Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello! "So I finally own my first Beetle, and I killed it... :("

+7
bayboy87
DiggerD
bakertim2
earlyvwfanatic
fluxcap
BKiller
fakirone
11 posters

Go down

Hello! "So I finally own my first Beetle, and I killed it... :(" Empty Hello! "So I finally own my first Beetle, and I killed it... :("

Post by fakirone Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:23 pm

I was posting over at The Samba and was referred to this forum. Just figured I would tell you guys my sob story too

"So this is my first post, but I have been lurking here at Samba for a couple weeks now, looking over posts and researching.
I grew up in Orange County and my whole life I have loved the 50's and early 60's Volkswagens. Several of my friends had them back then, Beetles, 21 window buses, the Type II trucks, love them all.
So I sold my Jeep and finally have a chance to get something for myself and low and behold I find a '64 Type I, all original and faily unmolested (besides being lowered). It has never been repainted (although someone did put a little primer on some ares, no idea why), the body and pan numbers match, has the original motor and runs great and the price was reasonable, at least for what I have seen here in Georgia over the last couple decades of casually looking. Just the little project I was looking for.

Hello! "So I finally own my first Beetle, and I killed it... :(" 1036615
Hello! "So I finally own my first Beetle, and I killed it... :(" 1036614

All is well and I had a great day yesterday driving my new car. Then, hell this morning. I couldn't drive my Beetle today, have a few hundred miles of driving to do and I don't feel like doing 60mph all night, so I drove my truck. I hope in my truck to leave and proceed to back over MY DAMN BEETLE! I have a steep driveway and a Ford F350, couldn't see the Beetle in the mirrors when I checked them and since I am totally not used to having another vehicle, totally forgot that there was something back there.
Now the hood is crushed, fortunately that is all, but damn I am pissed at myself.

Anyways, anyone know where to find a early Type I hood in Ga?

fakirone
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-03-13

Back to top Go down

Hello! "So I finally own my first Beetle, and I killed it... :(" Empty Re: Hello! "So I finally own my first Beetle, and I killed it... :("

Post by BKiller Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Well that sucks. My dad once ran over his corvette with his Scout. That was worse!
I'm sure someone will chime in with a hood solution for you. Great guys here.
BKiller
BKiller
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 687
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down

Hello! "So I finally own my first Beetle, and I killed it... :(" Empty Re: Hello! "So I finally own my first Beetle, and I killed it... :("

Post by fakirone Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:30 pm

BKiller wrote:Well that sucks. My dad once ran over his corvette with his Scout. That was worse!
I'm sure someone will chime in with a hood solution for you. Great guys here.
Bah, a 'Vette, that's nothin to my sweet Beetle. LOL. Just kidding.
Yeah, I am pretty ill, really mad that it was my own damn fault. I hope someone can help, this is killing me. Can't stop thinking about it.

The hood now after my F350 giving it a little kiss.

Hello! "So I finally own my first Beetle, and I killed it... :(" 1036661
Hello! "So I finally own my first Beetle, and I killed it... :(" 1036666
Hello! "So I finally own my first Beetle, and I killed it... :(" 1036668

fakirone
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Years ago when I had my 67, a friend had come over to my house and we were going to go bowling. We hop in the bug and I put it in reverse, completely forgetting where my friends car was. He was parked behind and to the left of me, so as I backed out, I side swiped his car. I was so upset, so after sitting there saying a few choice words, I decided to put the bug in first and pull back into the garage. I got a few feet and the car just stops moving, like it's stuck or something. So I just jump on the gas, and we hear a loud POP, and the bug takes off. We then get out and realized that the outer curve of my rear bumper had hooked his front bumper (which is why I felt stuck), and the loud pop was his plastic front bumper busting loose and landing about 20 feet into my front yard. Laughing

That was all I needed to turn my frown into a smile. His car was already a beater, so we spent the rest of the night laughing about his bumper and re-installing it back on his car.

Crap happens! You'll find another hood, there are plenty around, though it may not match quite as well. Cool
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by earlyvwfanatic Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:55 pm

Personally i say keep that hood, roll out the big wrinkles and roll as is!! Unless you plan on a paint job real soon, you'll never find a hood to match that patina. And another color hood would draw more attention to the front end than what I see as not to bad wrinkles in your pics. Just my opinion!!
earlyvwfanatic
earlyvwfanatic
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2010-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fakirone Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:07 pm

I agree, that's why I'm so ill. I'm good with the patina as it is and wasn't planning on painting any time too soon, but now that plans kinda shot to hell.
I guess we'll see how much I can get it straightened out for now, but I think a hood and a part job is in my near future.

fakirone
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Bang that thing out. It's not that bad. You could hammer and dolly that back out and keep that awesome patina going on.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:36 pm

I agree with these guys, just smooth it out best you can, replace the trim with another "aged piece" and roll. Cool
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bayboy87 Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:44 pm

agreed ...... awesome patina...... least it didnt screw a door up where it was major damage ..... i waiting to get mine going lol seems like i have more new parts in my shop than old ones just cant get out there
bayboy87
bayboy87
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2012-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Yep, roll out he dents the best you can, and keep it...that's really not bad at all! Nice looking car too!
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffler Bearing Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 pm

I agree. That ain't too bad at all. Bug looks good.
Muffler Bearing
Muffler Bearing
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon65 Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:14 pm

From your original post, it sounded really bad. Fortunately it's not that banged up. I too vote for banging it out and saving the patina.

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by fakirone Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:26 pm

It was TERRIBLE, but I banged it out some prior to these pics being taken.

fakirone
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by fakirone Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:27 pm

and thanks for the input guys.

fakirone
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by redneck_davis Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:32 am

Just adds character. . I try to use my Fords for rescue though.lol havent destroyed any VWs with mine.....yet:)
redneck_davis
redneck_davis
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2012-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:40 pm

redneck_davis wrote:Just adds character. . I try to use my Fords for rescue though.lol havent destroyed any VWs with mine.....yet:)

Cause that's one thing old VW's need.....more character clown
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by fakirone Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:20 pm

dlandvw3 wrote:
redneck_davis wrote:Just adds character. . I try to use my Fords for rescue though.lol havent destroyed any VWs with mine.....yet:)

Cause that's one thing old VW's need.....more character clown
Yeah, totally

fakirone
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down