Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+61
adams77
skunk
BKiller
fried_chicken
garomy
camch
mroberts
70VWKG
Hobug
Heinz57
sploval53
56rag
MellowMidget
Joe
65type2dailydriver
vwgirl
overspray
cavediver520
callahan
71Ghia
GhiaDD
vw57drvr
ShadetreeSHOguy
Cambur
57RTOval
tito
Muffler Bearing
smash
ladybugg
VW Chick
ASBug
vwovalchild
DiggerD
68buggirrl
buggin70
ibjamn
Johnny
ponycar25
peregrine67
DOODLE BUGG
drewBAKER
bakertim2
Goped406
zabo
39coupe
VW12step
71_georgia_beetle
Bugman114
aircooledaddicts
cylops80
bumblebuggy
meinvw
Grifspop
69panel
vwtattooed
Uglybug
Damn-it Don
fluxcap
56HAVOC
rpm750
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
65 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 12 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by Grifspop Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:50 am

ibjamn wrote:
Grifspop wrote:Bent up the replacement brake lines coming out of the master cylinder on the '67. I thought it was going to be a real pain in the ass, but it was easier than I figured. Also, the car hasn't hit the street yet, but I have someone ready to buy it when it does.

Could I check out a few things for reference before you do sell it? pretty please...? Laughing

Sure!! PM me, and I'll shoot you my address
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 12 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by vw57drvr Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:35 pm

I installed a beutiful new tarboard on the firewall in my vert. Half way to BAP, it got hot, peeled loose and covered my fan on my brand new engine. Pretty much cooked it. Still running after a lot of work at a gas station and at BAP, but Im afraid it did damage. I will never use one of thoses again. They arent like originals.
vw57drvr
vw57drvr
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:21 pm

wow tht stinks- where did you get that one?
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:49 pm

vw57drvr wrote:I installed a beutiful new tarboard on the firewall in my vert. Half way to BAP, it got hot, peeled loose and covered my fan on my brand new engine. Pretty much cooked it. Still running after a lot of work at a gas station and at BAP, but Im afraid it did damage. I will never use one of thoses again. They arent like originals.

Naa. i'm sure the motor is fine. did you see bryce's car on friday. motor got so hot, it burned up the starter, lol. if his motor is fine then yours will be, lol.

BRYCE.......i know its will look bad, but just yank that decklid off, lol. i think thats about the only thing thats gonna keep that motor from burning up. or atleast throw some stand offs on it. there was a guy there at BAP selling them cheap. lol
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by GhiaDD Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Today the KG got a new air filter (replacing the stock oil bath), the driver side sun visor got put back in, fuel filter changed and the beginnings of work on the horn (again) with a new relay, new connectors put onto all the wires and one half of a new horn (waiting for the high pitch one to come back into stock). 8 hours of attention from Dave and I. Impressive. Especially when you consider the stinking hangover I had!
GhiaDD
GhiaDD
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by vw57drvr Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:07 pm

Bugman114 wrote:
vw57drvr wrote:I installed a beutiful new tarboard on the firewall in my vert. Half way to BAP, it got hot, peeled loose and covered my fan on my brand new engine. Pretty much cooked it. Still running after a lot of work at a gas station and at BAP, but Im afraid it did damage. I will never use one of thoses again. They arent like originals.

Naa. i'm sure the motor is fine. did you see bryce's car on friday. motor got so hot, it burned up the starter, lol. if his motor is fine then yours will be, lol.

BRYCE.......i know its will look bad, but just yank that decklid off, lol. i think thats about the only thing thats gonna keep that motor from burning up. or atleast throw some stand offs on it. there was a guy there at BAP selling them cheap. lol

I didnt see his. I hope it will be ok, but my plug wires melted, all of my oil poured out at the gas station, and my heads came loose. One of the nuts I could sping off by hand. And to top it off, my damn rings still havent seated.lol.
vw57drvr
vw57drvr
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Holy shit Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thats HOT!!! Bryce didn't melt his wires tho, so i'm not too sure. I say, tear the motor back down, and see if the cylinders got scored up by the massive overheating. if not, then slap it back together (make sure to use some valve lapping compound on the cylinder sealing surfaces on the head, incase it may have warped), crank it with no ignition to get oil pressure, and do a compression test. hopefully all is well.

Was there any knocking? have you re-started it since it overheating? if so any knocking then? What type of motor is this? that new 1600?
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:27 pm

Hey Bugman mike are you going up to BAPS in the morning(Sunday). I came home but going to ride up there in the morning about 9:00am call me if you want to ride up with us
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:37 pm

naa, not goin tomorrow. pretty tired from the past 2 days. plan to put some of the parts i bought there to good use, lol. thanks tho.
-Mike
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by vw57drvr Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:32 am

No, no knocking. I had to tighten the bottom head bolts since thats all I can get to while Im here at BAP. It seems to be running ok considering, but Im afraid of what has been done. I can understand all of the expansion due to heat, but why didnt it shrink back is the question. Heads were LOOSE.
vw57drvr
vw57drvr
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:14 pm

vw57drvr wrote:No, no knocking. I had to tighten the bottom head bolts since thats all I can get to while Im here at BAP. It seems to be running ok considering, but Im afraid of what has been done. I can understand all of the expansion due to heat, but why didnt it shrink back is the question. Heads were LOOSE.

