Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+65
fearthefat138
dlandvw3
Evilrduck
alcpsy
70VWKG
Raggtop
daltondragger73
Terry 64
mtownbeetle70
jamrens
pwmcguire
hly3rd
Major62
scott
Hobug
Keyhole7
Muffler Bearing
camch
Rusty62
Laz
kstanle2
BugmanNDsun
drewBAKER
LB Bedwell
69panel
Treehive
Cave Man
vwovalchild
Tanbug
bakertim2
BKiller
39coupe
67vdub
rpm750
aircooledaddicts
tito
petervalle
vwkultur
Tanner
Damn-it Don
Cambur
vwtattooed
fluxcap
AlphaOmega
buggin70
Grifspop
57RTOval
adams77
sploval53
PeeWeeMan91
Bugman114
fried_chicken
68beetlebug
bagajo
DiggerD
callahan
Heinz57
ASBug
bumblebuggy
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Johnny
peregrine67
meinvw
zabo
DOODLE BUGG
69 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 3 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by fluxcap Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:50 am

I've put a pressure gauge on it a couple of times and it seems good. Always around 2.5-3 pounds. Gonna recheck it again. Maybe it's a bum gauge. I've got a holley regulator (this one actually has really really good reviews), but I haven't put it on yet. I was hoping to avoid using it as it's kinda bulky and quite frankly will be an eyesore in the engine compartment. But I may have to use it.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 3 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by vwtattooed Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:20 am

you may have a sticky float Eric, if your pressure is good and it is still leaking i lean towards a float issue. i can't say for sure as i don't know where it is leaking.
vwtattooed
vwtattooed
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:26 am

How the hell do they impound a car for no insurance? Were you driving it or did they just steal it from the street?
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:36 am

vwtattooed wrote:you may have a sticky float Eric, if your pressure is good and it is still leaking i lean towards a float issue. i can't say for sure as i don't know where it is leaking.

Yeah, I popped the top off the other day and the float and needle both seemed to be working great. I was thinking it was heat soak after shutdown causing the gas to expand and build pressure, cause I put a gauge on it, and drove it around and it stayed at 3lbs. Then once I cut it off, the gauge would rise to around 8lbs. However, it's been much cooler lately and the engine has been running much much cooler and it's still doing it. I've also checked all my lines and none are resting on a heat sourse (manifolds or heaterbox). I'll do some more experimenting with it as soon as I get back. I know it's leaking from around the throttle shaft (even though it was just rebushed), but it also appears to be leaking from a few other places I haven't been able to determine yet as there are traces of gas pretty much all over it sometimes.

I've read that the throttle shaft, even when brand new, is not an airtight seal, and leaking from there will still happen if the pressure gets to high. I just got to figure out why the pressure stays so high. Guess I'll put the gauge on it again and mess around with the pushrod some more and try out the regulator.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:35 pm

fluxcap wrote:I've read that the throttle shaft, even when brand new, is not an airtight seal, and leaking from there will still happen if the pressure gets to high

I'm tellin ya, ya need to dial down that hidden blow thru turbo. geek
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:29 am

vwtattooed wrote:you may have a sticky float Eric, if your pressure is good and it is still leaking i lean towards a float issue. i can't say for sure as i don't know where it is leaking.
I had a float once (plastic hollow one, not foam) that had seperated a slight bit and was allowing a little gas to get inside the float. This of course would not allow the float to get all the way up. Try this, take out the float hold it up to the sunlight and look through it, see any movement?
Funny thing was I sat this float on a work bench in every possible angle and never could get the gas (liquid) out of the float. 2 months later it was still in there!
I just put in an old Solex one and boomo presto fixed....
KC
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:17 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think it's the float. I actually just replaced the carb because the first one was doing the exact same thing. The current one is a rebuilt german solex done by Keifernet(from the samba) and I'm having the exact same problem. Definitely believe it is pressure related overriding the needle valve. I'll check anything though! Smile Hopefully I can get this squared away before Tampa. Thinking about getting dual kadrons and going with an electric fuel pump and regulator setup. I'm just tired of worrying about my car going up in flames.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by PeeWeeMan91 Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Hey how much is that kadron setup
PeeWeeMan91
PeeWeeMan91
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2010-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:56 pm

i use a carter electric pump. its supposed to be internally regulated, and has worked fine for me, with no issues. I bought it at summit for about $70.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by 57RTOval Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:17 pm

