Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lets Talk Carburetors

4 posters

Go down

Lets Talk Carburetors Empty Lets Talk Carburetors

Post by rpm750 Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:47 am

I'm not sure which way to go with the dual carb set up on my stock 1600DP.
aircooledaddicts wrote:
rpm750 wrote:Gary can the vents be changed to a 40mm. I would like dual carbs for my newly rebuilt 1585(1600DP). I think 44's would be to big for a stock 1600.

Sorry but I missed your post somehow. These can be choked down a lot. You could put 28mm Veturies in them and put smaller main jets in them and probably be o.k. I think you would be happier running some smaller carbs though (Weber 34 ICT)

I here what you're saying Gary with the dual 34ITC's. (Another Post - Reply Above). I've found a set on eBay for around $350, they are new and I feel like they might be better also. If I got to any dual carb set up will I need an Electric pump or will a stock mechanical work? Couple things I'm concerned about is reliability and economy. I'm getting good mileage now and the Solex 34 carb seems to be doing great. On the reliability side how well will dual carbs do in cold weather? Even with my deck lid in the stock position (on stand offs) during the winter (12-16 deg mornings) it iced a bit. Will the dual carb set up perform better or worse in those conditions?
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Lets Talk Carburetors Empty Re: Lets Talk Carburetors

Post by bumblebuggy Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:36 am

Stock pump should work. Sometimes you have to run a regulator to bring the pressure down. You'll probably be happy with the 34s. 40mm or less on any engine that is smaller than a 1776. Single barrel carbs are the way to go on a driver. They're easier to tune and sync. Icing should not be a problem. The manifolds are bolted right to the heads and will warm up quick. If you're icing now you either have an after market exhaust or your intake manifold is fouled up and not providing heat to the carb. The key to duals and winter is to make sure the cabs have chokes so they'll run with minimal warm up. Otherwise you'll have to sit in the car on cold mornings waiting for it to warm up before the thing will run right. You 'll never get the mileage out of dauls thet you do out of a single but you can tune and jet them to be very respectable. Plus, with the extra power, it's going to be tough to stay out of the pedal. Twisted Evil
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by aircooledaddicts Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:47 am

No you will not need a electric fuel pump. I ran dual 34's on Baxter and a mechanical fuel pump with no problems. I did not run a regulator either. It will be a cold natured set up because they do not have chokes but it really isn't that big of a deal. Mine warmed up pretty quick. You will still get good gas mileage I think. My mileage stayed around 25-30 depending on how and where I drove it. I will tell you that you won't notice some huge improvement in power. Unless you plan on going bigger on your engine later I would just stick with what you have. On a 1600 or 1641 I like the simplicity of a stock carb for my daily driver.
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:04 am

aircooledaddicts wrote:I did not run a regulator either.

No need if your pump isn't pushing too much pressure. This is one of the cases where each car is different. It changes from car to car. You can also get Kads with chokes and tapped for a vac dizzy.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by 59suicide Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:07 am

this is how I chose my carb set up, these articles have loads of good information.

Carburetors 101
59suicide
59suicide
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down