Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please Read

+3
Damn-it Don
theredbaron9
67vdub
7 posters

Go down

Please Read Empty Please Read

Post by 67vdub Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:05 am

VW FAmily...... How can we help this Family. Can we organize a Car Show to help this Family? Were do we start?

http://www.times-herald.com/local/20130809-four-injured-in-Grantville-accident

3 Children, Adult Injured In Grantville Wreck
by WES MAYER

Friday, August 16, 2013Facebook Twitter Comments
Two children were transported by Lifeflight helicopter ambulance and the third by ground to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston Saturday, and the driver was transported by ambulance to the Atlanta Medical Center, following a traffic accident in Grantville.

According to Georgia State Patrol authorities, around 9:50 p.m. the four were preparing to turn left onto U.W. Highway 29 from Brasch Park Drive in their 1966 Volkswagen Beetle when they were rear-ended by a 1999 Nissan Pathfinder. The force of the collision sent the Volkswagen across U.S. 29 into the northbound shoulder.

The two children in the back seat suffered from head trauma injuries and were airlifted to the hospital, said GSP Trooper Ross Buchan, who worked the scene. One child may have sustained brain damage and the other may have had a fractured skull. The child in the front seat received minor scrapes and bruises and was released from the hospital Saturday night, and the driver suffered a broken arm along with other minor injuries.

The two children are still in the hospital but their condition in unknown.

The driver of the Nissan, Charles Leonard Jackson, 62, was uninjured. There was no suspicion that Jackson was driving while impaired, and it is unclear how fast he was traveling, Buchan said. However, skid marks were not found on Brasch Park Drive during the investigation, meaning Jackson made no attempt to stop.

No charges have been filed against Jackson at this time.

Last edited by 67vdub on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)
67vdub
67vdub
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 689
Registration date : 2010-03-25

http://<style>.ig-b- { display: inline-block; } .ig-b- img

Back to top Go down

Please Read Empty parts

Post by theredbaron9 Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:09 am

contact bugs for Christ john or Darrell if we all can come up with a body we will donate parts or maybe we can repair there car

theredbaron9
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2010-09-12

http://www.bugeyed.net

Back to top Go down

Please Read Empty Re: Please Read

Post by Damn-it Don Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Would be awesome to see a fundraising type event, or a build project of some sort to help this family.
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Man what an awful story. We'll get involved with anything we can do. I think one thing to think about is after something horrific like this, the family may not want that car back, but if everyone wants to do a build for them we'll be glad to help and throw all of our effort at it. We are gonna contact local churches up in that area to see what immediate help they can be to the children's families. Does anyone have information on who it is or where they live so we can get some help calls out through the ministry?

Just an idea that works well here with the Jones County Cruisers, whenever something like this happens, they throw together a quick super cruise in, call a restaraunt, tell them what you need and why, talk them into giving say 10% of their proceeds the day of the cruise in to help the family with bills immediately, you can also ask every car, VW, motorcycle, etc that shows up to donate ten bucks or more to the cause, and of course accept any and all donations to help them. It wouldn't take a week to setup and could do the cruise in one of the next two weekends. I would suggest somewhere close to them, a place that may know them and can advertise for it.

I'm gonna make some calls tonight, try to see what we can get going church wise, etc. If anyone has ideas of places to have the cruise in we'll try our best to help organize, set it up, we'll cruise up in full force, in vw's or not!

In the mean time, those of you that will, pray and pray, and let's get something organized fast.
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:24 pm

We have a 78 Bay Window, the one we've posted pictures of that is black with the "All Makes All Models" on it, we've had it sitting at the shop for a year or so just waiting for an answer on what we could do with it, and this may be the perfect thing. It has everything we need, it has an engine, a front end waiting to be put under it, just needs minor welding for the floor, very small rust spot and it could be put together, painted, made to look terrific in a hurry for this family!!!!! We'll be glad to hand it off to a shop or club closer to that area if y'all really want to do that as a Community, or if we can get a group of guys to come to the shop I think it could be knocked out, restored, running, driving in no time at all with enough help??? Thoughts?
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:53 pm

http://www.times-herald.com/local/20130814-Grantville-accident-update
One of the children, 12-year-old Taylor Alvarado, is still on life support in a medically induced coma, Grantville Police Chief Doug Jordan said. Despite worries he had suffered brain damage, MRI reports indicate normal brain activity. The front of his skull was removed to relieve pressure from swelling and several organs including his kidneys, liver and gallbladder were damaged.

The other child, 14-year-old Brooke Alvarado, has undergone surgery on her face, jaw and cheekbones, Jordan said. She sustained broken ribs and a collapsed lung, and a tube has been placed in her chest to drain fluid from her lungs. Four muscles in her left eye were damaged, and although she cannot see clearly at this time, she is expected to fully recover. She also was reported to have short-term memory loss and does not remember the accident.

