Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+61
adams77
skunk
BKiller
fried_chicken
garomy
camch
mroberts
70VWKG
Hobug
Heinz57
sploval53
56rag
MellowMidget
Joe
65type2dailydriver
vwgirl
overspray
cavediver520
callahan
71Ghia
GhiaDD
vw57drvr
ShadetreeSHOguy
Cambur
57RTOval
tito
Muffler Bearing
smash
ladybugg
VW Chick
ASBug
vwovalchild
DiggerD
68buggirrl
buggin70
ibjamn
Johnny
ponycar25
peregrine67
DOODLE BUGG
drewBAKER
bakertim2
Goped406
zabo
39coupe
VW12step
71_georgia_beetle
Bugman114
aircooledaddicts
cylops80
bumblebuggy
meinvw
Grifspop
69panel
vwtattooed
Uglybug
Damn-it Don
fluxcap
56HAVOC
rpm750
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
65 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 39 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by peregrine67 Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:44 pm

Well I replaced the fuel filter I was using with the "correct" one that I got from NAPA. Drove a mile down the road and she shut down. Put the old one back on and that didn't work either. So I called my wife and we towed it back home. Mad
peregrine67
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1343
Registration date : 2010-01-27

http://freephilosophicaldiscussions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 39 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by Grifspop Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:16 pm

peregrine67 wrote:Well I replaced the fuel filter I was using with the "correct" one that I got from NAPA. Drove a mile down the road and she shut down. Put the old one back on and that didn't work either. So I called my wife and we towed it back home. Mad

That sucks, hope you get the fuel system problem figured out
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by peregrine67 Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:29 pm

looks like I may spend Saturday trying to shoot that down rather than going to Bugs at the Branch. I have a suspicion that the fuel filter let some crap in and it's now clogged my injectors.
peregrine67
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:35 pm

Swapped out my sealed beams for some Bosch H4s. Still need to make sure they are aimed correctly, but I can already tell they are tons brighter.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobug Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:18 pm

Painting the wheels for the squareback. cheers
Hobug
Hobug
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1326
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.athensvwclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:19 pm

building up fiber glass around the windscreen of the aztec so we can get a slick euro look sanding sucks im starting to look like a single man from sanding right handed one arm is going to be ripped
DOODLE BUGG
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1643
Registration date : 2008-12-01

http://bugglife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:49 am

DOODLE BUGG wrote:building up fiber glass around the windscreen of the aztec so we can get a slick euro look sanding sucks im starting to look like a single man from sanding right handed one arm is going to be ripped

Suspect
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:14 pm

There were a few car shows in the area yesterday..so i put the buggy in one close to home...between 1960 and 1970 there was a racing complex in the augusta area..had 4 or 5 different tracks in the complex..some of the old nascar drivers used to race there....didn't have a lot of show cars in it but there were a few old time race cars there...
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 39 100_0639

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 39 100_0637

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 39 100_0644

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 39 100_0645

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 39 100_0643

did take a picture of my dream car that was there....
I really would love to find one of these old cars...

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 39 100_0650
Johnny
Johnny
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.atvw.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:50 pm

pulled the shroud, carb, intake, and most of the engine tin off of the 63 today. Only to find that I couldn't get the cylinder tin off as it was hung on the exhaust. The engine has a vacuum leak and oil leak. Pulled the metal intake seals to put the thick paper ones on. I am also going to replace the boots and the carb base gasket. The oil leak I though was a crack in the case around the oil cooler because I have replaced the oil cooler seals on it twice, but discovered today that one of the studs that the nut screws on it that holds the cooler to adapter was loose. You can actually move the cooler back and forth a small bit so I am going to pull the whole assembly and see what is going on instead of just re-tightening it. Hope to get it all back together tomorrow and running and idling good....
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:51 pm

Work on Geek continues, installed the drivers door window, Felt and Window crank. Looks very good. Also removed the latch ass'y and cleaned it better and lubed it so the key would lock and unlock easier.

Now the passenger door, have to install everything.
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:51 pm

peregrine67 wrote:I'll join you on some future camping trips once I get my wiper situation sorted out.
We will be camping at the shop all weekend, have your wiper motor and fuel parts. Your welcome to come and camp for the weekend and fix/get ideas. Widespread Panic is playing this weekend so should have a few people there. Hopefully all bus drivers!!
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by peregrine67 Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:06 pm

meinvw wrote:We will be camping at the shop all weekend, have your wiper motor and fuel parts. Your welcome to come and camp for the weekend and fix/get ideas. Widespread Panic is playing this weekend so should have a few people there. Hopefully all bus drivers!!
I've got another busy weekend. I might come up Sunday afternoon. Thanks for the invitation.
peregrine67
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by peregrine67 Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:43 pm

troubleshooting and cleaning my fuel system, trying to get it running for this weekend.
peregrine67
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:14 pm

peregrine67 wrote:troubleshooting and cleaning my fuel system, trying to get it running for this weekend.
if your haveing trouble shooting it light a match and that will clear out your fuel clog just kidding dont do that unless you have good insurance lol affraid
DOODLE BUGG
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:58 pm

laid some more fiber glass today that will give you a sticky and a stinky situation but its all good
DOODLE BUGG
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:02 pm

man, i hate the smell of fiberglass resin. I wish someone would come up with scented resin drunken
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Heinz57 Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:36 pm

Got the '59 running good, took her for a test drive, all went well and it starts every time on the 1st crank! I will finish the wiper motor conversion next week.
Heinz57
Heinz57
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2008-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Treehive Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:12 pm

I have been so busy lately working on small projects! Over the last two weeks, I have ground all the rust off my engine tin, primed, and painted glossy black, degreased all hardware, cleaned the alt, starter, and fan. Lots of cleaning!!

