Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Probably a stupid question...

5 posters

Go down

Probably a stupid question... Empty Probably a stupid question...

Post by fifty9singlecab Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:12 pm

I'm fairly new to the slammed vw world as my '65 beetle is slammed. I've had Mazda's slammed and S-10's and Impala's etc, etc, etc. But this is my first beetle. My car just doesn't drive good. I know with the narrowed front its not gonna steer great but at times it feels like it darts from the rear like it wants to turn from the rear. It's scary going around curves because it feels like it wants to swap ends. The camber is out and its been lowered 2 clicks. I'm looking into some extended and notched spring plates to see if this will correct some of my problems. As far as the front goes it's not bad at all about bobbing/bump steering. It's just the rear. Just wondering if this is normal for it being slammed. I won't even mention how bad it is in the rain...

fifty9singlecab
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2011-09-16

Back to top Go down

Probably a stupid question... Empty Re: Probably a stupid question...

Post by aircooledaddicts Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Have you checked your tire pressure? Mine was like that at one point and when I checked my tires the rear was very low. Put the correct pressure in and everything was great again.
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by callahan Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:26 pm

caster shims will help lots of problems in the front end. but from my experience i don't know of much you can do for the rear other than keep good tread on your tires lol.

not sure about extended spring plates been curious about that myself. i know mike has some maybe he'll chime in
callahan
callahan
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1271
Registration date : 2010-02-06

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1030359664

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:58 pm

I drove a 66 that was very low and it scared the hell out of me in the rain. I think it has to do with throwing the toe setting on the rear. With the car lowered a lot in the rear, the toe will increase drastically. The extended length trailing arms will correct this. As the car loses traction on one or the other tire, the one with traction then grabs the road and darts in the direction of the excessive toe in. The combination of toe in and negative camber will cause a tire to pull in the direction of lean and will wear a tire out in a hurry.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:23 pm

So when are we going to start using these for our Type1's? I need longer spring plates and I'd roll some of these and turn my rear torsions back to the stock setting.
Probably a stupid question... 4053247
These are Type 3 but ones are made for Type1's also.
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down