Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+85
wagtag
Johnny
ryneb21
panic_fan
vdubyou709
sdmjam
wdstang
R33ce97
jotty
shaky
57RTOval
Slim4life
runabout199
ultralite
Knumb Knucks
jtcap
56rag
jim conner
limabean79
macollins105
ridikas
reprobate3
Brooks424
Murdock00
Major62
damon23
vwtattooed
Damn-it Don
60andslow
Attack chicken
aircooledaddicts
ibjamn
johnvalkennedy
laith
DubDawg2579
bulldawgdude
vdubbers
uBER_SLO
vw57drvr
Bugman114
Muffler Bearing
hly3rd
67vdub
RomanBug
Gabass
720boy
cjvan71
DiggerD
jshmnghm
bayboy87
MRJEL
Hobug
tronview
type4revolution
bumblebuggy
68beetlebug
ggaagg57
guytonbug
Hookdriver
rican11
Heinz57
yayarudy
jerryg66
ASBug
callahan
drvr8
earlyvwfanatic
PeeWeeMan91
bakertim2
pwmcguire
Laz
peregrine67
fried_chicken
Grifspop
sploval53
BKiller
DOODLE BUGG
redneck_davis
zabo
Jon65
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
rpm750
ping349n
fluxcap
type901
89 posters

Page 22 of 34 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28 ... 34  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 22 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by Bugman114 Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:19 am

runabout199 wrote:so i noticed that my thermostat linkage and stuff had been destroyed by previous owner/s Crying or Very sad . should i try to fix this? i do not remember any of my friends bugs having this hooked up. can it run without them? they left everything on it just mangled up.

Most people run with out the T-stat because they are hard to find in good shape and because no one really knows about them, XD,   If the thermostat itself isn't damaged and is still compressed, I'd run it.  Otherwise, just leave it off.  If u still have the flaps in the shroud it's a good idea to keep them in since they direct air to the heads.  Simply  wire them open with some safety wire, or some strong springs

Without the thermostat the motor will never get to operating temp (runs too cool), especially  in winter.  Most people don't really care about that.  I don't especially when building a motor I know isn't going to last long, or will most likely blow up soon (like my latest thrash built turbo motor with cast AA pistons, lol).  But a motor I'm building right, or want to last a while, will get a refurbished german thermostat from Awesome Powdercoat.  I'd never recommend a Mexican thermostat (brass thing with a spring around it) because if they fail it stays closed so ur motor burns up.  The German ones (the ones that look like a bellow) are made so if they fail they expand and keep your flaps open (safe position)

If the linkage is bent or something, there's a chance the flaps may be kept closed.  If that's happening you will burn up your motor.  Even if u remove the linkage, the flaps may still be shut.  Check to make sure they move freely, and aren't rusted shut.

EDIT: I just re read your post. If all the linkage is mangled and unuseable, I'd just leave it all off if I were you. If u try to straighten out something and it were to bind up, u could burn up your motor. If the flaps are good, I'd still keep them in the shroud wired or welded open.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 22 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by runabout199 Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:21 am

Bugman114 wrote:
runabout199 wrote:so i noticed that my thermostat linkage and stuff had been destroyed by previous owner/s Crying or Very sad . should i try to fix this? i do not remember any of my friends bugs having this hooked up. can it run without them? they left everything on it just mangled up.
Most people run with out the T-stat because they are hard to find in good shape and because no one really knows about them, XD,   If the thermostat itself isn't damaged and is still compressed, I'd run it.  Otherwise, just leave it off.  If u still have the flaps in the shroud it's a good idea to keep them in since they direct air to the heads.  Simply  wire them open with some safety wire, or some strong springs

Without the thermostat the motor will never get to operating temp (runs too cool), especially  in winter.  Most people don't really care about that.  I don't especially when building a motor I know isn't going to last long, or will most likely blow up soon (like my latest thrash built turbo motor with cast AA pistons, lol).  But a motor I'm building right, or want to last a while, will get a refurbished german thermostat from Awesome Powdercoat.  I'd never recommend a Mexican thermostat (brass thing with a spring around it) because if they fail it stays closed so ur motor burns up.  The German ones (the ones that look like a bellow) are made so if they fail they expand and keep your flaps open (safe position)

If the linkage is bent or something, there's a chance the flaps may be kept closed.  If that's happening you will burn up your motor.  Even if u remove the linkage, the flaps may still be shut.  Check to make sure they move freely, and aren't rusted shut.

EDIT:  I just re read your post.  If all the linkage is mangled and unuseable, I'd just leave it all off if I were you.  If u try to straighten out something and it were to bind up, u could burn up your motor.  If the flaps are good, I'd still keep them in the shroud wired or welded open.  
thanks flaps move good but they ripped the part off from the thermo to the flap . i dont have a welder so this is usless for me. i plan on a new motor / rebuild in april or so so i will just leave everything off and get a new german one then. im not sure this motor will last till then is having some running issues im trying to track down. i belive its just a tune up needed real bad. i tried to change the plugs when i got it and i couldnt get them out, but since i have almost the whole top half of the motor off im going to give it another shot. thanks for your reply.
runabout199
runabout199
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by pwmcguire Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:25 pm

Scooters got a new pair of shoes, well running boards. I still need the rear driver side gravel guard.

