Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper

2 posters

Go down

**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper Empty **How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:43 pm

#1 Tape off the entire inside of the window frame with a low adhesive, auto or painters tape. This will prevent the inevitable scratches.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8661
#2 Pry out on the crank handle cover to release. You can use a screw driver but your fingers in the weakest "middle" section work just fine.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8662
#3 Take out the center screw and remove the handle.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8663
#4 Remove the two screws that secure the door handle, pull out slightly and twist inward to remove.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8664
#5 Use a flat screwdriver to remove the finger cup of the door handle and then a phillips to remove the handle trim.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8665
#6 Use a flat screwdriver or panel clip removal tool to release the panel.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8666
#7 Carefully peel down the vapor barrier. If you do not have them, this would be a good time to install.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8667
#8 Using a 10mm wrench or socket, release the window from the regulator. (2) bolts.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8668
#9 Pry out the inner scraper. Careful not to bend the wire out of shape.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8669
#10 Pry out the felt channel. This should be a one piece unis that runs from the vent window, out to the back of the door and down inside the door. There might be a 10mm bolt holding down the bottom near the lock.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8670
#10a Once released, slide it up and out of the door.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8671
#11 Remove the vent window secure screw.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8672
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8673
#12 The next step is difficult to document. Pull the window glass and the vent window back towards the lock side of the door so that the vent window clears the frame. Next, pull the vent window in slightly towards the vehicle. At the same time with the vent window on the outside of the frame, push it towards the front of the vehicle and rocking back and forth, pull up about 2". Once this is done the glass can clear the frame and be removed. Next, pull straight up to remove the vent assembly.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8674
#13 Carefully pry out on the old scraper to release the clips.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8675
#14 Pull the old scraper towards the front of the vehicle at the same time pull down to remove.
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8676

This is a great time to get a cloth, soap and water and clean up the door panel, door frame, clean vent, etc. Lube lock, regulator, etc.

#15 When installing the new scraper, push it out so that you can see and correctly align the holes to clips. (and no that's not a dent, it's a shadow)
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8677
**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper DSC_8678

To reinstall all removed items simply turn the directions upside down! Good luck!
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper Empty Re: **How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper

Post by racecar67 Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:55 pm

I'll make a note here. Some vent windows have retaining screw in the forward upper corner. I just did mine last week. My Haynes manual even showed them. Plus you can do all the work and not pull the glass out of the top. You can leave it down in the door just take it off of the mechanism and move it down below it. cheers .
Great thread Cool
racecar67
racecar67
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-08-06

http://www.myspace.com/vwgearhead

Back to top Go down

**How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper Empty Re: **How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:25 pm

racecar67 wrote:Plus you can do all the work and not pull the glass out of the top. You can leave it down in the door just take it off of the mechanism and move it down below it. cheers .
Great thread Cool
Was this on a bus or a bug. The glass on a bus fully released only drops below the frame by 1/8", the steel backer on the scraper is 1 1/8" tall. The opening is 1" between the door and the outer skin and the clips on the scraper are 5/8" long, that coupled with the 1/4"ish thickness of the glass I not sure how I would have done it with the glass in.
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post by racecar67 Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:27 am

71_georgia_beetle wrote:
racecar67 wrote:Plus you can do all the work and not pull the glass out of the top. You can leave it down in the door just take it off of the mechanism and move it down below it. cheers .
Great thread Cool
Was this on a bus or a bug. The glass on a bus fully released only drops below the frame by 1/8", the steel backer on the scraper is 1 1/8" tall. The opening is 1" between the door and the outer skin and the clips on the scraper are 5/8" long, that coupled with the 1/4"ish thickness of the glass I not sure how I would have done it with the glass in.
70 deluxe camper. There is plenty of room to do this. I had them both change out in about 2 hours.
racecar67
racecar67
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-08-06

http://www.myspace.com/vwgearhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down