Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage GA Tags

+10
cylops80
ibjamn
zabo
sploval53
Damn-it Don
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
fluxcap
71_georgia_beetle
39coupe
panic_fan
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Vintage GA Tags Empty Vintage GA Tags

Post by panic_fan Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:28 am

Anyone running an older GA license tag? I am bidding on a 1970 tag on ebay. Just wondering what kind of hoops you have to drive thru to register it? Thanks!
panic_fan
panic_fan
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Vintage GA Tags Empty Re: Vintage GA Tags

Post by 39coupe Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:45 am

Very easy. I just did mine a month ago for my '65. I just took the 1965 vintage tag into the tag office with the form that you can find online and fill out. They looked at it, did something on their system, signed the form I brought in and said - there you go. You can put the vintage tag on the car but must keep your current tag in the car with the signed form. If you get stopped you have to show the office the current tag with current sticker and the form.

Last edited by 39coupe on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 455
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:52 am

Hold the phone!!!!!!!!!!!! I was told by the tag dept that this could be done so I found a 71 tag on ebay. I ordered it, received it and gave it a shine. I arrived at the tag office with a smile, shiny tag, my two year old and stood in line for an hour to find out that the cut off was changed to 1968 in February of this year.

Check before you go. No
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:24 am

According to GA code, 1970 is the cutoff, so unfortunately you are still out of luck. I think whoever told you 1968 was wrong. There was legislation introduced this year to change it from 1970 to "twenty five years or older" It passed the house, but never passed the senate.

If you are interested you can view the proposed bill here
Scroll down until you see the versions. Versions 1, 2, and 3 all deal with the historical plates. These versions never passed so the bill became something totally different, Version 4, which never passed either.

The current official code section for this law (according to lexus nexus) is below. Whoever applies for a YOM tag may want to print this out and take it to the tag office and keep a copy in the car:

40-2-41.1. Authentic historical Georgia license plates.

Statute text
(a) As used in this Code section, the term "authentic historical Georgia license plate" means a license plate originally issued in the year 1970 or earlier and originally required to be displayed on motor vehicles operated upon the streets and highways of this state in the year 1970 or earlier pursuant to former motor vehicle registration laws of this state.
(b) The owner of any antique motor vehicle manufactured in 1970 or earlier shall be authorized to display in lieu of and in the same manner as the license plate otherwise required under Code Section 40-2-41 an authentic historical Georgia license plate which clearly represents the model year of any such antique motor vehicle, provided that the owner has properly registered such antique motor vehicle for the current year as otherwise required under this chapter and has obtained a current Georgia license plate or revalidation decal for such antique motor vehicle. Such currently valid Georgia license plate shall be kept in such antique motor vehicle at all times but need not be displayed in a manner to be visible from outside the vehicle.
(c) For purposes of this Code section, the authentic historical Georgia license plate shall be furnished by the owner of any such antique motor vehicle.
(d) No later than January 1, 2006, the commissioner shall have installed within the department's computer information system applicable to the registration of motor vehicles the necessary program which will include in the information relating to the current Georgia license plate or revalidation decal issued for an antique motor vehicle the information relating to the authentic historical Georgia license plate authorized to be displayed on such antique motor vehicle.

History
(Code 1981, § 40-2-41.1, enacted by Ga. L. 1999, p. 791, § 2; Ga. L. 2001, p. 1021, § 2; Ga. L. 2002, p. 415, § 40; Ga. L. 2005, p. 593, § 1/SB 117.)

Last edited by fluxcap on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:31 am

1970 is the current cut off. One of the guys in the Aircooled Addicts has a 70 and he just did his vintage tag about 4 months ago.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by panic_fan Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:34 am

Thanks everyone. Looks Like I just squeaked by. I called the henry co tag office and they told me as long as you have a vehicle from 1970 or older you qualified.
Bonus, I won my tag I was bidding on for $1!!!
panic_fan
panic_fan
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:44 am

panic_fan wrote:Thanks everyone. Looks Like I just squeaked by. I called the henry co tag office and they told me as long as you have a vehicle from 1970 or older you qualified.
Bonus, I won my tag I was bidding on for $1!!!

