Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speedo Rebuild

+5
59suicide
Bugman114
pwmcguire
sapp67
71_georgia_beetle
9 posters

Go down

Speedo Rebuild Empty Speedo Rebuild

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:03 pm

I'm looking at rebuilding my speedo. Well I'm really just wanting to clear the dust out, put the green, turn signal lens back in place and just give it an over all cleaning. Has anyone done it? Can it be done? Easy / hard?
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Speedo Rebuild Empty Re: Speedo Rebuild

Post by sapp67 Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:10 am

It is pretty easy Scott. I did this a couple of years ago, but I never could figure out how to reset the odometer back to "0". I ended up spinning it with a dremel tool. That took forever. I used the tabs from a filing cabinet folder for the green lens expect I used green and red.
Speedo Rebuild DSCN0331
sapp67
sapp67
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 11

http://AthensVWClub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:20 am

That is very nice. Thanks a million Steve. I was wondering what I could use for a lens.
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Speedo Rebuild Empty Added touch

Post by pwmcguire Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:56 pm

Take 2000 grit sandpaper to the back of the file folder you are using for a lens that way you can't see the light bulb through it. You can also paint the inside of the rear housing white to brighten up the speedometer You can use white led's for a back light, get them at Advance Auto. I have a white baja
with green accent lighting so I used green led's as a back light. It looks great.

Last edited by pwmcguire on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
pwmcguire
pwmcguire
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:12 pm

sapp67 wrote:It is pretty easy Scott. I did this a couple of years ago, but I never could figure out how to reset the odometer back to "0". I ended up spinning it with a dremel tool. That took forever. I used the tabs from a filing cabinet folder for the green lens expect I used green and red.
Speedo Rebuild DSCN0331

Not sure if that style speedo is the same as mine (74 super), but if it is, when you take the back metal part off, exposing the inner mechanism, you will see a small plastic gear comming off the shaft where the number rollers go. all i did was take that gear off (just slides off, cause its just held on the shaft with friction), and was then able to carefully take a screw driver in between the 10,000 and 1,000 roller, and slowly pry it apart just enough, to get a small gap in between the gears, and roll the 10,000 gear to 0, and then the same between the 1,000 and 100. then from there, i just rolled the 0.1 with my finger to 0 out the 100, 10, 1, and 0.1 to zero. you'll be able to freely roll the 0.1 roller with your finger once you take the small plastic gear off.

The only other way i can see to reset the counter (i just happen to have a speedo taken apart in my hand, lol), is to unscrew the face plate, and bend the whole stamped metal part open till the shafts come out. basically the part holding the rollers and other stuff, is pretty much a piece of sheet metal bend into the shape of a U, and the shafts go thru each side of the U., so the only other way i see, is to bend the U shaped metal open, switch the rollers to 0, and then bend it back, but i wouldn't do that personally (i guess thats chickenshitness on my part Laughing ).
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by 59suicide Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:28 pm

thats awsome i was just looking for someting on speedo rebuilding...

pwmcguire wrote:Take 2000 grit sandpaper to the back of the file folder you are using for a lens that way you can't see the light bulb through it. You can also paint the inside of the rear housing white to brighten up the speedometer You can use white led's for a back light, get them at Auto Zone. I have a white baja
with green accent lighting so I used green led's as a back light. It looks great.

what kind of led's did you use?
59suicide
59suicide
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:18 am

Bugman114 wrote:
The only other way i can see to reset the counter (i just happen to have a speedo taken apart in my hand, lol), is to unscrew the face plate, and bend the whole stamped metal part open till the shafts come out. basically the part holding the rollers and other stuff, is pretty much a piece of sheet metal bend into the shape of a U, and the shafts go thru each side of the U., so the only other way i see, is to bend the U shaped metal open, switch the rollers to 0, and then bend it back, but i wouldn't do that personally (i guess thats chickenshitness on my part Laughing ).

Not sure about the later speedos, but on the early ones, you just pull this pin out and the numbers will roll.
Here is a pic Glutamodo posted on the samba. He also did a very good write-up on rebuilding one here.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3401360#3401360
Speedo Rebuild 494360
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:09 am

Thanks for the link Eric. I know what I'll be doing today. Cool

Joe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 219

http://ATVW.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:33 am

No problem Joe. I ruined two speedo's before finding that link Laughing
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by pwmcguire Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:11 pm

59suicide wrote:thats awsome i was just looking for someting on speedo rebuilding...

pwmcguire wrote:Take 2000 grit sandpaper to the back of the file folder you are using for a lens that way you can't see the light bulb through it. You can also paint the inside of the rear housing white to brighten up the speedometer You can use white led's for a back light, get them at Auto Zone. I have a white baja

what kind of led's did you use?

I edited my post. I picked them up at advance auto parts, not auto zone, they are 4 in a pack. They are set up for 12 volts already. I know they have white, but I made my green leds. I used my light holder for the vw backlight. I took it all apart. I cut a soft foam ear plug in half and put a hole in it. I put the leads through the ear plug and rolled the ear plug and pushed it into the body of the light holder. I drilled a hole in the black disc where the original electrical connection big enough for the wire leads to come through, put the disc back in the body. Ground one lead and put power to the other. you can also purchase led bulbs that fit the holders but I was not impressed at all with them. They did not work on my 73 beetle's oil and generator light. I think voltage has to be able to flow in both directions and it can't with an led. I have a full set of bulbs if anyone is interested.
Speedo Rebuild Dash11
Here is the dash
Speedo Rebuild Engine11
Here is my engine
Speedo Rebuild Led_in12
White led in
Speedo Rebuild My_gre11
This is my green led
Speedo Rebuild Sepera11
This is the holder seperated
Speedo Rebuild Speedo11
A picture of my speedometer, non led oil and gen light,
they are bright enough. The red and green gels are sanded file folder tabs
Speedo Rebuild Wheel_11
Leds in my wheel well
Speedo Rebuild White_11
Led inserted through the ear plug. Cut the ear plug in half
pwmcguire
pwmcguire
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabass Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:32 pm

fluxcap wrote:
Not sure about the later speedos, but on the early ones, you just pull this pin out and the numbers will roll.
Here is a pic Glutamodo posted on the samba. He also did a very good write-up on rebuilding one here.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3401360#3401360
Speedo Rebuild 494360

This applies to every mechanical speedo ever made by VDO (and probably other brands too), even ones that aren't VW.
Gabass
Gabass
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2013-01-17

https://www.facebook.com/NorthGeorgiaSpeedometer?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post by cjvan71 Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:37 pm

I really like the green led
cjvan71
cjvan71