Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help!Need a mechanic in middle Georgia area.

3 posters

Go down

Help!Need a mechanic in middle Georgia area. Empty Help!Need a mechanic in middle Georgia area.

Post by Spook Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm putting the engine back in my 74 Super this weekend and if it runs I need to take it somewhere and have it diagnosed. Oil leaking behind the flywheel maybe(I put a new rear main seal in not sure if it will still leak) and some strange stalling under acceleration after warm. Can probably drive it within 50 miles or so to have it looked at and can have a little cash on hand. If anyone can help please let me know.
Spook
Spook
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-06-13

Back to top Go down

Help!Need a mechanic in middle Georgia area. Empty Re: Help!Need a mechanic in middle Georgia area.

Post by Bugman114 Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:34 pm

howdy. welcome to the site. first off, have you changed/ checked the basics?:

replaced:
-Coil
-plugs
-wires
-hoses (fuel and vacuum lines if you have a vacuum distributor that is

-verify all the ports on the carb that aren't used are capped off

-make sure the idle cut off (assuming u have a stock 34 pict carb) isn't disengaging

-checked/ adjusted the valves

-Make sure any/ all fuel lines are as far away as possible from the exhaust. If you have a fuel filter in your engine bay (which i wouldn't recommend u have), go for a long drive (or untill the symptoms start to happen), and see if the gas in the filter is bubbling. if so its actually boiling, so move that damn line before you blow up Laughing .

those are just a few things off the top of my head
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Help!Need a mechanic in middle Georgia area. Empty Re: Help!Need a mechanic in middle Georgia area.

Post by Spook Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:58 pm

I will check more when I install the engine. It may be okay. I replaced the alternator,plugs,wires,valve adjustment,rear seal...need to check the coil still. Unfortunatly I still have the 009 distributor but will get the svda as soon as possible.I also need to pull the plugs and check the gap I didnt do it when I put them in.
This is my daily driver so I am kinda in a jam and need it fixed. I'm not a very good mechanic ,I have always had a friend who worked on my stuff but he has no interest in working on VWs anymore apparently.
Spook
Spook
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by camch Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:54 pm

call gary at bugeyed.net he is near you and might be able to help without driving far. there are not many places the oil can come from back there, flywheel,cam plug or case, also chek the valve adjustment sounds like it might be to tight
camch
camch
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://yubuggin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:20 pm

when you installed the rear seal, did you lube the lip before installing it? if not it may have ruined the seal.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:30 am

I used a thin coat of oil around the seal and tapped it lightly with a rubber hammer in a circular motion and it went right in. Also ordered a svda distributor yesterday. I think the 009 was bad maybe that will help things a bit.
Spook
Spook
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down