Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unique use for restoring VW's. Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith

+3
VW12step
Goped406
dlandvw3
7 posters

Go down

Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith Empty Unique use for restoring VW's. Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith

Post by dlandvw3 Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:18 am

http://www.cnjonline.com/articles/transitions-39704-bug-work.html

Two guys that met randomly because of a radio interview thousands of miles away. John is a youth minister who runs a youth ministry called Bugs 4 Christ. He works with teenagers showing them how to restore old VW's and talks to them about lessons on life and religion while they learn about the cars. They give away the cars to people in need after they are done restoring them. They were going on a mission trip to New Mexico over the summer to restore a Bug in a week and give it to a family on the Indian Reservation they were going to. That's how they met Jack Quaif, who owns a VW Restoration shop in Clovis. He heard a radio interview with John on KLove Radio, and found a number to call him. Now the two are working together, thousands of miles apart, to save old cars, fix them up and give them away.

Mr. Jack is an inspiration, and John Albrycht is married to my cousin. These guys are doing some amazing work, and if anybody wants more info on it please let me know. This isn't something asking for anything, just sharing some good work being done for a good reason. It's a pretty cool article to read.

Last edited by dlandvw3 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Back to top Go down

Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith Empty Re: Unique use for restoring VW's. Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith

Post by Goped406 Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:30 am

Very cool Very Happy
Goped406
Goped406
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Back to top Go down

Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith Empty Re: Unique use for restoring VW's. Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith

Post by VW12step Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:15 am

Nice. Is there information on what they are building here in GA? It would be nice to go down and lend a hand from time to time.
VW12step
VW12step
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:36 am

http://www.bugs4christ.webs.com/

This is the website for the youth ministry. We also have a facebook page setup here:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=107381035966080&ref=ts

John has several things he could use good help on including a couple of Ghias and a couple of bugs. His contact info is on the the website, feel free to call him and see what help he needs. They love getting extra help whenever possible.

And a side note, I'm an X-Ray Tech, and your avatar is awesome!
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by adams77 Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:56 am

I have always wanted to do something like that.

I fixed up a 73 super in the spring of '09 and sold it to fund a mission trip to Zambia.

If anyone is interested in starting something like this locally please let me know.

adams77
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:24 am

adams77 wrote:I have always wanted to do something like that.

I fixed up a 73 super in the spring of '09 and sold it to fund a mission trip to Zambia.

If anyone is interested in starting something like this locally please let me know.

If you really are interested in starting something like this, John is the man to talk to. This has been a labor of love for him for the past 5 or 6 years and he loves to share his story and the ideas of it to anyone interested.

He does the same thing. He fixes up some of the old one's to fund projects and gives away some, just depends on the needs at the time. It's a very uplifting thing to work on these projects and I try to jump in and help as much as I can. I head his way once a week or so if possible just to see what he needs help on.
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith Empty Help Needed!

Post by Bugs4Christ Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:24 pm

Our main purpose is to mentor teenagers and college students in their faith. If anyone is interested in helping Bugs4Christ we would welcome the help.

We are currently working on a 76 Westy, 71 Super Beetle, 74 Baja, 72 Super Beetle, and a 72 Squareback. We also have a shortened and chopped 75 beetle that is our next project.

Our immediate needs are for a wire-feed welder and someone who can make a 34 pict carb work. 2 of them will be painted in the next two weeks so we will be working on re-assembly for the next month.

I am going into unchartered territory with the 76 Westy. If anyone is available on Wednesday night we sure could use some direction!

I can be reached by cell at 478-297-7180

John Albrycht, Bugs4Christ
Bugs4Christ
Bugs4Christ
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by peregrine67 Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:33 pm

Bugs4Christ wrote:I am going into unchartered territory with the 76 Westy. If anyone is available on Wednesday night we sure could use some direction!
I'm by no means an expert but I'd be glad to share what I've learned while getting my '76 Westy back on the road.
Read the thread I've been posting. Hopefully it will help.

