Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pectronix Distrubutor + Flametrower II coil

4 posters

Go down

Pectronix Distrubutor + Flametrower II coil Empty Pectronix Distrubutor + Flametrower II coil

Post by ridikas Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:10 am

Hey guys I picked up a pectronix distributor with Vacumn advance and flamethrower coil at Y U Buggin. I got it on and it feels like my bug is sluggish and not as peppy as before. Vacumn advance did get rid of flat spots on my pict 34 carb. But my little beetle just struggles to get power. Any ideas? Timing off? More advance? Help Shocked
ridikas
ridikas
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2013-04-13

Back to top Go down

Pectronix Distrubutor + Flametrower II coil Empty Re: Pectronix Distrubutor + Flametrower II coil

Post by Gabass Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:05 am

Do you have a book shelf? That 34 pict would be doing a better job as a book end than it is now. Those somewhat high performance pieces you installed don't sound like they'd be good with that carb. Like putting IDA's on a stock 36 horse, except backwards, and with the dizzy being involved. 30 or 30/31 would be better but would have less fuel passage. Up to you for that. Just saying what I'd do.
Loosen the distributor clamp slightly and slowly rotate the distributor forward and back while your car idles until the sound of the engine sends a warm feeling through your soul and you know it sounds good. Don't forget to tighten the clamp, then take it for a test drive and adjust it some more.
Gabass
Gabass
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2013-01-17

https://www.facebook.com/NorthGeorgiaSpeedometer?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Pectronix Distrubutor + Flametrower II coil Empty Re: Pectronix Distrubutor + Flametrower II coil

Post by ridikas Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:36 am

So what would suggest carb wise, besides the 31/30. I'm looking to get a nice set of dual carbs but unsure what to get. Nothing too big like the Empi IdF 48s but something just to make is run smooth and have extra power.
ridikas
ridikas
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:49 am

What size engine do you have?

I ran a 34pict3 on my 1776 for a while with an 034 svda (with points) and it was a pretty good combo. Do you have a timing light? I'm kinda hesitant to time by ear, I've tried it before, then hooked up the light and found I was pretty far off. I'm sure it takes practice, but I like to just always use my light to get it dialed in.

I now have weber 34 icts on my engine and swapped back to a 009 distributor. I really like my webers and they feel much better than the 34pict3 did, but I haven't really ever tried any other dual carbs, so don't really have much to compare them to.

Last edited by fluxcap on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ridikas Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:53 am

I have a stock 1600 cc dual port. I had my bug timed with a timing light two days ago. I do have a timing light, I timed my old 009 before. Took a little bit but I got it.
ridikas
ridikas
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:07 am

Do you remember what it was timed to? It couldn't hurt to double check the timing. I'm guessing you got something similar to this.
http://www.shop.kaddieshack.com/Pertronix-SVDA-Distributor-MADE-IN-USA-D186504.htm
They are timed differently than the 009.

This would be timed similar to a 034. You have to remove the vacuum hose from the carb, and plug the port on the carb. Then time it to 7.5 btdc at idle.

fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:13 am

Also, do you know which electronic ignition module is in the distributor? The distributor in the link I posted above has a module that requires a 3ohm coil. All the specs I found for the flamethrowerII say that it is a .6 ohm coil.

The regular flamethrower coil is a 3ohm coil.

You may want to double check that the electronic ignition module is compatible with your coil, as you may have a spark issue causing the weak power.

Ignitor module would use a regular flamethrower
IgnitorII would use a flamethrowerII

Pectronix Distrubutor + Flametrower II coil Application_chart
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:00 am

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 34 pict carbs. They're just fine. The issue becomes when you mate them with the 009 which highlights the flat spot and will occationally require you to run your fuel mixture rich. Since you have a SVDA now, you should be able to get it dialed in. Two things you need to look at. The timing of a SVDA and a 009 are going to be different. Make sure you check the timing vaules for the SVDA and use a timing light to get it right. You'll also probably need to lean your fuel mixture out some because your carb was pumping extra fuel in for the 009. So, if you have it timed properly, I'd try adjusting the carb mixture to see if the power comes back.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ridikas Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:56 pm

I adjusted the screw to up the idle earlier and now the bug works 75% better.😁 I'll check with Jason and see what he timed it too. I'll also check which coil it is.
ridikas
ridikas
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by ridikas Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:55 pm

I take that back, it didn't work!
ridikas
ridikas
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:51 pm

Which screw were you using to bump up the the idle earlier? The bigger screw on the drivers side of the carb, or the screw on the rear of the carb connected to the throttle arm?

Glenn's got a good point, it could just be that the carb was adjusted to run with the old distributor, and now it needs to be adjusted back to normal levels to run with the SVDA.

Here's a good website that tells you how to set the carb.
http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html#carb
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by ridikas Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:12 pm

One on the left side. Big screw
ridikas
ridikas
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:34 pm

Cool, that's the one that should do it! Assuming you have a compatible coil and points module, you should be able to get this set-up to run better and be peppier than your previous setup. Just going to take a little tinkering. May want to adjust the volume screw (see guide in link above) to make sure the air/gas mixture is correct.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by ridikas Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:36 pm

I'll get tinkering away!
ridikas
ridikas
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down