Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for Mechanic in Roswell/Alpharetta ...brake problems.

5 posters

Go down

Looking for Mechanic in Roswell/Alpharetta ...brake problems. Empty Looking for Mechanic in Roswell/Alpharetta ...brake problems.

Post by jsteelio Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:33 pm

First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Jason, I'm 34 and live in Roswell. I own a light blue '73 Beetle that I have had for about 2 years. So far the only mechanically inclined thing I'm capable of doing is change the oil.

I was going to take my car to Po' Volks Home (Northlake Center) in Tucker, GA for a tune-up and brake service but have learned they went out of business. Does anyone know of a good mechanic in the Roswell/Alpharetta area...or nearby?

In hopes of getting help from the Georgia Dubs community let me tell you my brake problem.

The brake pedal travels to the floor and does not brake well. Though, while I'm driving, if I pump the brakes the brake pedal and braking feel fine. But I have to repeat this each time I'm braking.

I've checked my brake fluid and it is full. Could my brake shoes just need adjustment?

Anyone willing to give me a helping hand if it is a more serious repair that I can't do on my own? I'll buy the beer. Smile

Thanks in advance!

Jason
jsteelio
jsteelio
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-02-04

http://www.jasonsteele.net

Back to top Go down

Looking for Mechanic in Roswell/Alpharetta ...brake problems. Empty Re: Looking for Mechanic in Roswell/Alpharetta ...brake problems.

Post by EngineerTEN Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:45 pm

Jason,

Doing the brakes is not to difficult in my opinion. It is a good project for someone starting off. I would recommend going to the book store and purchase "How to keep your Volkswagen Alive". It goes over procedure step-by-step with drawings to explain where things are. After looking that over come back to the forum with more questions.

Thanks,
EngineerTEN
EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Looking for Mechanic in Roswell/Alpharetta ...brake problems. Empty Re: Looking for Mechanic in Roswell/Alpharetta ...brake problems.

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:54 pm

X2 on the Idiot Book (How to keep your volkswagen alive) and I can only add, a Bently Manual. Sound like air in the line (bleeding) or adjustment or both.

Gary should chime in soon, he works for a VW repair shop in Decatur.
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:59 pm

I agree - get the book - I keep a copy of it in my bug at all times. Brake adjustment isn't bad on a bug, bleeding of the brakes can be fun at times, but not too bad a project.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 455
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by jsteelio Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:26 pm

I actually have that book. I forgot I owned it. My dad gave it to me when he gave me his Beetle. I glanced over the chapter on brakes and am feeling a little more confident. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the responses.

Jason
jsteelio
jsteelio
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-02-04

http://www.jasonsteele.net

Back to top Go down

Post by LungTube Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:18 pm

if you feel like driving it or towing it over to duluth i can help you with them. im sent.
LungTube
LungTube
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down