Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car Show for a good cause DATE HAS BEEN SET *** MAY 29th *** 9am-3pm

+8
720boy
Grifspop
ASBug
Clyde
56HAVOC
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
bakertim2
vwovalchild
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Car Show for a good cause  DATE HAS BEEN SET *** MAY 29th *** 9am-3pm Empty Car Show for a good cause DATE HAS BEEN SET *** MAY 29th *** 9am-3pm

Post by vwovalchild Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:22 pm

Hey guys I am wanting to put together a car show more VW's than anything at our church for a fund raiser for our high school youth choir trip this summer. We have the prime setup at the church for a show. The church is located in west Cobb County with easy access to it. Our high school youth choir trip will be taking them to Australia working with the youth of the community that they will be staying in. The trip is very expensive and we are looking at ways to raise money.

Looking for some time in May. It will be on a Saturday. Starting time would be around 10am and run till 3pm. No awards will be handed out but a thank you certificate of thank you will be given to each participant.
We have not set the date yet. Food will be sold and an entry fee of ???? you tell me.

No fee for spectators but we will be taking donations for the trip.

Also we will be handing out flyers at several car cruise nights the weeks before.

Below is a link to our church:

www.burnthickory.com

Please give me your thought on this and if you would be interested.
Thanks[b]

Last edited by votwing on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwovalchild
vwovalchild
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2008-07-27

http://www.AirCooledArcheology.com

Back to top Go down

Car Show for a good cause  DATE HAS BEEN SET *** MAY 29th *** 9am-3pm Empty Re: Car Show for a good cause DATE HAS BEEN SET *** MAY 29th *** 9am-3pm

Post by bakertim2 Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:55 am

I would like to see more vw shows, locally. I think it would bring more awareness to our hobby. cheers
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Car Show for a good cause  DATE HAS BEEN SET *** MAY 29th *** 9am-3pm Empty Re: Car Show for a good cause DATE HAS BEEN SET *** MAY 29th *** 9am-3pm

Post by vwovalchild Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:57 am

I agree. I would love to have as many as possible show up. We need to do more here on the west side. More get togethers needed.
vwovalchild
vwovalchild
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:27 am

bakertim2 wrote:I would like to see more vw shows, locally. I think it would bring more awareness to our hobby. cheers

I am mixed on this point. Yes I would love to see more local shows but people need to support the ones we already have. Reynolds is the main one that comes to mind.

Less people = less vendors = less people = dead show.....

I understand everyone cannot make everything but the formal local shows is where everyone should try to make it out. Maybe we need to have a competition between the clubs with a prize for the club that is best represented at the shows. I guess that is for another thread though.

To get back to this thread I think it would be good for you to do a show. I would go after as many cars as possible, not just dubs...Volkswagen people are as cheap as they come (yes I am)

$10 bucks to get in seems fair. I would come up with some kind of top 10 trophies though (not really for VW people but more toward the hot rods). Even if they are just homemade (which are usually the best anyway) I think it would help get people to come. (A piece of wood with some vw cams spray painted....etc)

I like the idea about free for spectators but I would have someone walking around trying to get people to give a dollar.

50-50 tickets are also good for raising money too. Winner gets half and the other half goes to the fund raiser.

$1 a ticket
$5 for the length of your arm
$10 from ground to waist
$25 for length of a v-dub.....

Go to local parts stores and try to get donations for door prizes to give to people for left over losing 50-50 tickets.

Food sales will help a lot too!

Just try and have as many volunteers as you can. You can never have enough.

How much are you trying to raise with this show? You have to have some sort of target. If you have no target then their will be no motivation.....
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988
Registration date : 2008-07-20

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:08 pm

I am mixed on this point. Yes I would love to see more local shows but people need to support the ones we already have. Reynolds is the main one that comes to mind.

Less people = less vendors = less people = dead show.....

I understand everyone cannot make everything but the formal local shows is where everyone should try to make it out. Maybe we need to have a competition between the clubs with a prize for the club that is best represented at the shows. I guess that is for another thread though.

