Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+57
Stockornaut Restorations
BUBBABEAR
tronview
bakertim2
DiggerD
laith
fried_chicken
AirKewled
fearthefat138
skunk
57RTOval
jshmnghm
Goped406
vwkultur
meinvw
Barb E. Dahl
Bugman114
wheel_sun
rpm750
petervalle
Cambur
racecar67
LungTube
56HAVOC
vwfanatic67
greg5003
sploval53
69panel
DiscoSquirrel
zabo
65type2dailydriver
jim conner
dbcox
svkustoms
Johnny
Damn-it Don
59suicide
EngineerTEN
vwovalchild
panic_fan
65veedub
39coupe
jimbear
billieco
aircooledaddicts
Joe
bumblebuggy
kabriolett
ksc78vw
VW12step
Hobug
Treehive
tito
daltondragger73
fluxcap
71_georgia_beetle
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
61 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 6 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by svkustoms Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:43 pm

paints is paint it just good know got hurt, still sucks though
svkustoms
svkustoms
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-08-16

http://www.myspace.com/svkustom

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 6 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by bumblebuggy Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:54 am

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Dude that soooooooo sucks! I'm sorry to hear it but the damage looks minimal compared to what it could've been and the important thing is that you're OK.

I can see two very important VW lessons you've learned from this...

1. When you're car starts to make funny noises, it's talking to you. Sometimes it's just a quirk and others it's more serious. Since you're just getting started, you don't know the quirks yet and need to chase stuff down. VWs rarely just break. 99.99% of the time they'll give you a warning that something is about to go wrong. It's important that you listen or you could find yourself in trouble. You listened just in the nick of time this go around. Imagine if you were rolling 50mph and that wheel departed the car. That's one of the reasons I said to roll it around before you made the trek to Sonic. Give the car the once over again and take it for another spin. Make sure all you hoses are clamped, look undeneath and make sure the trany bolts are still snug, ensure your dizzy is tight (sometimes people forget to snug it after timing), check the steering coupler, check that the brakes aren't leaking anywhere and the res is till full, smell for fuel, grab the dipstick and make sure it's not runnning too hot. Gradually work your way further with each spin untill you feel comfortable.

2. Always have tools with you and start to build your spare parts cache now.
Mimimum: Small metric tool kit, belt, points, dash bulbs, fuses, zip ties, tape.
Good to have: 36mm socket, breaker bar, clutch cable, accel cable, dizzy cap, plug wires, rotor button, spark plugs, engine gasket kit.

You've got over a week to work out the kinks before the Sonic meet. If you would like, I'll roll out to meet you and follow you over to McDonough that day. Let me know.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:36 am

Thanks for all the kind words guys. The car will get a major inspection this weekend. I'll check every nut, bolt, clamp, and else anything that can move. I have to work everyday next week, so I'm not going to have a lot of time to do test drives before the weekend. I work downtown, so test drives to and from work won't be an option. I'll only have a little time in the evenings. Thanks for the offer Glenn, but I'm just not sure I'll have enough time to be comfortable with it. I still plan on coming out either way so I can meet more of the crew. Thanks again for the words of encouragement.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 65type2dailydriver Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:13 pm

Got a few things done on the old bus over the weekend.
Oil change, gaped points, set dwell and timing. She is running well.
I have not gotten to the main seal, (no place to pull motor, and have never done it before)
so i will continue to check oil level frequently, and try and drive in the back of the line the
next time we go for a cruise (hopefully to invade the Airheads)
Also i ordered the seals to fix my freshair duct so it will stop dripping on me when it rains.
I also found me a 65 GA plate, going in the morning to get it legal!
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 6 0903081949
65type2dailydriver
65type2dailydriver
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-08-25

http://www.gregoryalanclark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EngineerTEN Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:25 pm

Back in 1999 I had a rear wheel come off because I didn't get the lug nuts tight enough. When I pulled the drum, I found that the hub was almost stripped because I didn't tighten the axle nut tight enough.

I forgot to mention it here - about 10 weeks ago I was stranded on the side of the road because my car wouldent go. It was in gear and engine running. I went to the back and saw the hub spinning but the drum and wheel just stayed there - on both sides. It stripped both drum hubs. I had just received my order for my new drums so it was not that bad. I never checked the torque since I has purchased the car.

