Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with replacing front wheel bearings

3 posters

Go down

Help with replacing front wheel bearings Empty Help with replacing front wheel bearings

Post by surewriting Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:12 am

I am absolutely at wits end with trying to replace my front wheel bearings and disc and calipers. Ive got a '65 baja'd beetle with a link-pin beam, and a quite a bit of rust. I got a whole new disc brake kit (new discs, calipers, bearings, and mounting plates and bolts), and after months of it sitting in my garage due to being too busy with work and school, I finally get around to trying to replace everything. I get all the old stuff off- hammer out the old bearing races out of the old disc, and put those aside with the old bearings, and find that the new bearings (at least the inside one- the one that is closest to the car) is too small of a diameter to make it all the way up the spindle, but fits into the new disc snugly. The old bearings fit onto the spindle, but are too small for the new disc. Im not really sure what type of bearings I need, and where to go about getting them. Also, the new plates to mount the calipers to dont match up to the bolt holes. Its a little frustrating, but I suppose you get what you pay for.

Can anybody help me out? I would greatly appreciate any kind of help.

surewriting
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Help with replacing front wheel bearings Empty Re: Help with replacing front wheel bearings

Post by bumblebuggy Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:03 am

Sounds like you have the wrong kit for the car. I would call the place you purchased the kit and confirm they sent you the correct kit. The bearings could probably be worked out but the brackets to mount he calipers isn't going to fly.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Help with replacing front wheel bearings Empty Re: Help with replacing front wheel bearings

Post by Grifspop Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:22 am

I wonder if you've got a kit for a balljoint bug
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by surewriting Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:51 am

http://www.mooreparts.com/store/product/4611/AC407090*/

This is the kit I ordered- I even emailed them before buying to make sure it was for the link pin beam, and they assured me it was. Is there a difference in it being for a kingpin beam? I was under the impression that there was only link-and-kingpin beams, balljoint, and the superbeetle mcpherson struts. At any rate, Im shooting off an email. With any luck they might be able to sort things out.

Thanks for the suggestions!

surewriting
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down