I agree 100% with you on that bro. We need to start supporting the shows here first. Like he said some can't make every event but at least try to make the big shows. Nothing is wrong with mix in it up with other clubs or shows where all one family "GEORGIA DUBS". That's why I'm going to start pushing for a more united group. G.A.S.(GEORGIA AIRCOOLED SOCIETY). Let's get GEORGIA DUBS OUT TO ALL THE other states.
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:36 pm

I try to go to every dub specific show I can financially afford to go to. With that said, what I was trying to say was more shows geared for the dubs on the northwest side of Atl. I would love to make it to every show in the southeast, however, I can't afford to make it to all the shows, especially the ones out of state. I just don't have the money for gas, hotel rooms, eats, show admission and etc. That's the reason I want the "local" shows. Last year, I went to most every show around Atl. I couldn't make it to a few. This year, I do plan to making all of the Atl. shows and those within a few hours of driving and offer on site camping. I'm not talking about not supporting the other shows, but, adding additional shows, on the local scene. I hope that they all grow by leaps and bounds. I have been to all but two or three of the shows at Silver Dollar. I hope I didn't step on anybody's toes with my statement. I think we could support every show on the local level (around Atlanta) that comes up if we can work together on making them successful rather than being competitive. So, let's work together.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Tim you didn't step on my toes. I wasn't directing my statement towards you. I just used this as a platform to make a point.

Like I said more shows are great! Just don't forget or give up on the shows we already have.
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:33 pm

Nah I got a real big toe LOL!!!! but really I'm for more local shows and local support from the VW community. Personally I would love it if we had a show or a jambore every month. One month a show next month a little get together,and every time have 20 or more DUBS show up. But don't worry guys G.A.S. is coming to a town near you soon. Every club on Georgiadubs I'm going to put together a cruise in your city and then we as a state can make it at every end of the map
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by vwovalchild Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks for the input guys. A lot of good ideas. However this is a church function and the 50/50 ticket thing will not work. I like the idea and have even put a little of my money into them. Never won !

First of all Im not trying to take away for pull from any of the other shows. I am trying to make as many local shows meaning around here in metro ATL, Chatt. and Reynolds. Im just trying to help the high school choir trip from our church raise some funds. We have a tremendous amount of people in of church and everyone that I have spoke to about the show has been very positive.

I could even see this becoming an annual event. Things like this tend to go over well and hang around year after year. We are having our 11th annual Run for the Son 5k and 10k race at the end of this month. We have hundreds turn out for this event.

And I think the same thing could happen with this one.

We even have a large sodded lawn in front of the church and spoke to the youth pastor today about having it on there. (Show on Lawn) I think we can come up with trophies and have the attendees do the voting.

Still working on the dates it will be in May for sure.

Looking at entry fee $10.00

We will have food, clean restrooms and a lot of fun.

Plenty of paved parking.

And what I think would be cool is that if we had a good turn out to the show here at he church. All of us cruise to the local cruise night as one big group. That would look cool to come rolling up, a sea of VW's

Thanks much for your input.

Also hated I got there late to Marietta Diner. 8 of us got there when the most of yall were leaving. I know the weather had a lot of doings with everybody wanting to get out of there. But I sure wished I had got to meet some of who I respond to on here.

Take care guys
vwovalchild
vwovalchild
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:24 pm

Sorry I miss you to, but as soon as you get all the details for this show post it I'm for always helping out the kids.so count me in I'm there.
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Clyde Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:44 pm

My old Church in Michigan had a car show and called it "Resurrected Oldies." It's always great to see something at a Church that doesn't revolve 100% around the females (impatient husbands waiting around, looking at their watch, wondering if she'll ever stop talking so they can go home). You'll see people get involved in this who wouldn't get involved in anything else the church does.

If you do a VW only show, you'll be limiting it to like 20 to 50 cars (just a guess?) If you involve all makes, you can most likely plan on filling your lot. Remember to allow enough room for them to open their doors safely. Have a few wise people dedicated to parking.

I'd put up flyers at all your local auto parts stores, car washes, maybe even some of the dealerships.
Advertise early. Give them at least a month or two to schedule it in. I'm scheduled for 2 events each month for the rest of the year already. You can probably get a photographer from a local newspaper to come do a little write up on it- to get the word out for next year.

Take lots of notes (for next year) and delegate as much as possible.

It's a lot of work- that's why I don't put one on here in Athens scratch
Clyde
Clyde
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-07-23

http://athensvwclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 pm

I help out with my "other" club the Scienic City Volks Folks in Chattanooga some. I am not an authority on Bug-a-Paluza, but I do know that it is an extreem undertaking each year to pull it off. Yes I know It is a LARGE show and has alot of followers, but that is my point, we give all the proceedes to the Ronald McDonald house in Chattanooga. After we pay the expenses and such there isn't as much for the charity as most of you are thinking. Don't get me wrong, it is very appreiated and is needed by the house, but I was somewhat surprised. No one in the club gets paid to do any of the events, judging, etc. It truly is a labor of love for our club, as several of the member's and some of the member's families have had to use the services of RMDH for being near the critically ill children.

