Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for you camping enthusiasts - (coolers)

+5
sploval53
Muffler Bearing
type4revolution
Hobug
ultralite
9 posters

Go down

Question for you camping enthusiasts - (coolers) Empty Question for you camping enthusiasts - (coolers)

Post by ultralite Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:24 pm

On our most recent trip to the panhandle, about 2 weeks ago, we ran through ice like nobody's business. Temps only got to 75. But the humidity was high. We used brand new coolers; 2 so we could keep the less frequently used food closed up. But it didn't really matter, both needed refilling every day.

Thought I'd try asking some campers from around here who have to deal with humidity.

Anyone go the 12v cooler route? Dry ice?

What's worked best for you?

ultralite
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2012-10-30

Back to top Go down

Question for you camping enthusiasts - (coolers) Empty Re: Question for you camping enthusiasts - (coolers)

Post by Hobug Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:45 pm

I bought a Coleman Extreme cooler and use it for food so it is opened less often. Drinks go in another cooler. The Extreme will keep ice for 5+ days.
Hobug
Hobug
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1326
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.athensvwclub.com

Back to top Go down

Question for you camping enthusiasts - (coolers) Empty cooler

Post by type4revolution Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Yeti cooler or trucker cooler
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

Question for you camping enthusiasts - (coolers) Empty Re: Question for you camping enthusiasts - (coolers)

Post by type4revolution Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:38 pm

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_category.php?id=336&parent_id=
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffler Bearing Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:43 pm

I camp a decent amount and I just use an ordinary cooler and keep it closed as much as possible. I use a small clear tote on top of the ice to put all food in. Or sell the bus so you can buy the above.
Muffler Bearing
Muffler Bearing
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by sploval53 Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:58 pm

Go with a yeti its worth all the money
sploval53
sploval53
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ultralite Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Thanks everyone.

ultralite
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2012-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by sdmjam Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:25 pm

Rather than buying bags of ice, keep a couple of gallon milk jugs full of water in your freezer. (I keep both 1/2 and 1 gallon plastic jugs) Use a couple in your cooler to augment any bagged ice you buy. It takes a LOT longer for it to thaw.
sdmjam
sdmjam
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:41 pm

There's also a some other good tricks I've found on the web about how to make your ice last longer such as:

-pre-cool your cooler overnight before loading it. Use a few frozen milk jugs to cool the insulation before-hand to bring it down to a lower temperature so it doesn't have to work so hard when you fill it.

-don't leave empty space. The air that occupies all that unused space kills your cooling efficiency.

I need to try these myself. We were going through a ton of ice on our trip to PCB and the ice at the camp store was stupid expensive!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffler Bearing Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:35 pm

Pre chilling makes sense I have to preheat mine for making beer to keep the mash temp up.
Muffler Bearing
Muffler Bearing
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Question for you camping enthusiasts - (coolers) Empty Dry ice works well too...

Post by Blake412 Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Sorry for the late post (I'm a Noob), but I used dry ice camping in the bus last year, and it has worked extremely well. Widely available (I got mine at Publix), it keeps things almost *too* cold, affordable, and no water to deal with afterwards (the best part).  Surprised 
Blake412
Blake412
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:51 pm

go to just about any truck stop (loves, TA, Flying J, or Pilot.  I've been told wal-marts have them in the camping section, but not sure), and they sell Coleman iceless coolers.  basically a 12V minifridge.  I had two of them when I drove semi's.  they work great, keep all your drinks/ food cold.  They use a thermoelectric peltier junction cooler.  and they will keep whatever is inside about 40 degrees colder then the outside temp.  and it runs off a standard 12V outlet.  costs about $99 - $129 (they are on sale sometimes).  They are surprisingly durable.  the fans started making noises, almost like the bearings went bad, but they did that after like two days of having them, but has still worked ever since then, and I was over the road, so they would stay on 24 hours a day for 4 weeks straight.  I've had them for over a year, and still working fine.  the ONLY problem I've had, was one of the 12V plug ends got too hot, and melted.  I replaced it with a heavy duty one, and it doesn't even get hot anymore.  the other one is still fine tho.  

They also have smaller ones available.  its big enough for maybe two sixpacks.  good for some drinks, but not a whole lot else.  basically a small cooler, but it has the same peltier you plug into the 12V outlet, and keeps everything inside cold.  I forget how much it costs.

They also sell one that has a glass door.  it sucks, and is not worth the money.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down