Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wiring problem! stupid ecu!

2 posters

Go down

Wiring problem! stupid ecu! Empty Wiring problem! stupid ecu!

Post by buggler66 Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:48 pm

i am doing a "upgrade" (haha) from a "fuel infected" 1979 superbug vert to carb and i'm having some problems getting enough juice to my coil to get ample fire. i know that the computer controlled the fuel pump and some of the engine electrics, but it should be much simpler now. i have fire to my coil and to the carb from the ign. switch and my charging system is hooked in. is there more that i am missing? do i need to install a voltage regulator or am i good with out it? having a hard time! HELP!!!! hahahaha!
buggler66
buggler66
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-11-28

Back to top Go down

Wiring problem! stupid ecu! Empty Re: Wiring problem! stupid ecu!

Post by Bugman114 Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Make sure your getting over 12 volts to the coil with the key on. And the only thing hooked to the negative is the wire comming from the points. If you want to diagnose it further, take a jumper wire from the fat red alternator wire (should always be hot) to the positive on the coil. If it doesn't start it could be a points issue, or the coil is bad. If it runs, you're not getting enough power from the positive wire, and I would just run another wire from the fuse box to the coil.

Also make sure the coil isn't hooked up backwards, or you may have fried it.

Last edited by Bugman114 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 pm

If you have an alternator with only two wires (the fat red one, and a single smaller one) then no, u don't need a regulator. If it has the three prong connector, it requires an external regular, which a 79 isn't wired for. If that's the case, buy a later model alternator. It would be the cheapest, simplest, and most reliable option. But the alternator has nothing to do with it starting so don't worry about it, XD
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down