Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone use POR-15 ????

3 posters

Go down

Anyone use POR-15 ???? Empty Anyone use POR-15 ????

Post by petervalle Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:18 pm

I have cut half the floor of my 69 van. I want to treat all the crossmember of the cargo area before I weld the replacement floor pieces. Maybe someone has any suggestions.
petervalle
petervalle
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Anyone use POR-15 ???? Empty Re: Anyone use POR-15 ????

Post by bumblebuggy Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:22 pm

There are two rust paints I've used. POR is one and Rust Bullet is the other.

Here's my breakdown.

POR seems to be a good product. The paint is very hard once it cures. It comes in pint cans which is the best way to purchase them. Get the six packs of pints because, once you open it, you either use it all or count on throwing the remainder away. POR goes on thin and a small ammount will go a long way. If you brush it on the brush strokes go away as the paint dries. POR requires a top coat for any portion that will be in sunlight. UV light breaks it down. I put a small ammount on a Jeep hood and after a year or so it oxodized (or seemed to) but no rust came back through. I've coated the entire pan of my dune buggy with it and no rust has returned after three years. But my pan has never left the garage yet.

Rust bullet is a thicker paint than POR. It's best applied with a roller or something similar and the brush strokes remain. Its a silver/grey color and requires no topcoat. I painted the entire interior and drip rails of my bus with it and I have yet to see any rust show back up after 2 1/2 years of daily driving in all weather condidtions. It requires less surface prep than POR and doesn't seem to dry as hard.

Of the two products I prefer the Rust Bullet for ease of application and the fact that Summit Racing here in McDonough has it in stock and saves me the shipping. It comes in quart or gallon containers and can be resealed once you open the can. I'm lazy and that's the main reason I prefer the Rust Bullet. POR seems better if you are going for a higher quality finish or planned on topcoating.

Hope that helps.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:35 pm

I have not used Por-15, but I used the masterseries line of coatings when I replaced the pans in the 74. The application and properties, (sensitivity to UV) are very similar to the Por products. The things that attracted me to the masterseries product was that the prep didn't seem to be as critical as the Por, and that Chuck, (the guy who sells masterseries, is a VW guy and uses the product on his personal projects) I think all the products mentioned Por,rust bullet, and masterseries all do a pretty good job for what they were designed to do, with the only real differences being price and ease of application. Here is a link to Chuck's Samba ad with a little more technical info on his product: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=564132
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by petervalle Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:41 am

Thank you very much guys, great information. I appreciate the fact that you guys took the time to write all that info. I am going with the rust bullet from Summit racing. I think it would require less effort and I can buy it at the store.
I am cutting through the van real quick and I want to do all the coatings while I have easy access to everything.
I started using a wire brush with the die grinder to take most of the heavy rust out and then I'll coat the entire bottom of the van with rust bullet. I am going all the way with this stuff. I don't want to mess with rust any more in that area.
I'll post pictures soon.
petervalle
petervalle
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum