Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+57
Stockornaut Restorations
BUBBABEAR
tronview
bakertim2
DiggerD
laith
fried_chicken
AirKewled
fearthefat138
skunk
57RTOval
jshmnghm
Goped406
vwkultur
meinvw
Barb E. Dahl
Bugman114
wheel_sun
rpm750
petervalle
Cambur
racecar67
LungTube
56HAVOC
vwfanatic67
greg5003
sploval53
69panel
DiscoSquirrel
zabo
65type2dailydriver
jim conner
dbcox
svkustoms
Johnny
Damn-it Don
59suicide
EngineerTEN
vwovalchild
panic_fan
65veedub
39coupe
jimbear
billieco
aircooledaddicts
Joe
bumblebuggy
kabriolett
ksc78vw
VW12step
Hobug
Treehive
tito
daltondragger73
fluxcap
71_georgia_beetle
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
61 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 40 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by Goped406 Sun May 24, 2009 6:31 pm

Me and my dad put the engine back in his baja. we had to get the head fixed, the spark plug threads were crossthreaded.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 40 01210

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 40 01310
Goped406
Goped406
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 40 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by DiggerD Sun May 24, 2009 8:02 pm

Goped406 wrote:Me and my dad put the engine back in his baja. we had to get the head fixed, the spark plug threads were crossthreaded.

That engine looks nice!!! Cool

I have a set of those same push rod tubes. I was gonna put them on the 71's engine this winter to try and cure some of the oil leaks. Has he had any problems with them leaking??
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Goped406 Sun May 24, 2009 9:16 pm

DiggerD wrote:
Goped406 wrote:Me and my dad put the engine back in his baja. we had to get the head fixed, the spark plug threads were crossthreaded.

That engine looks nice!!! Cool

I have a set of those same push rod tubes. I was gonna put them on the 71's engine this winter to try and cure some of the oil leaks. Has he had any problems with them leaking??

Not sure yet. we just got it in and fired it up. we still need to tune it up. we did get some new seals for the ends of the pushrods so we will see
Goped406
Goped406
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by aircooledaddicts Sun May 24, 2009 9:17 pm

Looks good John. Hows it running?
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Goped406 Sun May 24, 2009 9:19 pm

aircooledaddicts wrote:Looks good John. Hows it running?

it runs good. it wont idle yet, but i think were gonna look at the timing tmr to see if we can fix it
Goped406
Goped406
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon May 25, 2009 7:09 pm

Got the rest of the brakes bled today. Put the gas tank back in and installed a new fuel filter. Then drove it from my parents basement up to the driveway. Just a short drive but the front end settled a good bit and I realized that with the gas tank, spare tire and me in the car the tires did rub the fenders. Raised it back up about 3/4 of an inch and took it for a spin up and down the road. It made a few funny noises but I think it was just setteling in. Decided to jack it up and give everything a quick inspection. Everything looked good I crawled out and went for the jack...then I heard something.

Drip, Drip, Drip, gushing, gushing, gushing. Jumped to the floor and liquid was just pouring from the framehead area. I thought when I jacked it up maybe a tierod yanked one of my brakelines, but I smelled it and it was gas!!! I thought for a second about just grabbing a match and putting it out of it's misery, but instead I disconnected the battery and then yanked the tank out. The hose had broke right at the tank outlet??? It was a very short line from the tank to the tunnel and I think the angle of the outlet tube and short hose just stressed it to much. Fortunately, I had only put about a gallon in it, unfortunately it peeled every bit of Por-15 of the framehead. I'll repaint it later.

Found some more hose and put it back together. Adjusted the outlet tube for a better angle and used more hose to give it room to flex. Drove it to the gas station and then to my house. I didn't hear any more settling noises and the brakes were AWESOME. Not sure what I'll do with the rear. I kinda like the raked stance, but the 165's on the rear look a little funny now. I may still go down 1 spline.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Mon May 25, 2009 8:27 pm

nice eric- glad you were at home when tht happened

just ordered another hockey stick- I was shipped the wrong one. seriously cant wait to have this trans in (again)
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Goped406 Tue May 26, 2009 12:15 am

Dropped the engine out of my dub. Just gonna clean it up a bit, put some new gaskets on. Switch back to the original tins. Paint some parts, and do the firewall.
Goped406
Goped406
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 40 Empty Headliner Saga

Post by 69panel Tue May 26, 2009 12:21 pm

My regular upholsterer tore his rotator cuff and can not install my VW Beetle headliner. I call around and a long time buddy and resident of the Gainesville area recommends this local guy. I call and the guy says he is very good and has done plenty of headliners and he wants $350.00 with me supplying the kit. I make him aware that he doesn't have to remove anything nor does he have to put any parts back on. He wants to look at it so he comes over to my house to give me a price.

