Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+57
Stockornaut Restorations
BUBBABEAR
tronview
bakertim2
DiggerD
laith
fried_chicken
AirKewled
fearthefat138
skunk
57RTOval
jshmnghm
Goped406
vwkultur
meinvw
Barb E. Dahl
Bugman114
wheel_sun
rpm750
petervalle
Cambur
racecar67
LungTube
56HAVOC
vwfanatic67
greg5003
sploval53
69panel
DiscoSquirrel
zabo
65type2dailydriver
jim conner
dbcox
svkustoms
Johnny
Damn-it Don
59suicide
EngineerTEN
vwovalchild
panic_fan
65veedub
39coupe
jimbear
billieco
aircooledaddicts
Joe
bumblebuggy
kabriolett
ksc78vw
VW12step
Hobug
Treehive
tito
daltondragger73
fluxcap
71_georgia_beetle
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
61 posters

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by rpm750 Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:25 pm

I went got Insurance and a Tag. I can go down the road legally now.

Ok I read and saw a post about some guys using old tags. How the hell did you do this? I wanted to use a tag from a car I had like 5 years ago and they told me I couldn't!! Whats up with that S#!t? Where can I get one of these old tags and what years can you use in Ga?

Oh yeah......
What did I do to my bug today?
SCRATCHED IT!
Freakin' Idiot!
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:42 pm

rpm750 wrote:I went got Insurance and a Tag. I can go down the road legally now.

Ok I read and saw a post about some guys using old tags. How the hell did you do this?
1970 and older just take your age appropriate tag to the tag office and get it registered.
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:14 pm

Yeah, since your car is a 66, you have to use a 1966 georgia tag. Lucky for you, 66 tags are red with white letters so it will match your car. I got my 62 tag on Ebay. Just got to watch for a while until you find one in good shape. This one is on ebay right now, but it has seen better days.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 B1f1_1

So the same day you got your insurance and tag, you scratched your car. I think I got you beat. Scroll back to the bottom of page 8 and top of page 9 to read what I did on the day I got my insurance and tag. You won't feel so bad about your scratch. Still sucks though Mad Just jump in the car and drive down the road at you'll feel better
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:58 am

Thanks Eric, Yeah I read about your dilemma. The beauty is we can fix stuff like that our selves. Mine is not bad but you can see it! I was parking my car, pushing it into position in the garage and scrubbed a chest of drawers that I use for storage. Freakin' Idiot!!

So the tag has to be the year of your car or could you use any year after up to 1970?You know use something like this.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 B924_2
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobug Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:04 am

The tag has to be the same year as the car. Ebay and flea markets are the best sources of old tags.
Hobug
Hobug
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1326
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.athensvwclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:35 am

Georgia does allow repainting of the tags, as long as you keep the colors OG.
Here's mine after the repaint
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 DSCN0150
Look closely- the 'modern' plate is mounted underneath!
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cambur Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:41 pm

bryce your bus looks awesome! i can't wait to get my '59 tag
Cambur
Cambur
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:24 am

Yesterday I found filler with rust under it on the right front quarter panel after I pulled the fender. The bad part is that the damage in right on the body line where the fender bolts on. I guess I'll dig it out and determine whether or not to replace the quarter panel. There is evidence that someone tried to straighten it but they didn't try hard enough. The filler is 3/8" thick in places...not good. They probably couldn't do much because the gas filler pocket was in the way of swinging a hammer to punch the metal back out. They did use a slide hammer...old school...with a hardened sheet metal screw. That left holes all around the damage inviting rust. Also a fender bolt receiver was missing. I'll weld one back in.
I may have to wait until my fenders come back from the blaster so I can put the fender on to check the fit as I repair the damage. Like a template sort of. I don't want it too thin or thick for the fender to mate snugly or evenly.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:39 am

Well My car is a Burnt Orange (2006 Audi/VW Sundown Orange) I don't think a red tag will look to smokin with it. Idea dead!

Last edited by rpm750 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:42 am

Well I had a red and black car and it had a yellow tag on. Just run some kind of frame to break it up from the car.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 361227
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by petervalle Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:56 pm

post more pictures of the Oval, I like the stance on it.
petervalle
petervalle
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:18 pm

what oval?
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:32 pm

Well since my car is legal now I went for a short Sunday drive today. About 7 miles. I would have gone farther but I didn't have my cell with me. Still not sure what this thing is going to throw me. I'm driven her to work on Wed., 26 mls one way. Should be lighter than normal traffic and no school. Wink
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by petervalle Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:34 pm

I meant the old black and red beetle. Sorry for my incorrect terminology. I don't know much about the years of beetles and I thought that all the beetles from that era were called Ovals. The only way I tell them apart is for the smaller taillights.
petervalle
petervalle
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:37 pm

petervalle wrote:I meant the old black and red beetle. Sorry for my incorrect terminology. I don't know much about the years of beetles and I thought that all the beetles from that era were called Ovals. The only way I tell them apart is for the smaller taillights.
I thought you were talking about my car but I wasnt sure.