Good deal - Mine was $10 + shipping.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:50 am

If anyone needs one restored I can do it or I can tell you how. It is very easy.
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:51 am

Yeah, I've bought a couple for my 62 off of Ebay. I got the first one about 2 years ago for 15+5shipping. Recieved it and was happy with it, but wished it was in better shape. Got another about a year ago for 15+5shipping. This one is in much better shape. So I have spent about $40 so far. $1+shipping sounds like a darn good deal!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:14 pm

I've had one for my '68 for almost 2 yrs I guess. It was easy to register, but be warned..... I find I get pulled over A LOT for running it on the back. The officers claim they have never heard of the provision for these tags. Rolling Eyes I've never been issued a citation for it (of course) and when it is checked in the records, the '68 tag AND my regular issue tag are listed for my car. Just a heads up! Very Happy
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by panic_fan Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:13 pm

Thanks Don, I will keep that in mind. Maybe I will only use the vintage tag for shows. Dont wanna take any chances getting stopped on the way home from a concert or something!
panic_fan
panic_fan
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by sploval53 Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:13 pm

o k i am looking for a 53 tag for the sploval any one got one???
sploval53
sploval53
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:26 pm

http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/usa/US_GAXX.html
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:47 am

hers on might not be passenger tho - kinda rough

you might try giving this guy a call he has a large collection
Tommy Gilbert 404 281 3128
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ibjamn Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:25 pm

Got a question about registering the vintage tags....
If your car has had a tag for a while, can you just find a tag later on and have it registered to the vehicle at any time?

ibjamn
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:27 pm

ibjamn wrote:Got a question about registering the vintage tags....
If your car has had a tag for a while, can you just find a tag later on and have it registered to the vehicle at any time?

Yup you can register the yom tag at any time
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by ibjamn Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:45 pm

Sweet....
though, it would be cooler if we could get a personalized vintage tag that correspond to the YOM

ibjamn
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by cylops80 Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:28 pm

I've got my 66 tag registered this week!
cylops80
cylops80
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Cambur Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:56 pm

cylops80 wrote:I've got my 66 tag registered this week!

just be careful around police... I had a state trooper pull me over bout 3 weeks ago because i had an "illegal tag on my car", actually he came over his loudspeaker and said i Quote "You better have a legal tag on that car next time i see it, son" so i waved him over, he got out and said that both he and i knew i that my car wasn't a 55 model, when I explained to him that this info came as a surprise to me, he proceeded to inform me he thought it was 79 affraid ... and after running my registration he came back and stated that he had never heard of YOM tags being legal, and if i wished to keep my tag on the car, be prepared to get pulled over...often. but this was the first time i was pulled over in the year that i have been running the tag.

I really think they should be more informed on these thing as it is they're job, and they are getting paid to do it.

and i may have just seemed like a 19 year old punk cruising in a slammed 79 to him, but i deserve a little more respect than "SON"

Rant now over... Laughing
Cambur
Cambur
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by buggin70 Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:06 pm

59 Euro Rag wrote:
cylops80 wrote:I've got my 66 tag registered this week!

just be careful around police... I had a state trooper pull me over bout 3 weeks ago because i had an "illegal tag on my car", actually he came over his loudspeaker and said i Quote "You better have a legal tag on that car next time i see it, son" so i waved him over, he got out and said that both he and i knew i that my car wasn't a 55 model, when I explained to him that this info came as a surprise to me, he proceeded to inform me he thought it was 79 affraid ... and after running my registration he came back and stated that he had never heard of YOM tags being legal, and if i wished to keep my tag on the car, be prepared to get pulled over...often. but this was the first time i was pulled over in the year that i have been running the tag.

I really think they should be more informed on these thing as it is they're job, and they are getting paid to do it.

and i may have just seemed like a 19 year old punk cruising in a slammed 79 to him, but i deserve a little more respect than "SON"

Rant now over... Laughing

i cant believe he thought it was a 79
buggin70
buggin70
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by ibjamn Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:16 pm

95% of my experience with the god-squad ended up badly.... and gwinnett..... and dekalb..... nevermind... No

ibjamn
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:38 pm

ibjamn wrote:95% of my experience with the god-squad ended up badly.... and gwinnett..... and dekalb..... nevermind... No

i feel you wit that right there Mad Mad Mad
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by vwgirl Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:23 am

You would never be able to go past 75 on YOM tags anyway... I don't know why they bothered to cut it off at 70 when they only go to 75... you use to be able to run a 75 plate on a later model so long as you had the correct year sticker... which I have for my 78... but ce'st la vie... I've had YOM tags in a box for more than a decade and never bothered to register them... mostly because in FL you have to mail them to Tallahassee to have them approved and they have to be in mint condition and never issued.

vwgirl
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:31 am

Can I ask what's YOM plates?
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:07 am

56HAVOC wrote:Can I ask what's YOM plates?

No you can't! Razz
Year
Of
Manufacture

They are just talking about the license plates like you and I have. Your 56 plate and my 62 plate.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next