Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+57
Stockornaut Restorations
BUBBABEAR
tronview
bakertim2
DiggerD
laith
fried_chicken
AirKewled
fearthefat138
skunk
57RTOval
jshmnghm
Goped406
vwkultur
meinvw
Barb E. Dahl
Bugman114
wheel_sun
rpm750
petervalle
Cambur
racecar67
LungTube
56HAVOC
vwfanatic67
greg5003
sploval53
69panel
DiscoSquirrel
zabo
65type2dailydriver
jim conner
dbcox
svkustoms
Johnny
Damn-it Don
59suicide
EngineerTEN
vwovalchild
panic_fan
65veedub
39coupe
jimbear
billieco
aircooledaddicts
Joe
bumblebuggy
kabriolett
ksc78vw
VW12step
Hobug
Treehive
tito
daltondragger73
fluxcap
71_georgia_beetle
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
61 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 9 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by dbcox Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:33 pm

Got the new rear beam installed on the 2004,and got it ready for the tow dolly so i can haul ass to the paint and body shop friday. What a Face
dbcox
dbcox
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-08-09

http://www.lubedealer.com/dbcox

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 9 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by 69panel Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:56 pm

I chased carb problems. The motor has dual Solex/Brosol/Kadrons 40/44 eis. (Pick your favorite name) I cranked it and if I played with the pedal I could keep it running but it wouldn't idle. I wish I had a video of me standing outside my bug with one leg in the car feathering the gas pedal and then running to the engine to grab the crossover bar and blip it before it died. You guys would be laughing. Razz After doing that several times it dawned on me to jack up the idle screws...duh!!!! I read the info at "low budget" about setting Kadrons and methodically went through each step and found the air idle screws were so backed out they were nearly falling out. I ran them in and backed out two full turns and then dropped the idle screws down and miraculously my bug started idling on it's own. (Still idling too fast but way better) I then checked the cross bar adjustment and it wasn't in sync. I fiddled with it and my idle dropped even further. Now it purrs like it should. Cool

Tomorrow I'll go back and fiddle with the air idle screws to see if it can get even better. The PO left the engine seal off even though there is a brand new one in the pile of parts he gave me. It looks like I'll be pulling the motor soon because I don't see how it's possible to put it on with the motor in the car.

My motor seems to sit lower in the engine compartment by maybe an inch or better. That raises the question: Is this normal? I looked at the engine seal and it doesn't seem wide enough to fill the gap and drop down on the engine tin. Anybody have an answer? confused
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:08 pm

I installed a crankcase vent box today. I also installed a new chrome emergency/parking brake handle the PO provided. It looks nice in between my crusty heat controls. I pulled and trimmed the rear skirt to fit a little better. I folded the bottom lip inward so it doesn't rub the muffler now. I installed a new horn that came with the car...it still doesn't work. I'll check the contacts on the column and the fuse.

I tried out the shifter and it's tight and very short throw.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:21 pm

I lowered the rear one click today. Managed to get a battle scar when my wrench slipped off the rear shock as I was hunched over the brake drum. Promply smashed my cheek on the the drum, pulled back in pain, and whacked the back of my head on the wheel well. Crying or Very sad Double whammy! All work has ceased at this point as I'm short several shims for the drivers side link pins and have to wait for them to show up before I can finish. Mad

I love my bus but geting parts for this thing is a pain in the ass. I should've been driving around today looking for gas today.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:28 pm

So I guess the beetle ones dont fit. Oh well I guess some one needs to invest in some bus parts in GA....

On a side note I pulled my motor out of my 67 in preparation for a trade and I found the my collar on my pressure plate had came loose....
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988
Registration date : 2008-07-20

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:43 pm

69panel wrote:My motor seems to sit lower in the engine compartment by maybe an inch or better. That raises the question: Is this normal? I looked at the engine seal and it doesn't seem wide enough to fill the gap and drop down on the engine tin. Anybody have an answer? confused

I just went out and looked at mine. My tin sits even with the channel for the rubber all the way around. I have a 62 so it may have changed over the years. You have a 68 right? Maybe post a pic and let's see how much a gap you have.

Yesterday I installed the third brake light in the rear vents. Didn't go quite as smooth as I hoped. I'll do a write up on it in a day or so. I worked on it over at my parents and left the camera over there.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:47 pm

Attorney Isaiah Loophole wrote:Drove my motor that I just built and it ran good.

That's awesome! Must have been a great feeling to drive what you built. I still plan on trying that one day. I bought a few books when I was thinking about rebuilding an old 1500 I have, then just felt like I was getting in over my head. Laughing Congrats!!

bumblebuggy wrote:
Managed to get a battle scar when my wrench slipped off the rear shock as I was hunched over the brake drum. Promply smashed my cheek on the the drum
OUCH!!! That's bad way to land. Now quit your cryin and get that bus back on the road. You planning on having it at Reynolds (if you're going to Reynolds)?
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:01 pm

Got my new hoodie! Pics tomorrow.....
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by aircooledaddicts Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:10 pm

Attorney Isaiah Loophole wrote:Got my new hoodie! Pics tomorrow.....
Awesome! I can't wait to see it Smile
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1670

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:13 am

fluxcap wrote:OUCH!!! That's bad way to land. Now quit your cryin and get that bus back on the road. You planning on having it at Reynolds (if you're going to Reynolds)?

