Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Throwing out an idea we brainstormed on for something special next year

+2
Murdock00
dlandvw3
6 posters

Go down

Throwing out an idea we brainstormed on for something special next year Empty Throwing out an idea we brainstormed on for something special next year

Post by dlandvw3 Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:08 am

We, Bugs4Christ, are looking at doing a car show/cruise-in next October, like 16 months away, and we came up with a crazy idea and we want to know if any clubs, shops, etc would even be interested in trying this. Just leave feedback, positive or negative, doesn't matter, it's just a rough idea right now. Anyway, we got a huge response from people that liked our idea of building the Super we did for the Methodist Children's Home. We loved doing it, but doing another build in a week isn't something you can do a lot. Anyway, we've told some of you guys this, but that car was given to us, we didn't do more than a month's worth of pre-planning, getting the word out that we were doing it, and through parts being sponsored, money and parts being given to us, supplies, etc, We, as a group, only spent $200 bucks out of our Account to pay for that entire build. We are now auctioning it off with all the money going to the Methodist Children's Home....here's our thought:

People liked that we did it for a charity, a lot said, "I wish we could come up with something like that" What if we threw down a challenge for a build off, any car club or shop could do it, we'd just have to know in advance so we can work with an auction house, get advertising out that we're doing it, etc....Find yourselves a VW, whatever shape it's in to start that's fine, and you build a car for your charity of choice. Basic rules, Spend anywhere between 0 to 1000 dollars, no more than 1000 dollars...keep receipts to prove those were your expenses....whatever parts, car, paint, pieces, etc you can get sponsored from people, organizations, whatever, those don't count toward your thousand bucks. We set up an online auction for each of the build teams to start 2-3 weeks before the auction, with the bids ending the day of the car show/cruise in. All the clubs, shops come to the show, we have the auctioneer there to announce the selling prices of each build, whatever money you spent on it, say 500 bucks, or 1000 bucks, etc you get that back from the auction, with the remainder going to the charity you initially designated. We'll build trophies to give for things like, "Lowest amount of money spent" "Closest to 1000 dollars exactly" "highest auction price reached" . For most clubs or shops, coming up with a thousand dollars over 16 months as you build a car may not be too bad, and as long as you build a car that should sale for more than that you'll get it back in the end.....no limits on the car, build them however you want, but just can't spend more than 1000. If you can get a 4 grand motor donated and want to put it in the car, go for it....if someone volunteers to give you a 2000 dollar paint job, go for it.....

What are y'alls thoughts? Would anyone be interested in trying this? Even if we got say 5 teams building a car, that's 5 charities that would see quite a big donation from a unique cause....you'd be surprised how local communities around you would want to get involved in something like that if it's a local charity, that's how we got paint donated among other things.....
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Back to top Go down

Throwing out an idea we brainstormed on for something special next year Empty Re: Throwing out an idea we brainstormed on for something special next year

Post by Murdock00 Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:22 am

That is a cool thought actually, I would be willing to help out with this if anyone did it in the Augusta area.

Murdock00
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2013-05-22

Back to top Go down

Throwing out an idea we brainstormed on for something special next year Empty Re: Throwing out an idea we brainstormed on for something special next year

Post by bakertim2 Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:48 am

We at BKR would be up for the challenge. Nothing like giving back to the community. I'm going to pass the word around up here. Will we have a "begin date and finish date" to actually build the car for the build off? Or can we start at any time?
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:05 am

Well, once we know we have enough people that are willing to do it, I'll post the full written challenge that you could start on immediately after. We'll have to have the ending date be about two weeks or so before the show so that we can setup the auctions and get them started, but it should be about 14 months of build time once we get the interest in it....I just think it's a cool idea...if you can end up building one for free through donations and help then that's just more money going to your charity of choice. I'd just like to know if anyone will actually do it before we set it up, gotta come up with a catchy name...like, "Broke Builders Build-Off" "Vw Community Charity Build-Off" etc etc
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:42 am

If BKR is throwing their caps in the ring, then I feel a need to 'share the love', that I received! Let me know what gets rolling Tim, and I'll see what I can do to help.
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Damn-it Don wrote:If BKR is throwing their caps in the ring, then I feel a need to 'share the love', that I received! Let me know what gets rolling Tim, and I'll see what I can do to help.
I'll hold you to that Don.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:08 pm

bakertim2 wrote:
Damn-it Don wrote:If BKR is throwing their caps in the ring, then I feel a need to 'share the love', that I received! Let me know what gets rolling Tim, and I'll see what I can do to help.
I'll hold you to that Don.

A BKR build with a Don Hall Mural or window etching!!!! I already see a frontrunner for highest selling build!!!! Shocked
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:52 am

Yup, and if I get started right away, I think I'll have it done in time!
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Bugg Life is up for the challenge I'm going to start looking for a cool project
DOODLE BUGG
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1643
Registration date : 2008-12-01

http://bugglife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:07 pm

That's two teams...Bugg Life and BKR. Like I said, just wanna get maybe 4 or 5, maybe some of the clubs would be interested...the theory is you get into your local communities, let them know about the build off, the charity you're doing it for and get people involved. What worked well for us was just spreading the word that we were looking for parts sponsors...we made a parts list with prices and let people pick stuff and say, "I'll pay 25 dollars to sponsor that part" etc etc. You'd be amazed how well that works. I'll give this a few weeks and setup a full list of rules, etc for the build off challenge if we get a couple of more people interested!
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Do Work 93YJ Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:41 pm

I'm really gonna consider this over the next couple weeks. I'd love to roll another Bug build out of my shop specially for a good cause.
Do Work 93YJ
Do Work 93YJ
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:20 pm

Awesome...I'm working on some final details and I'll post the full thought out idea with rules, plan, etc in the next two weeks.  That would make three shops, three charities that would benefit.  The cool part is if each shop contacts local papers, etc to tell them what you're doing it raises awareness for the charity and also for your auction when it comes up....Most papers/local TV love stories like this, might help cut some of the personal cost to each shop
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down