Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear Suspension Help

5 posters

Go down

Rear Suspension Help Empty Rear Suspension Help

Post by VW12step Thu May 13, 2010 11:40 am

If anyone is going to be, or can be in the Riverdale area this weekend I could use some help getting the bushings on the rear of my Super. (The guy I PAID for this is nowhere to be found...oh well, a chance to learn a little more!)

I'll spring for cheap lunch and a couple of bottles of cold beverages, but have to be kinda cheap as half of the family is currently unemployed. Crying or Very sad

Any help will be greatly appreciated...I WANNA DRIVE THIS DAMN THING! Very Happy

Last edited by VW12step on Thu May 13, 2010 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
VW12step
VW12step
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Rear Suspension Help Empty Re: Rear Suspension Help

Post by bumblebuggy Thu May 13, 2010 2:40 pm

Which bushings?
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921

Back to top Go down

Post by VW12step Thu May 13, 2010 3:31 pm

bumblebuggy wrote:Which bushings?

Rear Suspension Help 0312vwt_71super_pl

These. Torsion bushings?
VW12step
VW12step
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu May 13, 2010 4:09 pm

I won't be around to help you Gordon, but I'll give you a virtual tip I learned from the Samba that helped me when I did mine. When I replaced the rubber bushings, the new bushings were very hard and didn't give at all. I could not squish the rubber enough to get the metal cap close enough to the housing to get the cap bolts started.

Tip from the samba was to go to the hardware store and get 3 or 4 bolts that were the same size/thread pitch as the stock bolts, but get them about 20-30mm longer. Use these longer bolts to get the retaining cap on and tight. Then remove each of the longer bolts one at a time, and replace them with the stock bolts.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by vw57drvr Thu May 13, 2010 4:39 pm

And, use plenty of baby powder on the bushings. Keeps them from squeaking.
vw57drvr
vw57drvr
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by VW12step Thu May 13, 2010 6:41 pm

fluxcap wrote:Tip from the samba was to go to the hardware store and get 3 or 4 bolts that were the same size/thread pitch as the stock bolts, but get them about 20-30mm longer. Use these longer bolts to get the retaining cap on and tight. Then remove each of the longer bolts one at a time, and replace them with the stock bolts.

Do you still have those bolts? I'll be in Newnan tomorrow if I could borrow them and save a trip to Home Depot. (assuming they are the same size...)

Thanks for the tips!
VW12step
VW12step
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu May 13, 2010 7:42 pm

How late will you be in Newnan? Working up in Atlanta, I usually don't get home until around 5:20 or so.

I did just go out and find them though. The 4 I have are M10x1.5 and are 45mm in length. You are welcome to use them though if you need them.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Thu May 13, 2010 10:47 pm

I've replaced those bushings a few times. and from what i've learned, if you have the urethane bushings with the nubs, you usually have to trim them a little bit with a knife, if you are using origional covers. if you are using aftermarket covers, us will usually have to just cut the nubs off altogether. now if you have the smoothe urethane bushings with out the nubs, then they should go on with no problems at all.

exactly which day do you plan on working on it? friday, saturday, or sunday? I'm off tomorrow, and may be able to come by and give ya a hand, but it would be later in the day tho, about 4-6ish. let me know if that works for ya.
-Mike
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by VW12step Fri May 14, 2010 5:10 am

Eric, thanks for checking, I'll be headed for home before then. If things don't work out with getting them done this weekend I may use those next week.

Mike, I'll give you a call later today.

Thanks guys!
VW12step
VW12step
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down