Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lowered Trailer

+10
Uglybug
DiscoSquirrel
Goped406
EngineerTEN
meinvw
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
fluxcap
bakertim2
Bugman114
rpm750
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lowered Trailer Empty Lowered Trailer

Post by rpm750 Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:35 pm

Ok, I'm looking for a camper of sorts to pull behind my bug. Well I ran across this.

No the Bug will not pull this but what a cool twist.

Might build one of these.....

Lowered Trailer 089414.1-lg

Well it does have a Bug shape.......kind of. Suspect
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Lowered Trailer Empty Re: Lowered Trailer

Post by Bugman114 Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:54 pm

rpm750 wrote:
Lowered Trailer 089414.1-lg

Well it does have a Bug shape.......kind of. Suspect

Kind of fat-chick'ish. how the front comes down, then back in, like the front of a super:
Lowered Trailer 0704_cae_02z+1973_vw_super_beetle+front_view

notice the front of the trailer, and the super.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:01 pm

Bob, I've been toying with the idea of building one of those tear drop trailers for sometime now. I found a small trailer at Harbor Frieght for a reasonable price that could be used for a foundation.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:15 pm

i wonder how well a bug will tow a small pop up. i got a buddy of mine who is selling one, but not sure how it will tow. gotta get a hitch first, and test drive it just to see if it will be fine. tryin to get ready for BAP, lol.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:07 pm

Last year when we went to Bugapaluza our bug was draggin the road. I need a trailer to haul the gear in so why not go this route.
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:11 pm

I would love one of these. Found this page a while back while surfing around for plans. Lots of scans from old 30's and 40's magazines with crude plans for building teardrops. Not really the best plans to go by, but the pictures are very helpful.
http://www.tinytears.cc/scans.html
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:29 pm

there is a forum, about people who build and restore small travel trailers. most of them, do infact use the cheap harbor freight trailers, as a base, and build on top. they end up with some really nice trailers. if i find the link, i'll post it.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:11 am

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/index.php
This is a forum I joined.

Here is what I'd like to build....
I plan on something like this only lighter... Loose the ragtop and most of the windows. Maybe even put a poptop on the roof.
Lowered Trailer 91318
Lowered Trailer 91315

I'm hoping to use a wood frame with fiberglass over that insulated and then finished on the inside. Use the rear door as the galley and room enough for a queen air mattress inside. Really cool, hope I could get it done before Bugapaluza!
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:26 am

Big plans! If you need any help let me know. So I am guessing Pikabuoy "Popo" wont be going to the paluza
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988
Registration date : 2008-07-20

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:48 pm

Wow, what timming. I could not sleep last night and looked at pics and plans from 1am to 4am about teardrops. Looking at using a trailer I have now to convert. had made it into a pop-up a few years ago and it still works but time to replace the wood so figured I would go ahead and try a bigger one. If anybody gets started on one post some pics or where you got your plans from. More than likely i will wing it vs buying plans but only time will tell.

Here is the one from before, welded brackets on it to use bus jacks as levelers, had led lighting, used a bug headlight switch and fuse panel, stereo. The top is removeable using a pin/rod combo and the side canvas uses velcro so it can be rolled up. Worked pretty good but a fully enclosed would be better.

Lowered Trailer Fotmallaround109

Lowered Trailer Fotmallaround110

Lowered Trailer Fotmallaround111

Lowered Trailer Fotmallaround131
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:03 pm

Jerome you were the first person I thought about when I saw these things. I've come up with some concepts.....

The Tintop
Lowered Trailer TrailerTintop

The Poptop
Lowered Trailer TrailerPoptop

The Tilttop
Lowered Trailer TrailerTilttop

The Galley would be in the back behind the hatch. This trailer is cut down below the band in the middle. The canvas tops would give better head room. I'm worried about weight. My thoughts are on construction more so than design. I found a teardrop trailer site that is all about design and construction. Most of the teardrops are made using plywood, aluminum, and or plastic sheets. I want to use a skeleton frame(Wood) with fiberglass on the outside. Kind of like the guys that make the speaker cabinets. (Remy, Unique Whips) Making molds would be a good way to go also.
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:19 pm

rpm750 wrote:Jerome you were the first person I thought about when I saw these things. I've come up with some concepts.....

The Galley would be in the back behind the hatch. This trailer is cut down below the band in the middle. The canvas tops would give better head room. I'm worried about weight. My thoughts are on construction more so than design. I found a teardrop trailer site that is all about design and construction. Most of the teardrops are made using plywood, aluminum, and or plastic sheets. I want to use a skeleton frame(Wood) with fiberglass on the outside. Kind of like the guys that make the speaker cabinets. (Remy, Unique Whips) Making molds would be a good way to go also.
Weight is a big issue, trying to figure that one out myself. Love to use the aluminum all around but the coswt would be waaaay out there. Did think about using a bus nose sectioned into a standard tear drop but the weight and metal work again would be more than buying a pre-made.
I am looking to make one to pull behind the DC so already have more weight and a smaller engine than you do. I am leanning towards using shower board for the exterior on a 1x1 frame. If the project I want does not come thru in the next few days going to pull the trailer in the garage and start with the conversion. Have some plans on paper just need to pull the trailer in and see what will work.