The driver was their cousin, Ferdinand Figueroa

An update on the family was given at Monday's Grantville City Council meeting. City Manager Johnny Williams told the council that city employees and local citizens have been donating money to help the Alvarado family pay their bills, and several attendees of the meeting gave Williams money for the family. Donations will be accepted at the front window of the Grantville City Hall.
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:35 pm

I'm not much of a planner, but if something gets organized, I'd definitely like to try and help/donate to the cause.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 67vdub Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Me as we'll Im crap for plans but willing to do anything to help out. My showed me a Facebook link for a friend of the family I wil find the link and post. What ever when ever I'm willing to help.
67vdub
67vdub
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 689
Registration date : 2010-03-25

http://<style>.ig-b- { display: inline-block; } .ig-b- img

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugs4Christ Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm

Great! We are contacting local churches to find out more details and what help the family needs. Does anyone know of any churches in the Grantville/Newnan area that might help us respond to this family's need?
Bugs4Christ
Bugs4Christ
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugs4Christ Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:27 pm

Are there any VW clubs in the Grantville area that we might communicate with?
Bugs4Christ
Bugs4Christ
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Exactly what John just said, anyone know any car clubs in or around Newnan we can communicate with? We will be glad to help organize something quickly and see what we can do to get this going and off the ground, cause I know the VW community can and will show up in droves for something like this.
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:45 am

There may be some general car clubs around newnan, but I don't know any contact info for them.  Unfortunately,there aren't any VW clubs in Newnan or the surrounding area.  

Here's something I found though.
http://mfitzpatrick-flm.dealerconnection.com/Service/

At the bottom of this page, you will see a picture of "Ferdinand Figueroa", I have no idea if this is the same guy as the driver of the beetle, just know he has the same name.  Next to his picture, you'll see a guy name Charlie Filkins.  Charlie is part of a duo called "the car guys" who have (or had) a radio show and he often hosts local car shows around here.  I don't know him or have any contact info for him, but you can probably find it online.  Perhaps he would know of some general car clubs in the area or have connections.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks for the help with info on the driver. That is him, that is his place of employment...I spoke to them this morning, waiting on a call back from their service manager, they are interested in helping in anyway they can also. I spoke to a family friend also this morning, two stories, one from the church, one from her, the owner of the car either just bought it that day, or just finished restoring it and was driving it the first time that day, went to the children's house to show their dad, they loved his beetle and wanted a ride. He took them around the neighborhood in it, maybe a 15-20 minute drive, and was stopped waiting to make a left into their subdivision when they were rear ended. no sign of skidmarks from the driver in the rear, he said he was distracted and didn't see them stopped. 12,13,14 year old kids, two boys one girl. The accident happened August 3rd. the 13 and 14 year old are home with Grandparents. The oldest is the girl, she had broken jaw, cheeks, nose, bruised ribs, etc, and is home healing, the 13 year old boy was in front, he broke ribs, bruised lungs, concussion, fractured skull but is going to be ok. The youngest boy took the brunt of the impact from the SUV and Engine of the beetle...he has major internal injuries and head trauma..the whole rear seat was pushed forward and he was pushed into the back of the driver. He's had several surgeries, he is breathing on his own now, but has massive swelling of the brain, many broken bones, fractured skull. He is still in a medically induced coma. When they lighten medicine he will move his fingers and thumbs on command, but it is very touch and go.

There is a local church, Sargent Baptist Church, that does a car show every year and we are waitng on them to call us back. They are very interested in helping organize a Super Cruise In type of show, where we hopefully can get all the VW's possible, any classic cars and motorcycles out to support this family. We're thinking of setting it up for Saturday Sept. 7 or Saturday Sept. 14. The ball is rolling, we're making progress and hopefully will finalize details by wed or thursday of this week.

I sure hope we, as a community of clubs, can fully get behind this...do you realize if we just had 100 VW's show up and donate 10 bucks each that's a thousand dollars already, and 10 bucks is nothing, hopefully we could all do at least that. The Mom is a waitress, so you know she's not getting paid while at the hospital, and Dad works for Delta.....let's get behind this in a big way!

I'll keep everyone updated
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by MRJEL Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:47 pm

Wow!

10 bucks is nothing! I'm sure more can and will be done. Please keep us posted. I'm in any way I can be!

It sure is nicer over here than on the Samba ain't it?

MRJEL
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:12 pm

MRJEL wrote:Wow!

10 bucks is nothing! I'm sure more can and will be done. Please keep us posted. I'm in any way I can be!

You're close by, so we may be getting in touch for sure!!! Yeah, I say ten because that's probably what we'll say is the entry fee, of course any and all donations will be accepted, and 100% of it is going to this family, we're just trying to get it organized.
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by MRJEL Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:02 pm

dlandvw3 wrote:
MRJEL wrote:Wow!

You're close by, so we may be getting in touch for sure!!!  Yeah, I say ten because that's probably what we'll say is the entry fee, of course any and all donations will be accepted, and 100% of it is going to this family, we're just trying to get it organized.
I'll be happy to do what I can, but I am a club of two! Just me and the son, and he's gone most of the time! The wife "tolerates" it somewhat.

You know, Ron and Mary Davenport have put on many shows in the LaGrange/Hogansville/Grantville areas. I know Mary has been battling breast cancer, but last I heard she was doing okay. The may be able to help as well.

MRJEL
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down