BTW they are called ovals because of the oval back window.

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 373338
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 361226
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 342112
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 337316
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by petervalle Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:49 pm

I love that car, I am not much of Bling/Bling, I like the primer look and the fact that you have no molding, trim or handles.
Some day I'll get mine looking like that.

In the subject of the Thread.....I did take my front beam out to get it narrowed by a friend and I purchased a 1967 Georgia TAG.
I ordered new tie rods and balljoints. I'll post pictures once he is finished. He is doing it as a favor, so it might take him a week.
petervalle
petervalle
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Keep your handles and I would say keep your trim to but that is just me. Yeah post some pics when you get it, the beam that is.

Got my adapters for the bus today. Also ordered my front tires for it too.
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by EngineerTEN Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:19 pm

On Saturday... Car was starting to backfire so I knew I was due for a valve adjustment. Found the exhaust and intake valve too tight on #4. I installed swivel foot adjusting screws that I purchased a few months ago. These are supposed to keep the valve adjustments longer and reduce the wear on the valve stems - we will see. I installed a breather box to fix my oil pressure issues. I also found the transmission loose at the front mount which is why I was hearing a clunk noise when shifting into second gear. Tightened those up. Found the clamps that mate the j-tubes to the header were loose. Tightened those up. Started the car up and timed it. Purrs like a kitten. I came out to the garage on Sunday morning and found that most of the engine oil had leaked from the right head onto the floor. I must have not get the gasket lined up correctly when putting the valve cover back on. I remove the warn cork gasket and used a rubber gasket that I got from Autozone. That may be the problem. I think I'll get a new set of cork gaskets and use gasket adhesive to stick them to the cover to make sure it is in place. I'll probally get to that sometime next week.
EngineerTEN
EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Cambur Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Yeah i learned that lesson the hard way, I replaced my valve gaskets with some rubber ones from advanced, half way through our first cruise my oil light came on i pulled over immediately, only had one quart left, luckly i filled it up and permatexed the valve covers, it ran just fine...
Cambur
Cambur
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by 59suicide Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:26 pm

installed some door seals, free of charge no more cold air coming in through the doors Rolling Eyes just need to get my hands on some sound deadening material so i dont have to listen to the engine drowning everything out Neutral
59suicide
59suicide
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:32 am

I drove my "Bugga" to work today, she did fine. I need those heat exchangers though. I also will have to replace the fuel sender. It leaked really bad. I'm not sure if its the rubber apron or the gasket. Kroger gas has a strong smell to it!

It was dark when I drove in and some of the cars that passed me slowed to let me pass back by and they road just behind me in the other lane to take a look.

Yeah.... Yeah.... It's a Volkswagen! :Rockit:
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:05 pm

Greased up all the components to the brake pedal in the bus and reinstalled it with a new return spring. It was a pain as i didnt get the bus off the ground far enough to move good under it. Pedal works great now!
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:10 pm

Got my front tires (195/50/15) on the bmw wheels and on the bus. I can now turn the wheels again. Also dropping to the 195 width helped tuck the wheels better. Also got the brakes bled and adjusted. Pedal is awesome now! Also refilled the tranny, greased the starter bushing and installed the started and wire it up. Then I went on and changed the oil and found a mess guess the motor wont be staying in the bus long. Oil sludge not good. Needs to be busted down and cleaned and everything checked that may have to wait till after sonic though.

Just a little rewiring to do, fix the accelerator pedal, and re-run the gas line and it should be on the road.
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:40 pm

I've been straightening the passenger side front quarter panel. Welding up holes and grinding. I have wiped filler and worked it down. I'll have to wait until I get the front passenger fender back from the blasters to use as a fitting guide so I'll know if I need to add more filler or not where the fender lip meets the panel. I went by the blasters today to check on my hood and fenders they said the holiday put them a little behind.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

Post by aircooledaddicts Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:15 pm

I finally got Buster dressed for Christmas. The pictures aren't all that great but it is wet and foggy outside. It looks really cool at night and people are just loving it.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 Christmas2008006
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 Christmas2008003
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 Christmas2008005
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 Christmas2008004
This is the little tree I put in the back
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 Christmas2008007
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 15 Christmas2008010
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1670

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next