If you go with your pop-top let me know, will not have a use for my fiber top anymore and should be close to your design if needed. Its a later top shortened by about 8" to fit the trailer.
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:19 pm

I've been over on youtube trying to learn how to make molds for fiberglass. If you have a good mold it is really and easy process. I wonder if MDF will work then paint that finish it off really good, wax it for a release and then gelcoat and build layers of fiber. I could prolly make one side mold, one end and then the top section. As I glass the parts install the wood ribbing to give it strength, kind of the way they make boats. Inside out. Gelcoat maybe a waste, just glass it, sand and paint. I think this would save a good bit of weight, I'm thinking some where around 500lbs static weight when finished. Most of that is the frame and suspension. Interesting process that is for sure.
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by EngineerTEN Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:30 pm

rpm750 wrote:Jerome you were the first person I thought about when I saw these things. I've come up with some concepts.....

The Tintop
Lowered Trailer TrailerTintop

The Poptop
Lowered Trailer TrailerPoptop

The Tilttop
Lowered Trailer TrailerTilttop

I like the trailer. If you move the wheel more to the center and construct it so that it is balanced front to back, it will put very little weight on the rear of the car since the fulcrum (wheels) will bear most of the weight. Then you need to consider your engine for up-hill driving and breaks for down-hill driving. That depends on how much it weighs and how it is loaded.
EngineerTEN
EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:06 pm

rpm750 wrote:I've been over on youtube trying to learn how to make molds for fiberglass. If you have a good mold it is really and easy process. I wonder if MDF will work then paint that finish it off really good, wax it for a release and then gelcoat and build layers of fiber. I could prolly make one side mold, one end and then the top section. As I glass the parts install the wood ribbing to give it strength, kind of the way they make boats. Inside out. Gelcoat maybe a waste, just glass it, sand and paint. I think this would save a good bit of weight, I'm thinking some where around 500lbs static weight when finished. Most of that is the frame and suspension. Interesting process that is for sure.

I might be mistaken on this, but when your building up that way with fiberglass you end up with more weight than if you used aluminum or another material. Like a boat, pick up a metal canoe and a fiberglass one, the glass one weighs more but is easier to shape and gives a bit under stress. Guy e-mailed me about the project car I was wanting, might have missed it, if so might buy the supplies and start on the trailer next week. So I can be the guinea pig and you guys can learn from my mistakes!! Laughing
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:50 pm

I hear ya Jerome but I'm only putting 3 layers over the foam on the outside and maybe a heavy layer of mat on the inside. I saw a video that used 3 layers of fabric, 10oz, 10oz and a 4oz. The 4oz has a tighter weave and it will be easier to work out later. The inside will be covered so it will be mat not fabric. Also looked at the foam today and I think only a few MDF ribs will be needed. MDF around or close to the door frame for attachment and added strength. Also the back wall between the cabin and the galley will help keep it from moving left and right. I think I'll stay with the Tintop for now, the next one may be a bit more adventurous. I built about three of these in my Sleep last night. Got up this morning thinking it would be in the garage! No luck, can't wait to go back to sleep!

Here's what I plan on doing to make one side.
1. Find a Bus and make side, end and roof profiles.
2. Make two patterns of the profile. This will be used to cut the foam sections.
3. Make a Foam heat knife.
4. Cut the Foam in 6" strips. Will make two profiles.
5. Glue the profiles together. Alignment, I still have not figured out. A gig maybe?
6. cover with glass.

I think making the sections and then bolting them together will be the way to go on the assembly. I need to make the corners by them selves they will be complex to construct. May just glue the foam together and then carve those bad boys! I'll have to sleep tonight to figure out the attachment method!

Ok my head is smoking.
Later
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Goped406 Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:44 pm

dont forget to post pics of the progress when you start bounce sounds pretty cool
Goped406
Goped406
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoSquirrel Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:47 am

I will be keeping an eye on this one!!
DiscoSquirrel
DiscoSquirrel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:10 pm

Does anyone know what the safe towing weight of a bug is? or has anyone ever towed a pop up with a bug before? it uses aluminum correguated siding. it has like zero tounge weight, lol. i can lift it up with like one finger. it weighs 1000-1200 lbs loaded. the wheels are very close to the middle of the trailer, thus the reason for the very low tounge weight. Thanks
-Mike
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Lowered Trailer Empty lowered trailer

Post by Uglybug Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:25 am

years ago i attached a ball to my bumper cage on 68 baja with a 1679 and pulled a 64 baja from austell to dallas ,probably wasn't the safest thing to do but worked fine.
Uglybug
Uglybug
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by inkaddict13 Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:53 pm

i think the trailer idea would work better if you used two axles on the trailer instead of one...or you could get really crazy and use a pan from a bug as your base and tow it with the tow bar you can install a gravity brake on the tongue of the trailer like what u-haul uses and you can utilize the OG brake system of the pan.......just my 2cents Twisted Evil
inkaddict13
inkaddict13
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:02 am

Bad thing with 2 axles is thats a lot of weight. Looks like mine is on hold for a bit, sold the truck and getting my old westy back so no need for a pull behind camper for awhile. Still need to replace the wood on it, so might play with it a bit when I do.
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:50 am

well, if i ever get a trailer to tow behind my bug, i will prolly just throw the turbo set-up back on my motor. Lots more torque, will really help out with climbing those hills. Normally with a stock motor, when i'm loaded down (me and 4 other people), the car just won't take hills without slowing down drastically, but when i had the turbo, you could bearly even feel the other people in the car........except when it came to stopping, Laughing . drum brakes SUCK. i would NOT recommend towing anything with drum brakes. they work good at first (assuming they are adjusted properly), but they heat up VERY FAST, so much so, that i had to stop to let them cool down Shocked
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:27 pm

i really like this one - http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/rvs/1571922391.html

Lowered Trailer 3md3o73l75O25T75P7a1qacd354e86e511e7e
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:43 pm

That's one bad azz trailer. Going to give them a call and see if the $2500 is in stone. I hope not
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next