Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tire caused an out of alignment feel

+2
Bugman114
71_georgia_beetle
6 posters

Go down

Tire caused an out of alignment feel Empty Tire caused an out of alignment feel

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Tue May 12, 2009 10:26 pm

About 2 weeks ago I started having a nasty pull to the left in the bus. I just knew it had to be alignment. As a week progressed the pull became worst, as in, it would make it's own left hand turn. I had planned to have it looked at after the poker run but it kind of solved itself on the way home from the run. At 70 mph on 985 the tread finally let loose. I made it to the side of the road and put on the spare. As soon as I got on the road something was different.........what was it...........then it donged on me! I'm not having to keep pressure on the wheel to the right. When I let go it ran straight and true. When I got home I inspected the tire more and found that a 12" section of the tire had a massive twist and was actually hanging over the rim by an inch and a half.

Moral of the story............a car pulling to one side or the other can be against conventional wisdom and actually be a tire with a separating thread.

Tire caused an out of alignment feel DSC_1087%20(Medium)

Tire caused an out of alignment feel DSC_1088%20(Medium)
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Tire caused an out of alignment feel Empty Re: Tire caused an out of alignment feel

Post by Bugman114 Tue May 12, 2009 11:37 pm

Damn Shocked . Thats one hell of a lesson learned, lol Laughing
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Tire caused an out of alignment feel Empty Re: Tire caused an out of alignment feel

Post by DiggerD Wed May 13, 2009 12:08 am

Damn thats ugly, glad it didn't cause you to lose it and crash! Shocked

I think an full inspection of all tires is in order for me to do tomorrow!! Wink
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Wed May 13, 2009 10:00 am

DiggerD wrote:Damn thats ugly, glad it didn't cause you to lose it and crash! Shocked

I think an full inspection of all tires is in order for me to do tomorrow!! Wink
I did the inspection on mine and found another on the rear that is starting to warp. These are 2 year old passenger Cooper tires in the wrong 205 75/14 size. The cracked to hell, Michelin, 185r14, Made in Germany, 35 year old spare got us home. I have 5 185/R-14 Continental Vanco 2 D on the way from Tire Rack.
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Wed May 13, 2009 12:12 pm

You've been driving on a 35 year old tire?!?!? Shocked Shocked Shocked . Holy crap Shocked Shocked Shocked
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Wed May 13, 2009 3:19 pm

Bugman114 wrote:You've been driving on a 35 year old tire?!?!? Shocked Shocked Shocked . Holy crap Shocked Shocked Shocked
Only 10 miles home and parked her. On a side note, I ordered those tires from Tire Rack yesterday and they are schedule and on time for delivery tomorrow! Damn.
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Thu May 14, 2009 11:48 am

oh, lol. i thought you ment you've been driving like that, lol. and i thought i was crazy, hahaha Laughing
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by 59suicide Thu May 14, 2009 1:07 pm

hes definataly not crazy... just a dub owner Laughing
59suicide
59suicide
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Thu May 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Bugman114 wrote:oh, lol. i thought you ment you've been driving like that, lol. and i thought i was crazy, hahaha Laughing

When this man says it's crazy...you know it's insane!
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Thu May 14, 2009 10:08 pm

Got the (Tyres) in today and they are awesome. Mount and balance tomorrow. The humor on the tires are: Spelled "Tyres" & "Designed in German" but "made in Brazil".

$420 bucks for 5 tires, delivered
$13.99 per Tyre mounted and balanced $69.95

$489.95 for 5 tires delivered, mounted and balanced.

Safety.............priceless.
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Clyde Fri May 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Since when does anything "dong" on you?

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Clyde
Clyde
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-07-23

http://athensvwclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Mon May 18, 2009 2:32 pm

The tires have been on a few days and a hundred miles or so and DAMN! what a difference. It handles better, turning is easier, wind drift has been cut down tremendously and I'm not in the gas as much. I think this is due to two things. 1, since I had treads separating and pulling the bus to one side, it no longer has that opposing force. 2, the tires stand taller, meaning, they don't have that squat or bulge out at the bottom the way the passenger tires did and I believe this has reduced the contact resistance with the road. Overall, the safety alone was worth it but the awesome price, new feel and potential savings at the pump are a nice bonus as well.
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down