Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend!

+7
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
shaky
zabo
callahan
type901
bumblebuggy
fluxcap
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend! - Page 2 Empty Re: Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend!

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Looks like it is coming along nicely!

I may not make it this weekend because I might be prepping and priming the 60 with Dad since he finally got a weekend off....
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988
Registration date : 2008-07-20

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend! - Page 2 Empty Re: Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend!

Post by fluxcap Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:01 pm

No worries man. Good luck with the 60.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Have you found the e-brake cable mod you have to do to hook it up?

And swapping nose cone and hockey stick is straight forward....just make sure it is in neutral then it is just unbolt and bolt back up.
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:26 am

It was in nuetral when I pulled it, so I should be good there. I did find the ebrake mod a while back, but don't remember it now. Have to look it up again. I think somebody was saying you had to make a small sleeve out of tubing and cut like an inch or so out of the spring???? I'll figure it out today.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:22 am

fluxcap wrote:It was in nuetral when I pulled it, so I should be good there. I did find the ebrake mod a while back, but don't remember it now. Have to look it up again. I think somebody was saying you had to make a small sleeve out of tubing and cut like an inch or so out of the spring???? I'll figure it out today.

When I did mine I used the adapters from Wolfgang, but really it's just a tube that has been turned down a little on one end. I have mine out so I could put up some pics and measurements if you need it.
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:29 am

If you have it handy, that would be awesome Digger! I've seen a few pics on the samba, but nothing very detailed. I'm kinda confused about how the spacer goes on. Doesn't seem like it would be big enough to fit over the looped end of the cable. Does the spacer have a slit in it or something?
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by shaky Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:39 am

Not sure what time I'll be there, have to get rid of my nephews first then I'll head out. Just water for me.
shaky
shaky
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2009-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:12 am

fluxcap wrote:If you have it handy, that would be awesome Digger! I've seen a few pics on the samba, but nothing very detailed. I'm kinda confused about how the spacer goes on. Doesn't seem like it would be big enough to fit over the looped end of the cable. Does the spacer have a slit in it or something?

As soon as I get my tranny back, (hopefully today or tomorrow) I will take some pics. The tube just acts as an extension for the brake cable, at least in my case that's how it worked. My rears are type 3 but it think it works the same for all types.
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:29 pm

No worries Shaky. I'll have plenty of water waiting for you when you get here.

Sounds good Digger!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by shaky Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:43 pm

should be there by 10
shaky
shaky
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:57 pm

Sounds good! I got a ton of grease and grime cleaned off of most everything today, so we hopefully wont get too filthy.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:37 pm

fluxcap wrote:It was in nuetral when I pulled it, so I should be good there.

Pulled the nose cone off the old bus transaxle this afternoon and then thought about what bonehead statement that was. It's not the bus transaxle that matters, it's the new bug transaxle. geek Anyways, I haven't pulled the nosecone off the bug transaxle yet, but I do know how the forks should be aligned for neutral, so still no worries there!

Hope to see some of you guys in the morning. Got to get the shift rod out and the new bushings in, then we can start putting it all back together cheers

I also found some 3/8 copper pipe at lowes that has an inner diameter that fits snuggly over the metal endcap of the e-brake cable, and has an outer diameter still small enough to fit in the stop bracket that attaches to the backing plate. Bad news is it is just a coupler, and I think it will be a tad to short. Gonna try and go back in the morning and see if I can't find a longer piece. No biggie either way, I can live without an e-brake for a week or so, if I end up having to order one of the wolfgang kits.

Last edited by fluxcap on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:57 pm

neutral

Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend! - Page 2 207524

Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend! - Page 2 207521
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Oops, just noticed the typo in my earlier post. I meant "i do know how the forks...", not "I do not how the forks..." I fixed it now! Thanks for the pics though, that's how the bus forks looked!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by loves trim Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Well, I was trying to make it. My brother is shipping out to boot camp tomorrow so we had a gtg for him.

loves trim
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2011-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:17 pm

No worries Kip!

I really can't thank Shaky, Bob, and Callahan enough. You guys went all out today and I truly appreciate all the hard work. Me and Bob finally got to take it for a spin through the neighborhood about 7pm. 1st and 2nd are really hard to find, but hopefully will get better with a little tweaking of the shifter position, and possibly a new lock-out plate (reverse is kinda easy to hit Very Happy ).

I didn't really drive it hard, and we probably only went about 2 miles, but it was a LOT quieter than the old trans. I'm thinking it will be all good once I get the final bugs worked out. It's got some vibration when accelerating from a dead stop and when shifting into 2nd.

I hope to put a few more miles on it tomorrow and give it a good test run. Then slowly start working the adjustment bugs out. Still got to get the e-brake figured out as well.

Again, i really really appreciate you guys coming over, I enjoyed hanging with everyone. Sorry it gave us so much problems, but it finally went in!

Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend! - Page 2 Photobucket-4322-1332633959241
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:14 pm

Good job guys! Hope there is or will be more pictures. Wish I could have made it but I am trying to get some primer on the 60 by the end of tomorrow...
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:32 pm

Had a blast Eric, good times with great buds.
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by shaky Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:07 am

I'm just happy we got it installed and running. good time, learned a lot, bled a little.
shaky
shaky
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:12 pm

I measured the Ebrake extenders and they are 3 1/4" long. I'll get a pic up later today.
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks man. I was just under there adjusting my clutch cable a little more. I'm using later beetle brakes, so the e-brake cable goes in the bottom of the backing plate, rather than at the top. So I have to go under the spring plate. Looks doable, but a picture would definitely help me see what I need to fab up.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:34 pm

Here ya go:

Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend! - Page 2 Brakeadpt1

Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend! - Page 2 Brakeadpt2
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Awesome man, looks simple enough to fab up. Should be able to do that with the fittings I picked up the other day. Gonna try and work on something this week. Thinking about dropping the rear end a couple more inches, so may wait until I do that so I can figure out exactly how long I need to make everything.

Thanks! Hope your re-install goes easier than ours!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2