire.

I had a miss in the engine and found the #1 cylinder spark plug was black, not the "browny" color like the others. I adjusted the valves on the right side of the engine again. The valve cover was leaking also, so that will be fixed as well. Oh yeah, will install new spark plugs. Bosch Supers!
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:13 pm

Got the control arms cleaned up and painted:
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 Controlarm1xd0
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 Controlarm2vt3

Disassembled the struts to get the top bearings off, will reuse them and the top spring perches in the rebuild. Once these are cleaned and repacked, it will just be waiting for the other parts to arrive. bounce
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 26 Strutbearingszx2
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:23 pm

My son was driving the '62 today and stopped at the bank. When he started to leave, the throttle cable broke. So I had to stop on the way home from Lilburn and help him fix it in the parking lot of the bank. Good times(lol)
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next