All this is not good for my OCD because now I check and recheck the hub nut over and over again. I use my breaker bar and I stand on it. I am about 230 lbs so I know if it dosent budge then it is good.
EngineerTEN
EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by 65type2dailydriver Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:23 am

This morning I got my vintage plate legal.
Looking at the picture below, I guess i need a lens cover for the license plate light. (anybody have one?)
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 6 0904080914
65type2dailydriver
65type2dailydriver
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-08-25

http://www.gregoryalanclark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:01 am

Got the beam down today. Mostly broken down and cleaning 41 years worth of grime off of it. Parts and dirt and dirty parts everywhere. Spindles are off and ready to be shipped. Just realized that I have 205s on my bus. Probably going to have to buy 195s or 185s for the front to get them to clear without rubbing. We shall see.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:04 am

bumblebuggy wrote:Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
VWs rarely just break. 99.99% of the time they'll give you a warning that something is about to go wrong.

I most be in the 00.01%. One of my mufflers decided to take flight going down the highway. Embarassed Bounced off the road and over a Jeep Cherokee. bounce Made it home and put a stinger on till I get another muffler.

Joe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://ATVW.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:24 pm

Joe wrote:
bumblebuggy wrote:Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
VWs rarely just break. 99.99% of the time they'll give you a warning that something is about to go wrong.

I most be in the 00.01%. One of my mufflers decided to take flight going down the highway. Embarassed Bounced off the road and over a Jeep Cherokee. bounce Made it home and put a stinger on till I get another muffler.

Laughing If you made it home it wasn't really broken...just missing parts. Cool
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:04 pm

True that Laughing
I need to get a bumper sticker that says stay back 500 feet.

Joe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 219

http://ATVW.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by aircooledaddicts Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:33 pm

65type2dailydriver wrote:This morning I got my vintage plate legal.
Looking at the picture below, I guess i need a lens cover for the license plate light. (anybody have one?)

Looks good! It actually matches the paint, that doesnt happen often Smile
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1670

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:58 am

aircooledaddicts wrote:
65type2dailydriver wrote:This morning I got my vintage plate legal.

Looks good! It actually matches the paint, that doesnt happen often Smile

I would love those colors on my car. I got stuck with red on white for a blue and white car. Laughing
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:57 am

Friday I tore my front drum apart. Checked all the bearings, races, brake components, and inspected the hub. Everything looked good, so I cleaned it all up, regreased everything and put it back together. While checking this I noticed that my link pins had a little slop in them. Tightened them up yesterday. Yesterday I also sandblasted my bumper brackets and overrider supports. This morning I por-15 the bumper pieces and later today I plan on painting them with a silvery paint close to their original color. I've put about 15 miles on the car this weekend trying to make sure it's ok after my wheel "mishap" earlier this week.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by panic_fan Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:24 pm

Got some new L.E.D. lightbulbs for when I throw it into reverse...

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 6 476853
panic_fan
panic_fan
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:41 pm

Put the cover on her and pushed her in the garage until my temper over the brakes or lack there of cools down. Sad
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:57 pm

Put my new WW bumpers on Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy. Here's the front, getting everything lined up!
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 6 CIMG3553

And here is the rear all finished. Also installed the mounts for my mud flaps. The flaps are just loosely hanging by the bolts, Laughing I need to make a trip to Ace and pick up some nuts Shocked
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 6 CIMG3556
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:38 pm

Sweet Flux! I say you chance the drive from Newnan. We all want to see that car. What a Face PM me and I'll give you my number and we'll send the cavalry if you have any problems.

This week I sent out my spindles to be flipped @ WegensWest. Sadly the Jolly Rancher won't make it to Sonic this time. Crying or Very sad

Tomorrow I'll be running the beam over to a machine shop to get the center pin bushings reamed. Then it'll be time for some paint and reassembly.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:47 am

Thanks Glenn, I'll send you a pm. I'm gonna try and put about another 30 miles on it before this weekend. I can take backroads and it will be about a 1 hour/45mile drive to the Sonic. I think I'm just going to leave a little early and take a few cool down breaks along the way. Now back to the thread topic, last night I mounted a reverse light. Just need to run the wires to the nosecone which I hope to do tonight after I buy some electrical connector thingys.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:50 am

cars looking great fluxcap

picking up my rebuilt engine after work today

Just put on new front shocks, and replaced my deteriorating brake fluid cap yesterday.
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:17 pm

So who did you end up going with for the engine rebuild?
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:08 pm

ill wait to see wht i got for the money before i give them any plugs
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:17 pm

Well I hope it turns out good for you! Smile
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:15 pm

Just got back from having some 195/65/15s put on the wheels I just got from Jason. Now I just have to find time tonight or tomorrow to get the wheels put on the car before cruising to sonic Saturday.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 455

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:39 pm

It is going to completely change the look of your car. Cant wait to see it!
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by EngineerTEN Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:45 pm

Eric,

I am looking forward to seeing how the car is going to look whith the wheels. Post some pictures up soon.

I'll be at Cobb hospital all weekend. My wife is having a c section tomorrow morning. I really hope she is able to recover enough to go to the Bugs at the Branch show next weekend.
EngineerTEN
EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next