Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classic VW insurance.

+9
39coupe
ASBug
camch
Bugman114
zabo
BKiller
buggin70
meinvw
Muffler Bearing
13 posters

Go down

Classic VW insurance. Empty Classic VW insurance.

Post by Muffler Bearing Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:30 am

We always chat about or VWs but this has never been a subject(as far as I know) but never Insurance...........
I have been with State Farm for 15 years now and one day I figured I would give HAGARTY a call and see if they would insure my Bug. Sure enough they would. I was paying $240 every 6Mo.(1 and 1/2 years) with SF and the covrage was Liability Uninsured motorist and comp with a 200 Dollar ded. Well...... I got FULL coverage from HAGARTY for $124 for the entire year!!! Also we have an agreed value of my Bug and if it is a loss that IS what I get for it....No BS!! I just wanted to put this out there just in case some of you can save some $$$. I was very suprised and I wish I would have done it sooner.
Muffler Bearing
Muffler Bearing
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Classic VW insurance. Empty Re: Classic VW insurance.

Post by meinvw Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:05 pm

Hagarty is great, just read your fine print. Usually with the classic insurance it needs to be in a garage. And its secondary insurance, you must have a newer car with full coverage as a dd to get this. They insure secondary cars so watch the limits/regs and other bs. Definatly cheaper but they quote on your car as a secondary/plesure vehicle. If something happened on your way to work they might decline the claim since its a pleasure vs dd.
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by buggin70 Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:12 pm

mines 30 a moth for full coverage
buggin70
buggin70
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:27 pm

Thru Hagerty mein insurance is about $550 a year. But thats 2 westies, my parts, my tools and everything at the shop related to vw's. They will not do my 88 panel since its a newer vdub. But thats cheaper than just the campers via progressive, just my panel is almost $400 a year liability only. Our new beetle is fully insured and my panel is on the policy as a dd, so again watch out if you use them for a dd. They are insurance for secondary vehicle aka "Collector" car. All is good till you have a claim, then they are just like any other insurance and will look for ways to not pay.
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by BKiller Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:52 pm

I have Haggerty on the SP2. It fits all the requirements since I don't drive it very often and it lives in the garage or basement when not on the road.
BKiller
BKiller
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 687
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffler Bearing Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:55 pm

Yea..I answered the qustions truthfully and had to prove I have a DD. So in my case it worked out very well. I am shopping around for my DD now.
Muffler Bearing
Muffler Bearing
Dub Crazy

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:46 pm

i have mine through American Collectors - comparable to haggarty but i was able to get a slightly better deal.
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffler Bearing Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:29 pm

Just hope someone sees this and is able to save me some money like me. Better late than never.
Muffler Bearing
Muffler Bearing
Dub Crazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:18 pm

Anyone have any suggestions for daily driver insurance? i'm paying about $160 a month for my 72 as my daily, and my 74 as my recreational/ pleasure car. also i'm 21, and had one accident about 1.5 years ago (cop said it was my fault, even tho it WASN'T Evil or Very Mad , but i'll save that for the rants, lol). Any suggestions, or is that about as good as its gonna get till i'm 25?
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffler Bearing Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:38 pm

I suggest trying the same Co. you have your home owners policy with if you have homeowners. I am going to call mine in the AM. Liberty mutual. I heard Electric???? or Electric Co.? is pretty low. (I heard from one of my dad's friends today for his DDs Ill let you know about Lib Mut.)
Muffler Bearing
Muffler Bearing
Dub Crazy

Back to top Go down

Post by camch Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:30 pm

i have collecter car insurance on my 73 and we also agreed on a value, and i pay 12.00 a a month through state farm
camch
camch
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://yubuggin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffler Bearing Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:28 am

camch wrote:i have collecter car insurance on my 73 and we also agreed on a value, and i pay 12.00 a a month through state farm

I have a perfect MVR but I am only 32 years old. Maybe that has something to do with it?? I spoke with Hagarty and she said SF has a "stated value" but they(Hagarty) have a "Guranteed Value". In the fine print the payout could be lower with SF if they find the same car for sale locally at a lower price. I know she is a salesperson but I already have a policy and they are saving ME alot of green so I do not think she would try to feed me a line @ this point. My Dad has the "stated Value" of 23k and for some reason they would not take his 32k appraisal on his Chevelle and it has made him a little nervious.

Once again this is what works best for me and may not be what is best for anyone else but maybe it will help someone down the line.

Ps. I forgot to mention I have a $0 ded. Hope it helps someone. Smile
Muffler Bearing
Muffler Bearing
Dub Crazy

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:44 am

I have haggerty, had the policy 3 months and someone backed into the ASBug at a show / shine (they left...). Gave me NO grief, sent over an estimator and I had a check within 10 days.
I will never "shop around" after this experience.
I also have the towing through them "gold package - 120 miles free"
They used to have a 3 tow a year limit, now it is unlimited. I have never towed a classic car, but I did have to use it 3 times in 2009 (all the "newer" stuff...)
KC
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:38 am

ASBug wrote:I have haggerty, had the policy 3 months and someone backed into the ASBug at a show / shine (they left...). Gave me NO grief, sent over an estimator and I had a check within 10 days.
I will never "shop around" after this experience.
I also have the towing through them "gold package - 120 miles free"
They used to have a 3 tow a year limit, now it is unlimited. I have never towed a classic car, but I did have to use it 3 times in 2009 (all the "newer" stuff...)
KC

I use Haggerty for my '39 Chevy and '65 Mustang. Haven't had to make a claim yet, but I also have the towing package and have used it for the newer calls also - not the classics. But there was no hassle at all with getting the cars towed.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 455
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by 68buggirrl Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:41 pm

I have Gieco and pay $72 a month, Although it is under me as a individual and not through parents lol.

I was thinking about Hagretys but needed another car. Razz
68buggirrl
68buggirrl
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2010-03-20

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/bimmergirrl

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:57 am

68buggirrl wrote:I have Gieco and pay $72 a month, Although it is under me as a individual and not through parents lol.

I was thinking about Hagretys but needed another car. Razz
gieco was killing my pocket when i swaped incurance from my ghia to my van it went up 150 every 6 months an it just had libelty the cheapest thing i could get so we went to farm bureau and have colectors on my 67 an comprohensive on the bus since its my dayly driver they said it would cover if i hit a deer cause thats my problem were i live
DOODLE BUGG
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1643
Registration date : 2008-12-01

http://bugglife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Rally Inusrance covers my cars. One of the few companies that will cover a buggy. The company is run by a bunch of hot rod guys and they understand collector insurance. 8K of coverage on the bus with unlimited miles and full coverage for the wifes PT cruiser for less than Geico would cover the bus with liability. Also have 7k of coverage for the buggy with 3k a year on mileage for $111.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:42 pm

I use Classic Auto Insurance. When I called Hagarty, they had a 3k mile/year limit, though that may have changed since then. Classic lets you pick the mileage and adjusts your premium accordingly. I went with a 6k mile/year limit. I put on about 4700 miles last year so I still have mileage room for more shows/outings this year.

fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down