Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thank a Vet!

Go down

Thank a Vet! Empty Thank a Vet!

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:47 pm

I originally posted this on our Athens site but thought it deserved a place here as well.

Many thanks for all that you do to keep other like me safe at home.

Quick story. I was a system engineer for Maytag and for several years I traveled 32 weeks out of the year. I would arrive home on Saturday morning, wash my clothes and hop a flight out Sunday to teach a class on Monday morning. During my travels in, out and through Atlanta I have met an uncountable amount of soldiers. I, reasons unknown, have always had a soft spot for those in the armed forces. I made it a point to shake their hands, welcome them home and thank them for their service. And if I had a spare 20 to 50 bucks I would give where I could. I understand that this is an under paid and thankless career that they have willingly volunteered for.

I was on a flight from Boston to Atlanta and at the last minute private Anthony Clay sat beside me and we began to talk. He spoke or his tour in Iraq and the things he had seen. He spoke of the gem encrusted tiles to the war torn streets, the golden toilet seats to the blood in the streets. His eyes welled as he told me of saving life in one minute to taking one the next .

Private Clay remove a small percolator from his rucksack that was riddled with bullet holes. He told he was in his rack one night, this percolator and a few other items were on a shelf not inches from his head when his barracks was ripped to shreds from enemy fire. He lost his best friend and two others in his company perished before some sense of balance was regained. He emerged unscathed except the emotional scar he will forever carry for his lost friend and comrades. I left his with a warm handshake and 50 bucks to help with that steak dinner he spoke about.

Long story short..............Thank a Vet!

Thank a Vet! Th_101949coming_home_from_iraq
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Thank a Vet! Empty Re: Thank a Vet!

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:53 pm

I dug deep in the travel photos and found pictures of said coffee pot.

Thank a Vet! Shot%20Coffee%20Pot
Thank a Vet! Shot%20Coffee%20Pot2
Thank a Vet! Shot%20Coffee%20Pot3
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum