Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+57
Stockornaut Restorations
BUBBABEAR
tronview
bakertim2
DiggerD
laith
fried_chicken
AirKewled
fearthefat138
skunk
57RTOval
jshmnghm
Goped406
vwkultur
meinvw
Barb E. Dahl
Bugman114
wheel_sun
rpm750
petervalle
Cambur
racecar67
LungTube
56HAVOC
vwfanatic67
greg5003
sploval53
69panel
DiscoSquirrel
zabo
65type2dailydriver
jim conner
dbcox
svkustoms
Johnny
Damn-it Don
59suicide
EngineerTEN
vwovalchild
panic_fan
65veedub
39coupe
jimbear
billieco
aircooledaddicts
Joe
bumblebuggy
kabriolett
ksc78vw
VW12step
Hobug
Treehive
tito
daltondragger73
fluxcap
71_georgia_beetle
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
61 posters

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by tito Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:27 am

rebuilt the carb. adjusted the cam. made plans to lower it and began searching for engine mods!!!
tito
tito
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:12 pm

Sat in front of it wondering how I could get full insurance value and get away with it. Stolen? Fire? Twisted Evil
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 Empty Working on the Super Beetle

Post by jim conner Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:10 pm

I kept my eye on this 72 SB. It was in Sheltons Used Parts near Macon. She sit on a back row for about eight or nine months. I bought her in Dec. 2002, brought it home and got it running, I had several projects going at the time so I put it under the shed and more or less forget about it. I wanted another early,(pre 65) To make a lowerd car with cool wheels, etc. I saw several at the Sonic that flipped my cork, then I thought ,why not the old super? Its got a good,stright body and I just finished a complete brake redo. I put a set of aluminum running bords that I took off another beetle, I have a nice set of Ansen five slot wheels. Also it could use a set of struts and I bought struts,springs and cartarges(Latest Rage) from one of my buds, I hope to put them on next week. Also I have a set of bumper adapters to install early blade bumpers,front and rear. I went to home depot this afternoon and found stainless steel carrage bolts to mount them.I think the old girl is going to come arround. Regards, Jim
jim conner
jim conner
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:32 pm

Went and got the last pieces of tin so I could finish Arts motor. I cleaned them and painted them also.

Also finally built my bus shifter for my bug. After seeing Gary's I finally got motivated finish mine.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 473810
Then I felt like going fishing.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 August292008
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988
Registration date : 2008-07-20

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by 59suicide Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:11 pm

Took the family for a ride around the block tonight, nice night out. Scored a seatbelt the other day gonna install it tomorrow so my little one can go on cruises cheers
59suicide
59suicide
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:54 pm

scratch Lets see--last week-end I cleaned up a swing axle torsion and today Joe got started on converting it over to an IRS torsion...
Johnny
Johnny
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 310

http://www.atvw.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Finally got to work on my brakes yesterday. Pulled the drums and yanked the beaings before I remembered that I didn't buy new seals. Called around looking for the new seals and Herrell was the only one that had em. Four hour round trip to go get em. Sad Decided to just wait and have them shipped. After placing my order, I decided that it's time to go ahead and rebuild the front beam and go a little lower. Dad has been kind enough to lend me his Super while I spend the next week or so on the rebuild. Today I diconnected all the cables and shift linkage to pull the beam and had the drums turned. Eight bolts and the beam will be out and ready for breakdown.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by 59suicide Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:12 pm

Cooked a rack of ribs while the vdubs watched, had to reload the grill with charcoal twice cooking these
puppys Twisted Evil

[img]What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 Good_o10[/img]

Crusin

[img]What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 Good_o11[/img]

Hole patched on Header

[img]What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 Good_o12[/img]

Posing with the bug

[img]What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 Good_o13[/img]

Last edited by 59suicide on Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
59suicide
59suicide
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by EngineerTEN Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:13 pm

Drove the car over to Discount Tire in Douglasville and found that the tires I ordered have not arrived.

Repaired two major oil leaks in the engine today. Tore everything down. The 6mm stud that the oil cooler mounts was pulled loose which was the major caus eof my oil leak. Taped an installed a new 8mm 1.25 thread stud. Holds the oil cooler on tight now. Had a torn valve cover gasket that was leaking. Replaced that. Put the engine back together and timed it. It's ready to go again.
EngineerTEN
EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by tito Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:08 pm

saved it from a fiery death. leaving work and spotted a chick i hadnt seen in a few months so i cruised over to holla. while parked i smelled gas (the engine was still running) so i hopped out, checked things out and saw that my fuel hose connecting my carb to my filter had come loose at the carb. it was spraying fuel on the dizzy. so i turned the car off, tightened the hose up, looked manly in front of a cute girl, smelled of gasoline and went on my way.
tito
tito
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 205

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:10 pm

Finally found some 1300 Dual Port heads for my 1200 build up.
So far I've got:
1200 40HP block
83MM Big bore pistons and cylinders
1300 Dual Port heads

Saving for 1.25:1 rockers and Dual 34IDF webers then I will be ready to put it together.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 455

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by dbcox Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:26 pm

Nothin im at the beach What a Face
dbcox
dbcox
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-08-09

http://www.lubedealer.com/dbcox

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:02 pm

Finally decided to take the easy route and threw some plexiglass in the front. This will atleast get me on the road for a few months till I can try again with real glass. I cut the plexi a little too small and the rubber on the passenger side bottom corner curls inwards, but at this point I really don't care. Atleast when I try again, I will have a template of what is too large, and a template of what is too small, so I can shoot for something in the middle. Also finished up the interior and installed my steering wheel/horn ring and rearview mirror and visors.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 100_0710
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 100_0713
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:12 pm

Looking good Eric! So when is it going to be on the road?
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:12 pm

I'm going to try and get it tagged and insured this week. That will give me a few days to get it on the road and make any needed adjustments and hopefully I'll bring it down to sonic next weekend.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:14 pm

Sweet. Cant wait to see it! Next get together Sept. 13.... the countdown begins!
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:14 am

Sweet! can't wait to steal..I mean see it.

