Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Subaru perversion who's done one?

5 posters

Go down

Subaru perversion  who's done one? Empty Subaru perversion who's done one?

Post by adams77 Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:22 pm

Picked up a westy last week, No motor or tranny but its solid (solid enough). I want an all around performer with no worries so I am opting for the 2.2 subaru swap and was wondering if anyone local has done one. There is lots of info on how to, I just wanted to see it in person.

adams77
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Subaru perversion  who's done one? Empty Subaru conversion

Post by pwmcguire Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:13 pm

I researched it alot, I couldn't see spending 700.00 to 1,000.00 dollars on a motor and even more on a ECU. You need the whole car if you plan to use the Car's ECU and then you have to figure out which wires to use on the harness or pay someone else to do it. Then you need a radiator setup. I saw a cool setup where this guy took a ford " I believe EDIS setup and put the ring and the sensor on the crank. Milled down the subaru intake and welded something like a dual dellorto intake to it and did away with the ECU, he even put nitros oxide on it. it was in a blue bug, I can't find it now but it was really cool but in the end it was way to much money for me. I managed to pick up a Rocky Mountain Motor works rebuild that sat for a year, for 500.00 dollars. I put about 2000 miles on it this summer. You could probably pick up a built up turnkey AC engine for less.
pwmcguire
pwmcguire
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Subaru perversion  who's done one? Empty Re: Subaru perversion who's done one?

Post by ultralite Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:14 am

Dusting this one off to see if anyone has done this locally since its been a while since this post.

Or, asked another way, does anyone know a local resource who could do a good job on a swap? I'd love a Subaru powered (later) Westy with air conditioning. I just don't have the time to get it done.

ultralite
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2012-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:25 am

Call the boys out west. Colorado has lots of conversions . Westys and vanagons galore.
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:32 am

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7676
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobug Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:28 am

If your pockets are deep enough Jake can do it for you in Cleveland GA. https://www.facebook.com/RabyEngines
He has engineered the whole installation to look like it came from the factory with the Subaru drivetrain.
Hobug
Hobug
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1326
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.athensvwclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ultralite Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:32 am

type4revolution wrote:Call the boys out west. Colorado has lots of conversions . Westys and vanagons galore.

I keep an eye out for Westys with the conversion already done and they're always out West it seems. But I always have this lingering question in my mind on the quality of the conversion. And while my current Westy was a long distance purchase, and it worked out well, to me it's not ideal.

Man would I ever love a Raby engine and if I ever find the right candidate of a body and chassis, that would be the route I'd take.

ultralite
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:09 pm

PPVWC Member
PPVWC Member

1971 Volkswagen Transporter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:22 am Post subject: Subaru WRX STI Engine SWAP for Sale 350+hp Reply with quote

I got this for a future Vanagon Double Cab swap - looks a few year off now with the new company, so no sense in it taking up space in the garage now!

It's a 2005 2.5L Turbocharged STi engine and accessories - (2004 and 2005 were the only ones with forged internals, as I understand it). All components included - alternator, power steering, ac, etc etc etc. These engines just like this go for $3500-5000.

Additionally, there is the ECU and wiring harness that has been completely gone through and all the non-engine stuff removed, so it is plug and play for a VW, essentially. This is usually a $500-800 service by itself. Also included is the gauge cluster from the car the engine is from.

The oil pan has been sectioned and shortened, and the pickup to match. The exhaust is very custom made out of stainless, for a VW Vanagon installation. This exhaust is an easy $1000 piece all by itself. Because of the routing, *should* work on almost any VW with little to no mods. Beetle might need different muffler location, maybe not.

The speed sensor has been adapted to a VW speedo cable unit, and more I am forgetting.

These engines are 350hp without trying, and 400-450hp with a few mods (tune, injectors, turbo) and still basically stock. Meaning 100k-200k reliability (depending on abuse level).

I am asking $5500 for a local pickup cash sale. I will be posting it on the usual forums for $6k in the near future.

type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:12 pm

if your serious and ready to piss and get off the pot here is the beast. Look it up on the other stuff for sale list at PPVWC
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ultralite Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Well, I'm still up against the no time to get it done factor not to mention I don't have the "canvas" yet for such a project. (Though an Adventurewagen has caught my eye).

At this point I'd like to find resources (shop) I can use when I do find the right vehicle.

ultralite
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:37 am

Sources are right here bro.
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum