Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1987 Cabriolet CIS adjustment knowledge.

3 posters

Go down

1987 Cabriolet CIS adjustment knowledge. Empty 1987 Cabriolet CIS adjustment knowledge.

Post by ridikas Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:35 pm

Hey Dubbers we have another 87 cabby at Bugs4Christ that has some issues with the CIS system, I have the bentley manual and i'm still having issues where to start the adjustments. Have any of you guys had any luck with this system? From what we have been told the plunger is stuck, we drained the oil and the oil is filled with gasoline. We also suspec that the head gasket is gone due to the white smoke pouring out of the tailpipe.
ridikas
ridikas
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2013-04-13

Back to top Go down

1987 Cabriolet CIS adjustment knowledge. Empty Re: 1987 Cabriolet CIS adjustment knowledge.

Post by type4revolution Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:43 am

If plunger is stuck take it out and soak it till its free. Factory set very difficult to adjust and set item best to leave It be and get it unstuck. The parts place is a great source for parts and trouble shooting tips on this car. Good luck CIS is a fun animal
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

1987 Cabriolet CIS adjustment knowledge. Empty Re: 1987 Cabriolet CIS adjustment knowledge.

Post by ASBug Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:03 am

Been there done that. T4R is right. They are REALLY finicky. I cannot remember the size but buy a set of LONG metric allen wrenches for adjusting the system. I bought a long handle (read 4+ inches long) set from Autozone with a ball seat on one side. Still have them in the tool box. The size you need is one of the teeny tiny ones.
I did get my 82 Wabbit vert running well, but it was a pain. Mine only had 1 fuel pump. I think the 87 has 2. You will need both of them working or you will never make full power out of the 1.8 or 1.7 that you have in it.
I have some sweet wheels in the shed for a Mk 1... need to get another one.
Get a bently - said all the time, but it was really a life saver with that CIS system.
There is also a very good write up on the internet about the old BMW set ups that used a bosch CIS system. different but the same if you get my drift - welcome to the 6 months of hell where you get to do all the maintenance that has not been done to the car in the past decade.
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:05 am

Oh yeah, all the seals on those nifty injectors will need to be replaced, there is a sweet little tool I borrowed to cantilever them out of the holes. worth the $5 if you have to buy it.
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:44 am

Your right the one in the tank is most likely to fail. Esp if po's lack of run a 1/4 or better all its life and then theres letting fuel rotten fuel sit in the system.
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down