The grinding was the biggest pain in the ass. I didn't have a stationary grinding wheel. So, I bought a brush attachment for my power drill, attached a 2x4 to my work bench using clamps, and strapped the drill to the 2x4....and whalla....stationary grinder. I worked that grinding station till the drill melted Twisted Evil

Today, I will strip the factory paint off my new muffler and header, and give it a spray with some high temp paint from autozone. It's a rustoleum product that is rated up to 2000 degrees. Anyone have any experience with this product?

Friday, Me and a buddy are going to start putting it back together. Shouldn't be too tough. All the tin, alt, starter, exhaust system, carb need to be put back on the block and then wiggle her back in. Hopefully we can have her back on the road by Sat! cheers
Treehive
Treehive
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:05 pm

Sold the Glove box door, right out of Old Yeller!
It's going to a it's new home, a '70 Beetle, in Houston, Tx., to be in a show this weekend.

It's the bottom one in the photo here.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1027776

Now, back to the paint shop to make a new one!
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:14 pm

Treehive wrote:.....with some high temp paint from autozone. It's a rustoleum product that is rated up to 2000 degrees. Anyone have any experience with this product?

yes it will still burn off, unless you can find some way to heat it up, and paint it while still hot. I persnally like throwing it in an oven, and then painting it. It will bake on the paint, and last a hell of a lot longer. just make sure the surface of the metal your painting is already scuffed up (i.e. sand paper, or wire weel.).
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Treehive Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:28 am

Bugman114 wrote:
Treehive wrote:.....with some high temp paint from autozone. It's a rustoleum product that is rated up to 2000 degrees. Anyone have any experience with this product?

yes it will still burn off, unless you can find some way to heat it up, and paint it while still hot. I persnally like throwing it in an oven, and then painting it. It will bake on the paint, and last a hell of a lot longer. just make sure the surface of the metal your painting is already scuffed up (i.e. sand paper, or wire weel.).

So:

1) Scrape the surface with the wire wheel
2) Bake in the oven @ what temp??
3) Spray while still hot

Treehive
Treehive
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:36 am

I used high heat paint on my header and it's stayed on pretty good so far. Only have probably about 1000 miles on it, but with this summer heat, I'm sure it got up to the highest temps it's going to see. I believe I used rustoleum, but I'll have to look at the can when I get home and report back.

I didn't use the spray paint though, I used a quart can and brushed it on. Took a little patience to get in all the bends, but it went on thicker than I think you would get with a few coats of spraypaint, which may be why it is holding up.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Treehive Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:30 am

fluxcap wrote:I used high heat paint on my header and it's stayed on pretty good so far. Only have probably about 1000 miles on it, but with this summer heat, I'm sure it got up to the highest temps it's going to see. I believe I used rustoleum, but I'll have to look at the can when I get home and report back.

I didn't use the spray paint though, I used a quart can and brushed it on. Took a little patience to get in all the bends, but it went on thicker than I think you would get with a few coats of spraypaint, which may be why it is holding up.

If that worked for you I will give it a shot. I have gotten so many varying opinions on what works and what doesn't when attempting to paint the exhaust system. Also, I have gotten contradictory advice from several on TS. "BBQ paint worked for me!" "BBQ paint sux" "POR 20 high temp is the best" "it sux"....and on and on....I just want something that works so my exhaust isn't completely rusted out in a year Sad but i digress....I am not sure what I will do yet, but I'm sure everyone will hear about the results....peace afro
Treehive
Treehive
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:39 am

never used the brush on paint before, but i think i'll try it next time.

I just threw it in the oven at about 400 degrees. and by the time i walked it outside, it had cooled down a bit. and i sprayed it slowly, and it baked on the paint. I'm sure either way should work tho. my guess is with spray paint, when you spray down a header while cold, the paint is comming out much colder, due to the expanding gasses in the can, but when you spray the hot header, the paint gets really hot, really quick, to match the temp of the header. so that way, there is no mis matched thermal expansion between the header, and the paint. thats just a guess tho.

But to be on the safe side, i would keep the can of brush on paint next to the header, so they are both the same temperature wen you paint them, if you want to go that way. it sure couldn't hurt, lol
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:21 am

Yeah, I would have never thougt to use the brush on kind, but a while back a local ACE Hardware was having a going out of business sale and I bought a few random cans of paint for $1 a piece. I had it laying around so I just gave it a shot.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next