My bug is an empty shell...no glass...no seats...no side panels...no mirror...no visor...no seat belts...no dome light...nothing for him to remove or re-install. He says $200.00 and he'll do it in my shop. I agree and we set a date and time. He says he'll call before coming.
Now the day he picked is over, it's nearly dark so I call him and he says he has not forgotten and he was about to call me. Now he wants $50.00 more for gas money. I said what kind of car are you driving that justifies $50.00 gas to drive eleven miles. He says, "How about $20.00?" I agree reluctantly.

He shows up with his wife (She speaks no English) and starts the job...an hour later I begin to realize he doesn't know "S*it" about installing headliners. He took the headliner back to his shop and added a sleeve for the sixth bow...(it was a five bow one piece kit) all of which would have been OK if he had added it to the forward part of the headliner but he didn't he added it to the rear and now he's back at my shop and realizing the kit is screwed because there is not enough material to cover the "C" pillar and there is a two foot flap of material hanging out the windshield opening.

He says he'd rather work with a kit from his supplier. I said don't be upset I'll pay for the one you pick up. He says he'll call me Tuesday after he talks with a company he orders headliners from. (I will most likely never hear from him again) He's saying I had the wrong kit or the kit was no good. As he is leaving my shop his body language is telling me he's PO'ed . I asked, "Why are you angry?" He says, "Because I'm out all of this time I spent trying to install your defective headliner". I didn't want to embarrass him in front of his wife so I just let it go. It was a TMI headliner kit so I know it was him not the kit. I also had the instructions there for him to look at. When I tried to show him he didn't want to see them...probably can't read English and there were not enough pictures.

Billie at Stockornaut is the back up plan. I told Billie and he agreed to do my headliner if this guy flakes. Once again Billie to the rescue.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

Post by Goped406 Tue May 26, 2009 8:16 pm

stripped my engine down to the long block. just ordered new gaskets from mid america. gonna pick up some paint tmr. still got to build my firewall, and rebuild the axel boot and joints.
Goped406
Goped406
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Tue May 26, 2009 10:25 pm

Goped406 wrote:stripped my engine down to the long block. just ordered new gaskets from mid america. gonna pick up some paint tmr. still got to build my firewall, and rebuild the axel boot and joints.

Hey John,

You still need that generator? Its been in the back seat waiting for ya! Very Happy
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Back to top Go down

Post by Goped406 Tue May 26, 2009 11:35 pm

DiggerD wrote:
Goped406 wrote:stripped my engine down to the long block. just ordered new gaskets from mid america. gonna pick up some paint tmr. still got to build my firewall, and rebuild the axel boot and joints.

Hey John,

You still need that generator? Its been in the back seat waiting for ya! Very Happy

Ya i sure do, are you going to be at starbucks on thursday? I really appreciate it Very Happy
Goped406
Goped406
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Tue May 26, 2009 11:58 pm

Goped406 wrote:
DiggerD wrote:

Hey John,

Ya i sure do, are you going to be at starbucks on thursday? I really appreciate it Very Happy

Yeah, I will have it with me on Thursday.
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Wed May 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Well surprise, surprise the upholstery guy never called or came by to take care of my headliner.

I worked on the waterbug putting on new fuel lines and a fuel filter. My buddy George is so smart. I asked, "How are we going to determine which fuel injector is making it idle and run so rough?"
George said, "Easy...With this...holding out an infa-red temperature gun. I'll take a reading on each header pipe close to the cylinder head and because you're running headers the coldest cylinder will be the one with the dirty or bad injector." He's brilliant in my opinion. I had a "why didn't I think of that?" moment.

We read the heat signature of all four cylinders and # 2 is the culprit. It read 230 degrees and the others read 590 degrees. George said it's delivering some fuel but not near as much as the others.
George said we'll run a compression test tomorrow too make sure it's not a bad valve. Cool
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Wed May 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Did you Pay that A-Hole up front? I sure hope not. I wish people would be more honest and tell you if you can or cannot do something, instead of trying to "figure" it out with yours, and all to try and make a quick buck. Lets see some pics Cool
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Wed May 27, 2009 9:25 pm

Bugman114 wrote:Did you Pay that A-Hole up front? I sure hope not. I wish people would be more honest and tell you if you can or cannot do something, instead of trying to "figure" it out with yours, and all to try and make a quick buck. Lets see some pics Cool

No I did not pay that jerk a dime. I don't have any pictures...but you can easily imagine a blue '68 beetle with a white headliner with (now dried up) yellow adhesive hanging only by the bow rods. There is really nothing to see. Of course I can see the money I paid for the headliner kit flying away. Now I'm looking forward to buying another kit for more than was paid for the ruined kit because it was bought so long ago. But hey it's OK I'll just deal with it and get through it. Cool

-------

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/viewtopic.forum?t=1345

-------

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/viewtopic.forum?t=2083
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40