I could possibly come down on a Saturday to help out but Wednesday nights would be a bit of a drive...
peregrine67
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1343
Registration date : 2010-01-27

http://freephilosophicaldiscussions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Here's a few pictures of three of the projects. The 73 Square was my daily drive through 2 years of Radiology Tech school, so now it's getting some much needed love so she can be driven to all of the events we try to support

Then there's the Beast, Stubby, the Monstrosity, whatever you want to call this short little thing. It's bagged on all 4, and the hydraulics work! There's a nice skull on the dash that's actually a pressurized nozzle for tea/drinks, whatever to fill up from the windshield wiper resevoir. This thing could be really fun in parades!

The Westy is the newest addition...a great scrapyard find for 300 dollars!! It's pretty complete and is just amazing to us that it's in such good shape and was going to be crushed the week we got it.

I'll take pictures of the other projects Wednesday night I hope

Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith 8e33f398613219 Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith 32d72998613220 Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith C19a2e98613221 Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith 9c205998613222 Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith 5e014c98613223Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith 795e7d98601484 Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith Faeb2a98601485 Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith 1b077798601487 Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith 4e571e98601491 Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith E513a498601493 Unique use for restoring VW's.  Using VW's as a tool for learning and faith 9e2dfa98601496
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:26 am

were are you located address if its not to far i might come
DOODLE BUGG
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1643
Registration date : 2008-12-01

http://bugglife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:06 am

DOODLE BUGG wrote:were are you located address if its not to far i might come

If you're in Covington it's about 50 miles south of you in Gray, GA. The easiest way would be to take 212 south to Hwy 11 through Monticello and into Gray. I'll let John post the address cause I don't know his address off the top of my head...I just get in my car and drive there LOL
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugs4Christ Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:04 am

The address is 304 North Cross Road, Gray, GA 31032. It is easy to get to from highway 11. Would be great if you could come help.
Bugs4Christ
Bugs4Christ
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by VW12step Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:55 am

dlandvw3 wrote:And a side note, I'm an X-Ray Tech, and your avatar is awesome!

Feel free to "borrow" it...I did!
VW12step
VW12step
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Wed May 04, 2011 7:58 pm

I hope y'all don't mind, I'm gonna start sharing some of the object lessons and things we talk about in our weekly meeting for Bugs 4 Christ. Feel free to leave feedback, comments, etc...we love to talk. This one I've copied straight from my facebook page:

I'm not telling you that you HAVE to......but.....

So Saturday, myself and two guys from Bugs4Christ, James Grier and Mr. Quitman, all decided to load up in my Squareback and drive up to McDonough for a VW Cruise-In at the Sonic. We had a blast and met some wonderful VW owners, saw some amazing looking cars and in general had a fantastic time. Something very funny happened just after we started our trip and I'll explain it and the little correlation I made between it and the things we do in Bugs4Christ.

For those that are unfamiliar with VW's the rear seat has springs and is loaded with horsehair type material for cushion. The Battery and battery cables are under the rear seat. As time wears the springs out, if someone sits on the springs, they can possibly sink down enough to touch both positive and negative terminals and heat up the springs to start a fire. Ok, not a common thing, but it's just something that you know is a possibility. You keep this from happening by covering the terminals with rubber of some kind to insulate them.

Ok, back to what happened. Mr. Quitman sat in the back, and he was sitting on the passenger side which is where the battery is located. I just casually spoke up as we were riding on I-75 at about 60 MPH and said, "Mr. Quitman, I'm not telling you that you HAVE to move, HOWEVER, if your butt starts to get hot, tell me because you're sitting on top of the battery and that means your seat is on fire" I don't think I've seen a grown man switch sides in a car so fast in all my life! We were all laughing about it for most of the day.

I was telling this story at the Bugs4Christ meeting tonight and we were all laughing about it, and one of the guys shared a story about his seat doing just that and catching on fire. Well, it got me to thinking. You go to Church, you read the Bible,you study it, you learn it, you know it. I've never had a preacher say this to me, but I can see how it's good advice now....."I'm not telling you that you HAVE to read the Bible, and I'm not telling you that you HAVE to do the things in it that you should do, HOWEVER, if you don't read it, you don't follow it, and your butt starts to get hot...I'd tell somebody, because chances are, you're headed to Hell!" I couldn't help but laugh as I thought about it....that would be some honesty being spoken right there!
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down