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 22 Img_0517
pwmcguire
pwmcguire
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by runabout199 Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am

pwmcguire wrote:Scooters got a new pair of shoes, well running boards. I still need the rear driver side gravel guard.

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 22 Img_0517
looks good
Very Happy 
runabout199
runabout199
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by runabout199 Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:20 am

wow im doing way more stuff than i know how to do to a car, today will be my first oil change in a bug, valves getting adjusted and hopefully engine back together and running Question Question 
runabout199
runabout199
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by BKiller Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:41 am

Drove to Dahlonega yesterday in the SP2 to get the new exhaust welded up. 5 hours there and back! Great day for a drive.
New exhaust sounds fantastic.
BKiller
BKiller
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 687
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:39 pm

Think I broke a clutch cable on my way to work. Guess what I'll be doing after I clock out?
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 22 Empty today i

Post by runabout199 Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:58 pm

i took my intake,doghouse,fuel pump, alt. stand , and all my smog crap off , changing intakes out new one will be here tomorrow along with tie rod ends. changing them tomorrow.Very Happy 
runabout199
runabout199
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:01 pm

Finished the 7.5 hour stainless ghia bumper install. A slow decent into hell. Looks great, but what a pain. I had nothing to go by, just a pile
of parts and a desire. KC
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by runabout199 Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:28 pm

put my deck lid back on and changed my tie rod assembly and steering dampner. it was easy just hope i dont kill my tires before i can get it in to be set. still trying to find a reputable engine building company to buy a new motor from,if yall know of any please tell. im looking at scat and gex but only found negitive about gex and hear scat is good but there cams are crap. i dont know bounce
runabout199
runabout199
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by runabout199 Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:31 pm

ASBug wrote:Finished the 7.5 hour stainless ghia bumper install.  A slow decent into hell. Looks great, but what a pain. I had nothing to go by, just a pile
of parts and a desire. KC

awsome i feel that way about everything i do to my bug cause im a bug noob.but i told myself that i would do all the work to it my self mech. well except when i buy a new motor
runabout199
runabout199
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Slim4life Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:32 pm

just drove it.
Slim4life
Slim4life
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by 720boy Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:44 pm

try fisherbuggies in fl they have engine sitting on the shelf I don't no how or who builds there motor and they run a drag car
720boy
720boy
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by sploval53 Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:42 am

Steve sands at prof low
sploval53
sploval53
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by sploval53 Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:42 am

Pro flow
sploval53
sploval53
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon65 Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:19 am

Slim4life wrote:just drove it.
Same.

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by 57RTOval Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:06 am

bumblebuggy wrote:Think I broke a clutch cable on my way to work. Guess what I'll be doing after I clock out?
Did the same in the 57 yesterday, drove it and broke the clutch cable.  Grrr.  The new one is not cooperating.
57RTOval
57RTOval
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 530
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:21 am

Jon65 wrote:
Slim4life wrote:just drove it.
Same.
Same here. Put about 400 miles on it the last couple of days!
Looks like Panama City, but were actually in Pigeon Forge for CYW.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 22 7F285FB8-2FD2-4F9B-9224-C9959E14BFF7-2292-00000414FEA0A29D_zps95196e99
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon65 Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:26 pm

fluxcap wrote:Looks like Panama City, but were actually in Pigeon Forge for CYW.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 22 7F285FB8-2FD2-4F9B-9224-C9959E14BFF7-2292-00000414FEA0A29D_zps95196e99
Yeah, I never understood that "beach setting" gift shop being in the middle if the Smokies.Suspect

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by MRJEL Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:55 pm

Jon65 wrote:
fluxcap wrote:Looks like Panama City, but were actually in Pigeon Forge for CYW.
Yeah, I never understood that "beach setting" gift shop being in the middle if the Smokies.Suspect
and now there are three pictures of that retail facility on this site alone.....

It's all marketing!

MRJEL
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:29 pm

They need all the marketing they can get. Parking lot has been empty every time we drove by!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by drvr8 Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:53 pm

Drove all over Fayette County with my boys... saw some cool sites and got some cool pictures.

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 22 IMG_0585_zps60819a43
drvr8
drvr8
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2012-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by shaky Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:18 am

put the cleaned up motor back in the 68. fired it up for second time and oil cooler leaks like niagra falls. Has new seals, can't figure it out.
shaky
shaky
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2009-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:03 am

shaky wrote:put the cleaned up motor back in the 68. fired it up for second time and oil cooler leaks like niagra falls. Has new seals, can't figure it out.
Perhaps the cooler itself has a leak? U replaced all 4 seals? I forgot to replace the ones between the cooler and block once, XD. Maybe the cooler block itself has a hole/ crack. Maybe one of the threads on either the block or case have a bad spot making it seem like the nuts are tightened down, but actually aren't. Just a few idears
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by rican11 Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:50 am

Did a little buffing on the bus.

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 22 <a href=What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 22 Buffbu10" />
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 22 <a href=What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 22 Buffbu11" />
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 22 <a href=What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 22 Buffbu12" />
rican11
rican11
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 34 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28 ... 34  Next