Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sooo,it starts again.

5 posters

Go down

Sooo,it starts again. Empty Sooo,it starts again.

Post by Spook Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:24 pm

This car hates me. I got the engine tuned properly after a few days and had been driving it for a couple days. It seemed like the clutch was slipping a little so I parked it until I had time to play with the adjustment. Something came up and my sister needed a ride home(about 30miles) so I decided it would be okay to drive it "as is" just this once. Halfway there it started slipping badly. By the time I got to her house it was much worse. I got ready to leave and reversed out of her driveway into the street and then it happened. It was stuck. Wouldnt go into neutral but wouldnt go forward or reverse either...strange. In a panic I shifted around like mad until finally I managed to get it in 3rd. Now it is stuck in 3rd and wont move. I ended up driving all the way back home in 3rd and it now sits. I have taken a couple days off from working on it due to my frustration . I need to be clear headed when I go back into this thing. Any suggestions where I should start looking for the problem? Gonna try my luck repairing it today. Evil or Very Mad
Spook
Spook
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-06-13

Back to top Go down

Sooo,it starts again. Empty Re: Sooo,it starts again.

Post by fluxcap Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:46 pm

sorry dude, you just aren't having much luck!

A few things to look at for issues shifting into gear:
-are you having trouble finding gears with both the engine off and on?

-check the shift coupler (under the rear seat bottom, you'll have to remove the inspection cover). This connects the gear shift to the gear selector in the transmission. If this is loose or falling apart it would prevent you from finding gears. but it wouldn't explain the slipping.

-Have somebody operate the clutch pedal while you are under the car watching the clutch arm on the side of the transmission. Is the arm moving a decent amount? If not, you could have a clutch cable that is stretching (broken), or you could have broken a weld on the clutch cable tube. Or the hook on the end of the clutch pedal could be breaking.

Slipping:
-Do you possibly have the clutch wing nut adjusted to tight?
-Leaking any oil or trans fluid from the space between the engine and transmission?
-May need to pull the engine and check the throw-out bearing, pressure plate, and clutch.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by camch Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Take the plug out of the side of the transmission and see if you see a piece going down if so gently with a screwdriver move it back and forth till it moves
camch
camch
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://yubuggin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:24 pm

It looks like its leaking oil between the transmission and engine. There is oil on everything. I guess this means my case is worn out? at this point I just want to fix it and get rid of it. I am going to pull the engine and put one of my old engines in it. Just want this car gone asap.
Spook
Spook
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:06 pm

What kind of oil? It could be leaking from the engine OR the transmission. could be as simple as a new main seal or trans seal to fix.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:58 pm

I think its engine oil. Its hard to tell. The main seal has been replaced twice
Spook
Spook
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:04 am

Transmission oil has a rotten egg smell to it.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Its engine oil and its severe

Spook
Spook
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:20 am

If your main seal has been replaced twice and it's engine oil. It's most likely leaking from the cam plug or you've got a serious issue in the short block somewhere.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:32 pm

I did read somewhere it could be the cam plug or the seam where the case fits together. Engine is coming backout this weekend. Btw I have no idea what a cam plug is.
Or how to check it.
Update I now know what a can plug is...will check when I pull the engine.
Spook
Spook
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:49 am

Cam Plug hole is shown in this picture. It's the one with the RTV around it.
Sooo,it starts again. 4177045969_be3f1eab77_o
This guy had a rubber cam plug in his motor. I think the only way to repair a leaky cam plug is to split the case. You might be able to get away with just slapping some RTV around it but It's an awful lot of work to pull the motor again if it doesn't fix the leak.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Just a little update. This whole ordeal kinda killed my renewed interest in aircooled. Trying to figure out where to go from here. I think I am going to sell everything I have over the coming months. Just not feeling it anymore. My life is to hectic right now for something that requires constant maintenance. I should have pulled my motor again by now but I am sick of working on the car and just want nothing to do with it. Probably my last post here other than the classifieds,maybe I can hook some of you up with some parts. Thanks sincerely for all the help though I never take for granted that som
e of you guys spent alot of time trying to help a fellow dubber.
Spook
Spook
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by sploval53 Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:57 am

Man that sucks. Letting one bad Apple spoil the bunch. Hope everything goes well.
sploval53
sploval53
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 pm

Well after some time off from this nightmare I started working on it and found some things. The engine oil is leaking from the base of the oil cooler.Its running down and in between the motor and trans. Checked all the bushing for shift rod= GOOD. Found some loose screws at the CV to trans where it was leaking. Checked trans fluid and was practically none. I think the transaxel burned up.Not sure though...it was shifting good and quiet that last day I drove it. Anyway, I pulled the trans and the nose cone. Anyway I can test it out of the car?
Spook
Spook
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down