Back on topic... I spent $400 bucks or so on components to rebuild my front end. Gonna run flipped spindles and down 1 click in the rear on the Jolly Rancher. It'll be a miracle if it makes it to Sonic this month.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:31 am

Just remember, it was my first project, so it ain't perfect. It does have a few flaws here and there. Back on topic, last night I emptied out the bank account and ordered some of the WW bumpers. Hopefully that was the last big expense for a while and I can start saving towards a garage. cheers Can't wait to make it to the sonic!!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:16 am

Functional and road worthy are much more important than perfect. Perfect cars usually go places on trailers and trailers are for boats (gonna have to find me aone of those stickers). Make sure you get some miles on it before you cruise out from Newnan. The Addicts are heading south this month so it should be a pretty big gathering.

Note to self: Bring dusty picture taking thingy.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:30 pm

Note: this is kinda long

Man oh man, where to begin. I'll start with the good stuff (that's right, there will be bad stuff too). I had jury duty this morning, didn't get picked and was out of there around 11:15. Went to the tag office, got the vin verification form, and headed to my parents house (that's where the bug workshop is). Called the sheriffs office to get someone out to check the vin. The guy was there in five minutes, he got one foot out of the car, and saw the papers I had. He sat back in his car and said "let me see what you got". I gave him the vin verification form and he said "what is the vin?". I told him, he wrote it down, signed the paper and was gone. Didn't even get all the way out his car.

I then called the insurance company, got insurance, and had proof faxed to me. Went back to the tag office, waited in a very long line, and left a happy customer with my registered 62 plate.

Went back to my parents house, put on the new tag, did a few quick checks here and there, cranked it up, and headed for the 4 mile trip to the cars new home, my garage. This is where the story takes a drastic turn. Those with weak stomachs may want to quit reading here.

Headed out the driveway, down the road, and exited the subdivision. Started hearing this light roaring and felt a slight (nothing too bad) vibration. I thought, well I'm almost to the gas station, I'll pull in and check everything out. Kerplunk @$@^#@&#^@$#^&&!!!!!!! The front end dropped hard, and all I heard was banging and grinding. I had very little control but managed to pull into a driveway, just as I slowed to a stop in the driveway, out of the fender comes rolling my drivers front wheel. pale Now I can't imagine that I would have not tightened the lugbolts all the way down, but obviously I must not have. There's no way all five could have broke loose that quick. I was scared to get out and see the damage. Finally got out, and called my mom to bring me some tools.

The only real bad damage is the front fender. It's dented real bad on the back edge. I hope it can be fixed and re-painted. It's a 62 fender that I did a lot of work on. I welded up the turn signal hole on top, and added bullet mounts on the front. I don't feel like doing that again as it took forever to get the bullets lined up right.

I got the wheel back home, hung my head in shame, and drove it back to my parents basement. The front wheel still feels bad, It's still loud and I can feel vibration. I'll have to pull the drum and see what internal damage I may have done. I was too pissed off to hang around over there, but I'm going to go back tonight and have another look. I'll get a few pics of the damage.

Long story short, I still plan on coming to Sonic, but I'm not sure if the bug will be back up and running by then. I don't really care about the fender right this moment, but I've got to fix whatever is causing that noise/vibration.

Keep those lugbolts tight!!!!!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:04 pm

Pics!
Here's the good. I finally have a tag. I really couldn't believe it when the officer didn't even want to look at the vin. If I had of known it would have been that easy, I would have gotten it inspected a long time ago and not even worried about the cracked windshields Rolling Eyes
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 CIMG3549

Here is the bad. After cooling down, I don't really think it's all that bad. Probably more than I care to tackle, but I think a body shop can make it as good as new. I'm not too worried about even getting it fixed immediately. I really just want to make sure the bearings and hub are ok and get it on the road (again). As Glenn said, trailers are for boats, I built this to look nice and be fun, but not to have a perfect show car. It's going to get its share of dings and scratches cause I plan on driving it alot. I think I should have it up and driving by next weekend, but honestly, I'm a bit nervous about the long drive to McDonough. I might need to take a few weeks of driving it around town to feel comfortable in it. I was feeling great about getting it to Sonic, but all this today, just kinda got my nerves.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 CIMG3542
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 CIMG3545
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Sorry to hear that. Done that before but I caught it before the wheel came loose. It could have been worse.... Stay on it you are so close!
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:03 pm

Picked up some parts today for a total of $40 and my one piece window doors off of my 67.
68 Beetle Speedometer
67 Passenger Front Fender
two 65-66 doors with glass
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 5 100_0228
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:09 pm

Attorney Isaiah Loophole wrote:It could have been worse.... Stay on it you are so close!
Yeah, I think that's why I'm not so down anymore. It could have been much worse. A little fender damage really isn't too big a deal. And I've definitely learned a lesson I'll keep with me for the rest of my life. Good score on the speedo and doors!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:14 pm

Sorry to here that, but by the pics it looks like it can be fixed.

Joe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 219

http://ATVW.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next