I agree with the earlier postings about size and dollar goals. If the show is going to be just a large cruise in then the only revenue will be from the participants and a few local sponsors or vendors. (Church Parking lot might be perfect for this.) If you are planning on any thing larger, then you have to get into the same mentality as the Why U Buggin discussion over the past few months as to where the event can be held. Although my VW is a DDriver, some of the collectors around here will not park their cars on any dirt or grass, so you have to have a large parking lot to do a large show.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I was shocked as to the amount of work that went into the 1st BAP that I was associated with.

Good luck and maybe I can get the ASBug down to the shows in the ATL one day.

KC - way up north... in Dalton.
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:23 pm

2 Quick notes:

#1-Check dates on the Southeast Event Planner: http://www.sevwc.com/planner99.htm to make sure there's no conflict, you certainly don't want to go up against an already advertised show

#2- Make sure you're listed on the Southeast Event Planner once you've chosen a date.

Just my 2 cents worth, Pete
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by vwovalchild Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:36 pm

Thank you for the input. I did check the calendar and I'm looking at some time in May. According to the calendar. As far as the parking space paved and grass, there is a tremendous amount available. We have a very large church.

Good ideas and I will put all them in my notes.

Thanks agan
vwovalchild
vwovalchild
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 720boy Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:40 pm

how about getting a bunch of volkswagen together and invaded a cruze in, and show people that there is alot of volkswagen siting at people houses. Shocked
720boy
720boy
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by vwovalchild Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:52 pm

we try and do that once the cruises start in the spring. I am working on the details for the car show. I will update soon with times and a concrete date.
vwovalchild
vwovalchild
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:56 pm

720boy wrote:how about getting a bunch of volkswagen together and invaded a cruze in, and show people that there is alot of volkswagen siting at people houses. Shocked

Now I'm all for that. Fine one and set it up and count me in that sounds fun. We did that last year at the varsity up in Cobb and it was fun.
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Car Show for a good cause  DATE HAS BEEN SET *** MAY 29th *** 9am-3pm Empty Car Show May 29th Then cruise to Dallas Cruise night. Good cause

Post by vwovalchild Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:49 pm

We have set the date for the show. May 29th. Its a Saturday. We will start the show at 9am and run till 3pm. This Saturday night is the Dallas Cruise night. So plan on coming to the show then we can all follow each other to the cruise. There is usually a lot of cars at the cruise. I think it would be pretty cool for a sea of VW's to come rolling in to the crusie.
Please talk this up to the people you know.
We will be charging a $15 entry fee for the show. There will be judging and this will be done buy the public that is attending. We will also be taking donations from the spectators. All money that is raised will go to support the high school youths mission trip to Australia.

We have the perfect set up for this show and I think it can be a big success with all yalls help.
Here is a link to the church and info:

http://www.burnthickory.com/home

There will be music and food and we have clean restrooms

This will be open to all types and makes of cars, trucks and motorcycles.

Lets show West Cobb that the VW's dominate.
I will be posting more info when it gets finalized.

Last edited by votwing on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwovalchild
vwovalchild
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:55 pm

kool im putting it on my calender i will be there
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by vwovalchild Mon May 03, 2010 12:51 pm

Getting a lot of positive feedback concerning this show. Please put this on your calender and plan to attend. We will be cruising to the Dallas cruise night from the show. Open to all types and makes of cars, but I want to see more VW's there. $15.00 to enter show and all proceeds go to support our youth mission trip to Australia.
Mark it on your calender

May 29th
Burnt Hickory Baptist Church
5145 Due West Road Northwest
Powder Springs, GA 30127-4302
(770) 590-8773

West Cobb County

Contact me for directions
vwovalchild
vwovalchild
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by aircooledaddicts Mon May 03, 2010 2:14 pm

Sounds good. I will put this on our list
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1670

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by buggin70 Mon May 17, 2010 9:53 pm

so whos all goin?
buggin70
buggin70
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon May 17, 2010 10:03 pm

I'm planning to try and make out. Hopefully my car will be running by then. May just have to throw the crappy carb back on soon if the new one doesn't get here soon.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857

Back to top Go down

Post by buggin70 Mon May 17, 2010 10:10 pm

fluxcap wrote:I'm planning to try and make out. Hopefully my car will be running by then. May just have to throw the crappy carb back on soon if the new one doesn't get here soon.

how much longer u think?
hasnt it been a long time?
buggin70
buggin70
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by 67vdub Mon May 17, 2010 10:57 pm

I will try to make it but is my son 1st birthday party with the family Very Happy
67vdub
67vdub
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 689
Registration date : 2010-03-25

http://<style>.ig-b- { display: inline-block; } .ig-b- img

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next