Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+57
Stockornaut Restorations
BUBBABEAR
tronview
bakertim2
DiggerD
laith
fried_chicken
AirKewled
fearthefat138
skunk
57RTOval
jshmnghm
Goped406
vwkultur
meinvw
Barb E. Dahl
Bugman114
wheel_sun
rpm750
petervalle
Cambur
racecar67
LungTube
56HAVOC
vwfanatic67
greg5003
sploval53
69panel
DiscoSquirrel
zabo
65type2dailydriver
jim conner
dbcox
svkustoms
Johnny
Damn-it Don
59suicide
EngineerTEN
vwovalchild
panic_fan
65veedub
39coupe
jimbear
billieco
aircooledaddicts
Joe
bumblebuggy
kabriolett
ksc78vw
VW12step
Hobug
Treehive
tito
daltondragger73
fluxcap
71_georgia_beetle
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
61 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 8 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by 39coupe Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:12 pm

I like the width of the 205 better.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 455
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 8 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by aircooledaddicts Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:14 pm

71_georgia_beetle wrote:You do brakes?

Yep! Bring it on by.
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1670

Back to top Go down

Post by aircooledaddicts Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:15 pm

panic_fan wrote:
Congrats on the new job. I will keep you in mind, I assume they work on busses as well?

Sure do
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by aircooledaddicts Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:16 pm

DiscoSquirrel wrote:
Do they still have that crazy bay that thinks it's a Ferrari outside?? Who thought that was a good idea? Wink
You must be talking about the red shorty bay. It's still there. I don't know what motor is in it but it sounds SICK!
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:47 pm

I like the 205 as well. What size are you running back there now? I currently have two 205/60/15s on the front of my bus. I'm going to swap them for 195/50s. They're still great tires. Let me know it you're interested in a swap or helping me offset the cost of some new rubber.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoSquirrel Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:31 am

Sweet, looks like it'll be the 205 then, thanks for the comments!

Bryce - let me get a picture and stick it in member's rides in just a minute.
Glenn - currently just running the standard 165 so that is not a lot of use to you but if there is plenty left on your 205s I'll take em, thanks. Let me know what kind of spanking-good deal you can do ;-)
Gary - this is the one I was thinking of:

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 8 P1030665
DiscoSquirrel
DiscoSquirrel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:54 am

I've been rolling on them for a year and one half now. The look perfect. Never hit any curbs or anything like that. Just took some pics and found out they're actually 205/65R15s. Still, you're welcome to them for $40 each. If not, I'll just save them for the rear/spare.

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 8 Tires+058

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 8 Tires+059

Larger images @ www.busbuild.blogspot.com
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoSquirrel Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:06 pm

Ok, I'll pass as I want to keep the profile down. Thanks anyway.
DiscoSquirrel
DiscoSquirrel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by EngineerTEN Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:11 pm

[quote="DiscoSquirrel"]Well actually it was last night but it was dark so I took pictures this morning. I got hold of a 205/60 tire so I slapped it on a wheel to see if it would fit on the car and see how it would look. Although it is tricky to tell, the car sits a little lower on the 205, which was part of the intention. Here I have compared with the 165 still on the other side. What do y'all think? (just to clarify, the 205 is on the unpainted wheel)

Is it a Yokohama YK520? That is what I have on the rear of mine. The ride is really nice on these tires.
EngineerTEN
EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:00 pm

DiscoSquirrel wrote:

Whoa, that's got 1987 written all over it! At first I thought it had a spoiler on top, but I guess it's just the rear hatch open. Very Happy
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:11 pm

I've been wanting to install a third brake light since the snowflakes are kinda small. I was going to mount it in the rear window, but then realized it was thin enough to fit through the vents in the engine compartment. Still don't know how I'll finally mount it. If I mount it in the rear window, I'll have a few ugly wires showing. If I mount it in the rear vents, I'll have to rack my brain and figure out how to mount it. Right now it's just held in place with a twist tie.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 8 CIMG3574-1
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 8 CIMG3575-1
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:43 pm

NP Ben, Like I said, they'll make good spares. Plus I'm going one click in the rear and it's gonna camber out some and It'll wear the tires faster anyway.

Flux, I think that'll be killer if you can pull it off. Will still look stock to anyone whe isn't paying attention. Perfect for your car IMO. cheers
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:54 pm

fluxcap wrote:
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 8 CIMG3574-1
Looks good. Got a question though is your tag crooked? It may just be the camera angle I cant tell.
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:12 pm

Attorney Isaiah Loophole wrote:Got a question though is your tag crooked? It may just be the camera angle I cant tell.

