Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

**How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild.

4 posters

Go down

**How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild. Empty **How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild.

Post by DiggerD Sun May 17, 2009 11:13 am

Well, I had the parts for a while now and am finally getting around to installing lowering struts and rebuilding the complete front suspension of the 71. The plan is to drop the front some and replace all the suspension parts to eliminate the shimmy I get around 45-50 mph.
Here are the components that will be installed:

**How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild. 71suspension1[/URL][/img]
I ordered the parts from Topline in California. http://www.toplineparts.com/ Pictured are the adjustable lowering struts, modified strut inserts, sport springs, lowered 7/8 sway bar and the complete front end rebuild kit consisting of center tie rod, right and left tie rods, two ball joints, idler arm bushing, steering damper, damper bushing, urethane control arm bushings, and sway bar bushings. Also pictured are the rear KYB GR-2 shocks that will be replacing the stock units. The spindles, strut bearings, and control arms are the original pieces that I have already refurbished.

I will post the progress as I complete it, so this might take several posts until I'm done! Smile

more to come............. Cool
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

**How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild. Empty Re: **How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild.

Post by DiggerD Sun May 17, 2009 11:56 am

OK, lets get started!
The first thing to do is to assemble the struts. Here are the main components that make up the strut:
**How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild. Strutinsert1[/URL][/img]
On the top is the adjustable strut housing, (this is the older style three bolt strut for 71-72 supers. The later models use a two bolt mount similar to a Porsche setup.) On the bottom is the modified lowered strut insert. The middle left is the internal centering ring that will locate the insert in the middle of the housing. The middle right is the threaded top cap for the strut housing.

The centering ring is placed into the housing and will self-center in the bottom of the tube:

**How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild. Centeringring[/URL][/img]

The insert is placed into the strut housing and will fit snugly into the centering ring that is located in the bottom of the tube. The threaded top cap is then installed and tightened down:

**How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild. Topcap[/URL][/img]

The height of the front end is adjusted via a snap ring that fits into one of the grooves machined into the strut housing:

**How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild. Snapringdetail[/URL][/img]
The bottom spring perch will rest on the snap ring. Each groove represents roughly 1/2" of drop. Here we see the strut set up for a 3" drop. This is about the middle of the adjustment range for this strut and should be a good starting point. (we will fine tune it later)

Next, the bottom spring perch is installed and rests on the top of the snap ring:

**How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild. Bottomspringperch[/URL][/img]

The rubber bump stop is placed onto the strut rod and the strut housing is complete! Cool

**How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild. Bumpstop[/URL][/img]

Here is the completed strut housing:

**How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild. Strutassembly[/URL][/img]

In the next post we will compress the spring, affraid and install the top perch and bearing and lock it all down ready to install onto the car! cheers

More to come......... Cool
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Back to top Go down

**How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild. Empty Re: **How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild.

Post by DiggerD Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:38 pm

Yeah I know, I've been slacking on this project........... Suspect

I did finally get the spring compressor set up and assembled one strut:
**How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild. Springcompressor[/URL][/img]

I will get back on track with this soon.............I promise Wink
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:21 am

That setup looks kinda scary. I can just see one of those slidnig off and a spring shooting through a wall. Shocked
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:33 am

There's no way that car could shimmy now, you've got a new replacement part for every single piece!
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

**How to** Super Beetle lowering strut install and complete front end rebuild. Empty Shimmy

Post by allan4570 Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:47 pm

I have a 71 Super also. It had a shimmy at about 50-55 then it would ease out. I tried first checking the bearings and readjusting; tightening or loosening the spindle nut. Got a roar out of the right front. So, the next logical step was to replace the bearings with new ones. Since I have owned the car, 2 years now, I've not driven it much so the shimmy did not matter. But after rebuilding the motor and driving it more, I decided to try some new bearings. I now have a car with about 58,000 miles on it and it drives like a new one! Wonderful handling, tracks straight and true. So, I guess I was lucky. Anyway, keep the post coming on the strut lowering. I want to drop mine down also, the right way.
allan4570
allan4570
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down