Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

74 super beetle wont idle when cold?

5 posters

Go down

74 super beetle wont idle when cold? Empty 74 super beetle wont idle when cold?

Post by m1auto Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:54 am

hey everyone first post here cheers

i have a 1974 super beetle that is the california model. it has a 34 pict-4 carb and everything is original. when the motor is cold and the choke valve is closed the thing will not idle until it is warmed up fully. and when it is warmed up it has a some what hard time starting, i have to hold the pedal to the floor to get it to start. it has the original air cleaner which is paper, it has a centrifugal distributor that has no vaccum advance. the motor is new and i know for a fact the valve adjustment is correct as it the ignition timing. Question

any help would be much apreciated Very Happy

m1auto
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

74 super beetle wont idle when cold? Empty Re: 74 super beetle wont idle when cold?

Post by bumblebuggy Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:38 pm

Is the engine running hot? The warm start issue could be a vaopr lock problem (fuel boiling off in the line/carb). You could have a vaccum leak somewhere as well.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

74 super beetle wont idle when cold? Empty Re: 74 super beetle wont idle when cold?

Post by m1auto Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:24 pm

no its not vapor locking, i thought this could have been the issue so i re routed the fuel line to a cooler place. it has an electric fuel pump under the gas tank so the fuel line in the engine compartment is nowhere near anything hot. i also watched the inside of the carb for a while after shutdown and its not "percolating" nothing was bubbling out. the boots on the intake pipes are new so i know their not leaking. Sad the problem was much worst before i replaced the float in the carb.

m1auto
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by m1auto Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:07 pm

i also tried using a 34 pict-3 carb and it hot started no problem ut good lord it would nt idle no matter what

m1auto
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:32 pm

check your points make sure they are not closed and set correctly and make sure your car does not have a total advance of more than 28 at around 3,000rpm also make sure your dizzy is advancing during rpm changes. if your manifold is cold check to make sure your manifold preheaters are clear and not blocked with carbon. also check idle cutoff on the side of carb to make sure its working correctly also.
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by m1auto Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:33 am

manifold heaters? as far as i know it has nothing of the sort. and it runs fine at high rpms so wouldnt the timing affect that too?

m1auto
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:48 am

Yes timing will affect many things but if it won't idle you must fix that problem first can you post a few pics of motor for a better visability of what ya got. Idle prob could be closed points,cloged carb jet, or vacuum leak .
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by m1auto Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:58 am

ok ill post pics asap i rebuilt the carb and it runs much better but still wont idle when cold, i have to goose it until it gets warm

m1auto
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Do you have any play in throttle shaft sometimes they get worn out to a point they cause a small vac leak
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by m1auto Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:41 pm

no the shaft is nice and tight. this all started after it sat for a couple years because before it sat it ran fine.

m1auto
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:35 pm

What ya running for a dizzy does it have new points and cond.ect I would check idle jet again and make sure its clean and file top of manifold to true it up flat and get rid of the high spots to make a better seal
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Also if your engine was stored up you might want to add 7cc of marvel mystery oil in the oil and add too your gas also you might have a stuck valveor ring causiing low compression
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by m1auto Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:09 am

hey thanks for all the help and its seems i might be close to solving this issue. i took the choke coil off and the spring was in front of the pin instead of hoked behind it like it should be. i fixed this and now its much better. i also found some info on how to adjust the choke and now it starts easy when its cold and hot however it still is hard to idle when its cold, but i think with some more adjustment it might be a problem solved... i hope Very Happy

m1auto
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by MRJEL Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:53 am

Just for grins; http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html

You may already have that info, but it is helpful anyway.

MRJEL
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:53 am

For the poor idle when cold, I think you need to look into what type4rev was saying above, clogged heat riser tubes. These are the small pipes connected to the center section of your manifold. They get clogged with carbon and block warm air from reaching the carb and can cause carb icing. After it has ran for a few minutes, do you notice any icing just under the carb?

Here's a link to different methods of cleaning out these pipes. This is for single port manifolds, but the method is the same if you have a dual port.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=519802
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down