Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

type 1 vs type 3 brake drums (and now Thing drums added to page 4)

+4
bumblebuggy
type4revolution
Grifspop
fluxcap
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

type 1 vs type 3 brake drums (and now Thing drums added to page 4) - Page 3 Empty Re: type 1 vs type 3 brake drums (and now Thing drums added to page 4)

Post by type4revolution Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:51 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1496306 also sells type 3 setups.
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

type 1 vs type 3 brake drums (and now Thing drums added to page 4) - Page 3 Empty Re: type 1 vs type 3 brake drums (and now Thing drums added to page 4)

Post by fluxcap Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:10 am

Yeah, I've been looking at both the thing and type 3 kits they sell.  If I go the thing drum route, I think all I'll need are the drums, the rest of what is already on the bus should work just fine with those drums.   Didn't get a chance to try again at the test fitting of the type3 drums this weekend.  Lots of work stuff got in the way, and I'm lazy, lol.  Maybe next weekend.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks to the Bugs4Christ guys lending me a Thing drum, I'm now adding Type181 drums to this equation.  I did a test fit with a thing drum today on my passenger side.  It was EXTREMELY tight getting the wheel mounted and involved me put putting a length of pipe over the castle nut and sitting on this pipe to force the axle/springplate as I wiggled and fought to get the wheel onto the drum.  In the end I was very sweaty, but I was successful!  Would not like to do it on the side of the road, but if need be, it can be done.  Down the road, I'll change to 185/75 size tires which should help a little also.

The thing drum sticks out a lot further than the 4 lug bug drum with 3/8" wide five adapter.  Which is great cause it gave the tire a lot more springplate clearance as seen in the picture below.  I forgot to take a side by side comparison of the 4 lug with 3/8" adapter versus the Thing drum, but I did get a pic of the Thing drum vs. the wide5 Type 3 drum.  When sitting them both on spray can caps to simulate them on the outer bearing, the Thing drum stuck out 11/16" more than the type 3 drum.  I'm guessing the difference between the bug/adapter drum and the thing drum is probably around 1/2".   Before I fork over the money for a set of these drums, I'm going to do a test fit on the drivers side, just to make sure that side works as well (don't want any suprises), and I'll get the exact measurement then of all three drums in a row. (hopefully in a day or so).

Thing drum barely visible on left with a straight edge layed on top, type 3 wide 5 drum on right.
type 1 vs type 3 brake drums (and now Thing drums added to page 4) - Page 3 CIMG3340_zpsbd27b98b

Spring plate clearance.
type 1 vs type 3 brake drums (and now Thing drums added to page 4) - Page 3 001_zpsfec8230b
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by vw57drvr Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:18 pm

Probably ghetto but could you add air shocks and only pump them up for a tire change?
vw57drvr
vw57drvr
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by type901 Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:30 pm

Eric,

I am running thing drums on the rear and have no issue changing the tires.

type901
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:27 am

Yeah, I suppose pumping up air shocks would work, but only in my garage or at a gas station where air is available.  On the side of the road, I'd still be having to use my pipe over the castle nut, which is just as ghetto!

And Phillip, I think the reason I'm having so much trouble is the 14" rims (and big arse tires).  I haven't taken measurements of a 15" bus rim, but I'm guessing that extra inch in diameter helps the inside of the rim clear the drum (similar to how I can't run most disc brake kits since 14" rims won't clear the bigger rotors and caliper).  Pimpin stock wheels ain't easy! Laughing   If I had an extra 1/2" of clearance, it would go on a lot easier.  Where did you get your drums?
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by type901 Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:51 am

Eric,

You are probably right, the 15" rim does allow for you to tilt it as it comes out and miss the fender and arm.
I bought them from CIP. When they do their sales promo's they are as cheap as some folks ask for used ones.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-181-501-615

type901
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:53 am

cool, those are the ones I had been looking at! Thanks
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:45 am

Looks good man get it done.
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:50 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1591040 too bad they don't 14mm lugs
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:07 am

I'm getting it done as fast as I can!    Very Happy    Thanks for the links guys!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:01 pm

Ok, test fitted the drivers side today and Thing drums have been ordered!  The pipe I had been putting over the axle nut wasn't a perfect fit, so I took a 36mm socket and welded a piece of angle iron to it, and this worked a million times better than the pipe.

Here's the comparison pics between the 3 drums.

All three (thing, wide5 type 3, beetle 4lug with adapter)
type 1 vs type 3 brake drums (and now Thing drums added to page 4) - Page 3 CIMG3344_zps73fb5ba5

Thing and wide5 type3 - the track of the thing drum is between 10 and 11/16ths bigger.
type 1 vs type 3 brake drums (and now Thing drums added to page 4) - Page 3 CIMG3348_zps524be591

Thing and 4lug beetle with adapter - the track of the thing drum is 1/2" bigger
type 1 vs type 3 brake drums (and now Thing drums added to page 4) - Page 3 CIMG3351_zpsb0579b5c

4lug beetle with adapter and wide5 type 3 - the track of the beetle drum with adapter is just under 1/4" bigger
type 1 vs type 3 brake drums (and now Thing drums added to page 4) - Page 3 CIMG3350_zps32f5c2ef

Hillbilly drum/springplate force down tool (I need to cut it a little shorter)
type 1 vs type 3 brake drums (and now Thing drums added to page 4) - Page 3 Photo-1_zpscd529d3e
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Slim4life Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:37 pm

Epic
Slim4life
Slim4life
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3