One little victory: I replaced the master cylinder, wheel cylinders, hoses and some of the metal brakes lines on the 66 last week. After much bleeding, the result was the pedal still going to the floor. It got parked out back for a while. I decided to look into things tonight an noticed slight pedal pressure just above the floor. All the wheels were pulled and brakes adjusted again. The brakes are back! The first time I stomped on it, one of the front wheels even chirped a bit. After some more test driving to settle the shoes in more, I'll readjust the brakes and she'll be roadworthy once again.
57RTOval
57RTOval
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 530
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Cambur Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:44 pm

buff, wet sand, buff, wet sand some more!
Cambur
Cambur
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:16 am

sand, sand, sand, skim, sand, sand, sand, sand, skim, skim, sand, skim, sand, cuss, skim some more, sand, sand , cuss a bit louder, pull widshield, cuss a whole lot, brush, sand, skim, fill, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand.... Will repeat today!
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cambur Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:13 am

Changed my username from 59 euro rag to cambur since the euro rag is long gone!

Thanks Bryce

now... off to buff that paint!
Cambur
Cambur
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:50 am

PeeWeeMan91 wrote:Hey how much is that kadron setup

They start at $499 for the 40's.
http://www.lowbugget.com/Kadron_carb_page.html
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:36 pm

New wheels with new rubber
205/40/17 for the front
215/50/17 for the rear
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 3 Downsize6
Going to be sick for sure
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cambur Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:40 pm

Gewwwww,

What you putting those on Bryce?
Cambur
Cambur
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:43 pm

Pretty sure I am going to put them on Pat
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by buggin70 Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:45 pm

i loveeeeee pattttttttt haha
buggin70
buggin70
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Cambur Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:46 pm

its gunna look sweet!
Cambur
Cambur
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by callahan Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:35 pm

those would look sick tucked up under frida!
callahan
callahan
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1271
Registration date : 2010-02-06

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1030359664

Back to top Go down

Post by buggin70 Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:42 pm

broke my exhaust so i had to order a new one
Embarassed
buggin70
buggin70
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by vwtattooed Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:02 pm

rebuilt the carb for the bay, finished up some details on the engine and realized the exhaust system i took 30 minutes to decide on will not fit a bus engine!!! another trip to see Lindy i guess. those wheels are bad ass Bryce, can't wait to see em on somethin!!
vwtattooed
vwtattooed
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:29 pm

fluxcap wrote:
PeeWeeMan91 wrote:Hey how much is that kadron setup

They start at $499 for the 40's.
http://www.lowbugget.com/Kadron_carb_page.html

Be sure to read the feedback on AJ at lowbudget.com. here is the samba link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=174119&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

If i remeber correctly, he takes forever to get stuff out the door, if at all. unless you pester him with phone calls everyday, you might see your part in a year or so, lol. I've never delt with them personally, so i don't know for sure. just thought i'd share, so you can make an informed desicsion for yourself. Wink
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by peregrine67 Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:51 pm

meinvw wrote:sand, sand, sand, skim, sand, sand, sand, sand, skim, skim, sand, skim, sand, cuss, skim some more, sand, sand , cuss a bit louder, pull widshield, cuss a whole lot, brush, sand, skim, fill, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand.... Will repeat today!
If you're doing the same on Saturday I may come up and help.
peregrine67
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1343
Registration date : 2010-01-27

http://freephilosophicaldiscussions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:06 pm

Bugman114 wrote:
Be sure to read the feedback on AJ at lowbudget.com. here is the samba link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=174119&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

If i remeber correctly, he takes forever to get stuff out the door, if at all. unless you pester him with phone calls everyday, you might see your part in a year or so, lol. I've never delt with them personally, so i don't know for sure. just thought i'd share, so you can make an informed desicsion for yourself. Wink

Thanks Mike, I'll read that when I get back. I know Glenn got his setup for the buggy from them and has been happy with them. I'm gonna try and get my fuel pressure issues solved first before going to duals, so I still have a while to think on it.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next