Wow man, sorry to hear all that. I saw you pulling in yesterday morning and the car looked great. Hopefully you can get it squared away.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:31 pm

Drove home from BAP looking at the back of three other Bugs. No Worries for us. I hope that new motor is OK. I had something similar happen but that won't help your motor any.

Mike - Bryce didn't burn up the starter, the engine was real hot and the starter wouldn't turn it over. It cooled off and it started right up.
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:36 pm

The car ran good on the way home (slow but good).....the cooler temperatures plus opening the lid a little more helped a lot...
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:44 pm

awsome. glad to hear the motor was fine. also, i noticed that on the way up it was pretty much all up hill, but the way back was pretty much all down hill, so i'm sure that helped a little as well. Also each way i went, i filled the tank, and i noticed, that on the way up both times, i had to fill the tank a little over 8 gallons. and on the way back home, i had to put about 6 gallons in the tank. so i'm guessing since the majority of the trip back was down hill , that helped with gas mileage a little.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:47 pm

I ran cooler on the way home as well. Idled real good after getting off the interstate. But.....when we left BAP, my oil level was dead in the center of the two lines. I let the car cool for about an hour after we got home and then checked the oil again. Now the oil level is at the top line. Didn't really smell like gas, but I can't think of anything else that would have made the level rise. Guess I'll drain the oil and pull/inspect the fuel pump this week.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:56 pm

it could also be that messed up carb. if its running too rich, over the course of 140ish miles, it may just be washing past the rings, and getting in the oil that way. but i'd still check the pump. i've always had good luck with brosol pumps. i've never had one go bad on me before.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by peregrine67 Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:36 pm

I got a 50% coupon from the fabric store so I bought 8 yards of yellow canvas for less than $40. So today I made a pattern out of the old canvas and got to work making my new pop-top canvas.
peregrine67
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1343
Registration date : 2010-01-27

http://freephilosophicaldiscussions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:26 pm

I just installed a new (to me) set of door handles with keys on my 72 super (bob, YOUR THE MAN!!!, thanks Very Happy ), so i'm finally able to lock the doors. the car never came with a set of keys for the doors, just the ignition (po never had keys with car, so he replaced the ignition only). so i haven't been able to lock the doors, untill now. No more going into a big store and wondering if the car was still gonna be there, and with all the contents intact, lol. Laughing
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by VW12step Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:37 pm

Began putting some of the stuff I got at BAP yesterday to good use. Did the beading on the front fenders...it sucked, but it is on and even. There's probably an easy way to do it listed on here or the samba, but 2 hours later I had them done and the wiring for the lights in place. Hope to get to the back ones this week now that I know wtf I'm doing...

Went through some stuff I had in a big box and discovered I had pop-outs that I thought someone at the old shop ran off with. Score! cheers
VW12step
VW12step
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:32 pm

sweet. can the lady you order from get all the hardware, and gaskets, and seals, etc for them? if so then i'll prolly need a set as well. my set pretty much needs everything. glass and latches, seem fine, i think the knobs are ready to crumble off tho.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by VW12step Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:11 pm

Bugman114 wrote:sweet. can the lady you order from get all the hardware, and gaskets, and seals, etc for them? if so then i'll prolly need a set as well. my set pretty much needs everything. glass and latches, seem fine, i think the knobs are ready to crumble off tho.

I'll check with her, but I don't think she does. Cheapest replacement latches I've found so far are 55 bucks...ouch!
VW12step
VW12step
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Drove the Westy to work today.
Got on the interstate (10 miles)and was able to cruise at 65 going uphill - NOT FLOORED.
I checked the Dipstick and cool as a cucumber.
Trannie likes to pop out of 2nd, and I have one headlight that is stuck on lowbeams, but other than that the yella sub is great.
I was parked out with the RV's at BAP with the tent. (3 small kids that need quiet time to sleep....)
Lotsa fun.
Good meeting some of you at BAP.
KC
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:16 pm

It was great meeting you to. I got to put alot of faces to names over the weekend and I meet alot of kool people. This thing we got here in Georgia is truly a family and just like every family there's ups & downs but we always manage to come together and respect an fellowship as one unit. Thanks for being true Brothers in this VW thing.
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Drove the bus up to Greensboro NC for a Bus gathering last wensday, maybe 100-150 buses camping. Had a blast! Ended up picking up a core engine to build, hella fog lights, bus bra, clamps, master cylinde and rotors for the gon, and a few other odds and ends. Made it back last night and had trouble starting it. Ended up having to swap out the alt in the 73, what a pita!!! Got that done and got this here. Finished up just in time to pull the bus away and unload this from the rollback. Washed it for the first time in maybe 10 years, and still needs a lot more cleanning! But its a start, this was the ghia on craigslist last week. guess i know what I am doing tommorow! Laughing

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 12 72ghia013

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 12 72ghia011

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 12 72ghia014

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 12 72ghia010
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by peregrine67 Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:40 pm

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 12 Sewing
Got to work cutting up the upper mattress fabric to make new seat covers.
peregrine67
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1343
Registration date : 2010-01-27

http://freephilosophicaldiscussions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next