Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New guy, just got a bug, need advice

+8
Brooks424
Grifspop
Tybomb
68beetlebug
jerryg66
DiggerD
bakertim2
Alpha_Maverick
12 posters

Go down

New guy, just got a bug, need advice Empty New guy, just got a bug, need advice

Post by Alpha_Maverick Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:54 pm

Hey guys, new here. Just recently acquired a 69 bug in great condition with one exception: the floor pan under the battery. I can't weld, and I'd like to have it done by a reputable shop. Where are you guys having your pans welded in? I'm in marietta, and I was thinking about going to Tim's VW repair in Austell, but I've heard that ever since Jr. took over, it's taken a dive. Any experience? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Alpha_Maverick
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Back to top Go down

New guy, just got a bug, need advice Empty Re: New guy, just got a bug, need advice

Post by bakertim2 Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:56 pm

I'd be glad to do it for ya. I can pick up the part and install it for you for about 75-100 bucks.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

New guy, just got a bug, need advice Empty Re: New guy, just got a bug, need advice

Post by DiggerD Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:08 pm

Welcome to the forums!! cheers
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryg66 Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:09 pm

Welcome.
jerryg66
jerryg66
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by 68beetlebug Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:22 pm

Welcome!
68beetlebug
68beetlebug
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-08-26

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1506093814

Back to top Go down

Post by Tybomb Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:14 am

Welcome to the group! Hope you have really examined both pans. Had to have both of mine completely replaced when I got my 74 Standard - Gracie.
Tybomb
Tybomb
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-01-13

http://www.petessinkhers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:08 am

Welcome to Georgia Dubs! cheers
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Brooks424 Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:17 am

hello, and welcome to the dub addiction.
Brooks424
Brooks424
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2011-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post by yayarudy Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:01 pm

Wilkommen!
yayarudy
yayarudy
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

New guy, just got a bug, need advice Empty Captain Chaos!

Post by Alpha_Maverick Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:53 am

Wow. Thanks for the welcome, guys. I would have posted up again sooner, but things got crazy, and then the rear brakes gave out on my new-to-me bug, and... yeah...
The brakes are fixed now (got some air in the front wheel cylinders, and still have to get that out, but no biggie), and I (hopefully) have time to investigate which shop is best for what I need. I've not seen a lot of info in the feedback section, and I'm just trying to get a feel for the experiences that others have had. I appreciate the shops that have posted up volunteering their services, either in this thread, or via PM, but I'm really hoping to get customer feedback.

On a related note, I've discovered that my speedo is pretty far off (reads 70 when I'm doing 60, etc) I'd also like some feedback on who does good calibration work. This, I'm ok with sending out, if there's not a local place that can do it.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, and I'm glad I've joined the air-cooled cult Wink

Alpha_Maverick
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by BKiller Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:55 am

I would take Tim up on his offer for the battery tray. I hear he does great work and at a price like that, you can't argue!
BKiller
BKiller
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 687
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by yayarudy Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:16 am

I second the above motion. He lowered my car and replaced the clutch. Tim does great work and would highly recommend.
yayarudy
yayarudy
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:57 pm

Alpha_Maverick wrote:

On a related note, I've discovered that my speedo is pretty far off (reads 70 when I'm doing 60, etc) I'd also like some feedback on who does good calibration work. This, I'm ok with sending out, if there's not a local place that can do it.

)

What size tires are you running? That could be the culprit
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpha_Maverick Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:03 pm

off the top of my head, I think they're 175/65, and they're well worn. I'm sure that's -part- of the problem, but I don't think they're that far off. I won't be actually getting it calibrated until I get new tires, either way. First priority is getting the rust problems welded up, and sealed.

You guys rock, btw. Once I get the problems worked out, I'll probably come to some of the meet-ups. Would the ATL group be closest to Marietta?

Alpha_Maverick
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:08 pm

According to this, speedometer reading with non-stock tire is reading 5.7% too fast- when your speedometer is reading 60, you're going 56.6 mph

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpha_Maverick Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:10 pm

yup. been on that one. then add another couple percent for extra wear. We'll see once I get new tires on her.

Alpha_Maverick
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Mfisher21 Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:03 pm

Welcome to the site!
Mfisher21
Mfisher21
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by kokodabobo Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:37 am

if youre still needing the battery box done, i agree that tim would be the place to go. nice guy and good prices. mines in his shop now
kokodabobo
kokodabobo
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down