The inmates in 1962 weren't too good!!! Laughing If you follow the red line at the bottom, you can see the holes are way off. I'm going to open up the top right hole in the plate and mounting bracket a little and get it to sit level. Just been to lazy.

bumblebuggy wrote:Flux, I think that'll be killer if you can pull it off. Will still look stock to anyone whe isn't paying attention. Perfect for your car IMO.

Thanks, I definitely think I'll go this route. I don't want to drill any holes if possible, so I'll just have to think on it for a while, but I'm sure I can get it work somehow.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:17 pm

Where did you get the third brake light at?
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoSquirrel Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:28 pm

EngineerTEN wrote:Is it a Yokohama YK520? That is what I have on the rear of mine. The ride is really nice on these tires.

No it isn't, but thanks for the tip!

fluxcap wrote:Whoa, that's got 1987 written all over it! At first I thought it had a spoiler on top, but I guess it's just the rear hatch open. Very Happy

I'm sorry to say that it is indeed a spoiler Rolling Eyes
DiscoSquirrel
DiscoSquirrel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:32 pm

DiscoSquirrel wrote:

I'm sorry to say that it is indeed a spoiler Rolling Eyes

Oh man, that's just horrible. No
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:38 pm

let me know if you figure out a mount for that fluxcap- thts a nice unobtrusive mod
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoSquirrel Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:41 pm

what they said - a good way of doing it.
DiscoSquirrel
DiscoSquirrel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:51 pm

I'll keep everyone posted!
I got the light at autozone for $30. The package actually included two lights, Each one has 10 leds. If I went the rear window route, I was thinking of stacking them, but that would probably be overkill.
If anyone wants one, here is what to look for, but read the package carefully, because they come in red, white, or blue. It's made with a box that lets it either blink in a random pattern or stay on steady. I cut the box off since I just want it to stay on and will wire it directly to the switch on my master cylinder. Once you cut the wires, twist all the grey wires together, these are you're grounds. The one black wire is the positive.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 8 CIMG3578What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 8 CIMG3579
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by aircooledaddicts Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:44 pm

DiscoSquirrel wrote:
Gary - this is the one I was thinking of:
No What the heck?!
That is gone thankfully
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:16 pm

I found some AEW Centerline copies with new tires for my '68 project on craigslist.

When I went to the guys house to pick them up he showed me a near perfect Ghia convertable and a vw kit pick up with a 2270 cc motor. He is a very nice guy and has been into air cooled bugs for years.

He also has a Fiberfab Avenger GT kit car based on the Ford GT race car that won LeMans. It had original Shelby Ford GT wheels. I couldn't believe it had A/C and power windows. I don't usually like kit cars but I wouldn't mind having this one.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:35 pm

I painted the beam, sway bar, steering damper, a couple other knick knacks, reamed installed and lubed the center pin for the Jolly Rancher. Should be back on the road Thursday sporting a new lower stance (provided FedEx shows up with my spindles tomorrow).
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:37 am

I pulled the seats and carpet on my '68. I found a very poor fiberglass floor-pan repair job. Rolling Eyes The PO didn't address the rust he just poured the glass mat and resin to it, Bummer! At least it popped out in one big slab. Now I know why he glued the new carpet in before addressing the paint and body work. Carpet will hide a a lot of sins. I already knew there was a new battery pan patch in my future from looking underneath. I didn't know it had spread almost to the seat rails.

I pulled the shifter to check the rod bushing. It was easy to check as it was on the floor of the tunnel in pieces. I inspected the bushing hole and it was nice and round thank goodness. I pulled the necessary covers and yanked the shift rod out and thought, Very Happy 'this is a piece of cake'. I was delighted to find there was very little rust on the rod. I looked inside the tunnel and it was immaculate shiny black. I cleaned up the shift rod and straightened it. (Just a slight bow) I pushed the bushing into it's holder and greased it up with white lithium grease. I greased up the now cleaned rod. Going back in with the shift rod wasn't much fun it took me several tries and a lot of swearing. Mad I have the bruises and cuts to prove it. Sad

While I was at it I installed a urethane, shift rod to trans, coupling. The beautiful new red and silver Taiwanese coupling didn't want to fit over the end of the shift rod. I did a little grinding and cussing the Orient before it relented and went on. Then it didn't want to slide on the the trans rod but with a large screw-driver and a hammer and a lot of rapid, small taps it finally went on far enough to line up the grub screw indentation. I hope I didn't mess up something inside the trans with all the tapping. I tightened the grub screw and put the safety wire on. cheers

I intend to install the new "in the box" shifter that came with the car today. I hope it isn't a pain to get adjusted. I did scribe where the old shifter was but it may not make a difference as to where the new shifter sits. Trial and error I suppose. Cool
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:14 pm

Drove my motor that I just built and it ran good. Also put the deck lid and spring back on.

Hope to pull the motor in the blue car today and get it ready for the trade....
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next