Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!!

2 posters

Go down

The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!! Empty The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!!

Post by Tybomb Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:29 pm

After much searching the net and contacting various VW and local auto supply companies, to no avail, I had a brain f--t and decided to make my own circlip. That's the little metal clip you put on the brake cable between the brake backing plate hole and the spring on the cable. I've taken photos below of what I did. I used a brake spring cup, which already has a cut grove in it for the pin to hold on the brake shoes. I cut it, about 1/8”, on one side in line with the slot, and opened it up a bit to fit over the cable. I then crimped it closed. It fit perfectly into the backing plate hole for the cable.

Be sure to coat the clip with grease or some RTV to slow down rust.

I tried the parking brake various times and the clip seems to be holding.

The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!! REARBRAKESPRINGCUPS-WITHCUTOUTGROVE-P2141195

The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!! USINGCUTBLADEONSPRINGCUP-P2141210

The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!! SPRINGCUPOVERCABLEBEFORECRIMPING-P2141200

The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!! SPRINGCUPCUTOUTPLACEDOVERPARKINGBRAKECABLEANDSPRING-P2141198

The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!! SPRINGCUPOVERCABLECRIMPED-P2141201

The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!! SPRINGCUPOVERCABLEINPLACEBETWEENBACKPLATEANDSPRING-P2141205

The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!! P2141206-2

The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!! P2141204-2
Tybomb
Tybomb
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-01-13

http://www.petessinkhers.com

Back to top Go down

The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!! Empty Re: The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!!

Post by shaky Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Awesome fix, I also have a 71.
shaky
shaky
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2009-09-24

Back to top Go down

The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!! Empty Re: The Mystical little circlip for the e-brake line-71 bus!!

Post by Tybomb Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Thank you. Couldn't find the clip that actually is supposed to go there. I may start making them like this for sale!!

My Max - 71 Bus is almost ready to go to my b-in-law in Newnan for new front floor welding, and then to the paint shop.

You got some photos of your 71 bus?

Be safe and keep the black side down!!
Tybomb
Tybomb
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-01-13

http://www.petessinkhers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shaky Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Under 70"s vw HULAWGN now with 101.4 RWHP It can pass other cars when the need arises
shaky
shaky
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2009-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down