Should be rolling down to Renolds. I think I somehow managed to get that entire weekend off.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:52 am

drilled my new rear drums so i could get the oil slingers in.

Hopefully will have time to give it a proper washing and shine this weekend.

new flasher switch on the way
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:37 pm

I put the window back in the drivers door along with the vent glass and the felt channel. I stiil need to reinstall the back glass but there is a little rust issue.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by tito Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:01 am

drop spindles engage!!!
tito
tito
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 9 Empty Put this baby on today

Post by Damn-it Don Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:52 pm

Just finished repainting it Cool Pretty, No? How soon until they pull me over for an 'invalid tag' Question It'll happen. Twisted Evil again

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 9 DSCN0150

Last edited by Don Hall on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:13 pm

Beautiful tag. Cool

Where can I find a '68 myself?
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by sploval53 Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:06 pm

limo Rack From TAN BUG WORKS AKA TAN BUG FROM BKC
Changed out the Sprint stars for a set of chromies 5.5 in the back and 4.5 in front Hot rod red drums
got to love the hot rod look
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 9 09-27-17
sploval53
sploval53
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:27 am

Hey man, she' s got a nice rack. Very Happy
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 59suicide Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:25 pm

Put in a tv for the little munchkin, and a sort of a center console, very solid works good, check out my build thread for the real scoop Laughing MYTHREAD

Mocked up
[img]What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 9 Septem15[/img]

playing
[img]What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 9 Septem16[/img]

gonna carpet it later
[img]What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 9 Septem17[/img]

She cant wait to cruise again so she can test out that monitor!
[img]What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 9 Septem18[/img]
59suicide
59suicide
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:59 pm

Pulled the motor in Ashley's car. Replaced the output shaft seal. Put the motor back in and forgot to put the throw out bearing back on. Pulled the motor again and put the throw-out bearing on then put the motor back in. Then took it out for a little drive.cheers
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:40 pm

I've broke in about 400 miles on my engine so I wanted to give it a quick tune before the long drive to Reynolds. Glad I did. The valves were in good shape and required minimal adjusting. But the points were messed up. I popped the dizzy cap and pulled the rotor and then turned the engine over by hand a couple of rotations. Never saw the points budge at all Shocked . The car had been running fairly well (a little sluggish at times) so the points must have been opening and closing a little, but I could not see any movement. Adjusted that gap to .016 and then moved on to timing. I'm not sure how the timing was before I fixed the gap, but after fixing the gap, the initial timing was around 25* BTDC at idle Shocked Shocked . It's an 009 so I set the idle to 7.5*. Then reved it up to 3000 and fine tuned it to around 28BTDC. Rechecked the idle and it was between 8-9 so I took it out for a spin. Much improvement!!! I had been driving it a few miles everynight, so I guess it had just gradually gone down hill and I didn't notice it. Tons of pep now.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by vwovalchild Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:08 am

fluxcap

You might want to consider this item. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=441866

I put one in a year ago and have had to do nothing. I carry a set of points and condensor just in case. Runs great and was installed n less than 10 mins.
vwovalchild
vwovalchild
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2008-07-27

http://www.AirCooledArcheology.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:52 am

votwing wrote:fluxcap

You might want to consider this item. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=441866

I put one in a year ago and have had to do nothing. I carry a set of points and condensor just in case. Runs great and was installed n less than 10 mins.

Yep, I have thought about those. For the price they worth a try. I could just keep my points and condensor as a backup. I'll probably add that to my list of Winter to-do's. (Well, if it takes only around 10 minutes, I may get to it sooner than that.) Thanks!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:03 am

I put one in a year ago and have had to do nothing. I carry a set of points and condenser just in case. Runs great and was installed n less than 10 mins.

I installed the kit along with the blaster coil as well the 8mm plug wires that PO so graciously gave me with my Bug when I bought it. I also adjusted the valves and put in Bosch platinum plugs. It all made a huge difference in the way it runs and noticeably more power. (The seat of the pants feel)

Side note: I didn't move the distributor when I installed the pickup and the magnetic ring yet when I fired it up and checked the timing it was way off. Not a problem because I just reset it where it belonged. Cool
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:36 am

Flux - I had the same issue of my points closing up - had this happen a couple of times - switched to the hotspark that votwing has listed and have had no other problems. I also carry a set of points and a condensor just in case.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 455

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:38 am

I've been running a Pertronix for almost 10 years. The only one I've had fail is one I fried trying to static time.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next