Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exhausted......

+5
ASBug
vwtattooed
camch
vwovalchild
Bugman114
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Exhausted...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Exhausted......

Post by camch Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:56 am

And the first picture the guy does not even know how to install a valve cover
camch
camch
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://yubuggin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:58 pm

david an mike are right a blown header or exhaust gasket can cause bad problems cause if you have a blown header gasket an its back firing when you let out of the gas thats trying to tell you some thing its the cold air rushing in an causing an explosion an yes i have seen a frozen windscreen crack from the defroster at my work
DOODLE BUGG
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1643
Registration date : 2008-12-01

http://bugglife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Ok. I understand that an exhaust leak or cracked header can cause problems, I accept that as universal law, for all eternity Laughing , but that's not my question. My question is will an open header, cause any kinds of problems?
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Maybe I'm not wording that correctly. By open header I mean a header installed properly, but with no stinger pipe installed
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by camch Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:58 pm

you should be ok as long as its a long tube header, with good gaskets (copper) imo,most of the exhaust systems today are made equal length,just be carefull,but i would not recomend it
camch
camch
Dub Crazy

Back to top Go down

Post by vwtattooed Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:07 pm

theoretically...NO! it is all about the scavenging effect, this is what a merged header is designed to do. it scavenges or draws the exhaust away from the head/exhaust valve faster and more efficiently than most stock exhaust. so the header will do it's job, but a stinger makes it more efficient. compare it to your bathtub when you pull the drain plug, you get that nice little swirl in the water as it is sucked down the drain, the stinger has the same effect on exhaust gas. that is why they are designed the way they are, the length,and taper of the pipe effect performance. and yes a v8 has wayyy more exhaust pressure so the pipes can be shorter. however these are not the most efficient/ideal exhaust setups, the idea of a merged exhaust is to use the other cylinders to draw the exhaust away from each other. i hope this makes sense and we can move on from here, my head hurts from thinking too much!! drunken
vwtattooed
vwtattooed
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by 56rag Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Well, I understand all about the exhaust stuff and valves, but what I really want to know is...
If I run my motor without a carb., will I bend or warp any intake valves. lol!

(Couldn't resist)
56rag
56rag
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 373
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:44 pm

56rag wrote:Well, I understand all about the exhaust stuff and valves, but what I really want to know is...

(Couldn't resist)

You should be fine. But you'll need something for combustion. The ricer forums I frequent say you can fart down the manifold and stuff a rag over it to keep the gas in. This will get you at least one pass down the 1/8 strip, maybe two depending on how much taco bell you had earlier in the day.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by vwtattooed Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:54 pm

ok ok ...but what fuels the flux capacitor? can i still use my Mr.Fusion?!! lol! Farts huh...is'nt that what the "dung beetle" runs on? pale
vwtattooed
vwtattooed
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by camch Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:22 pm

now david you know that a bath tub and a vw have nothing in common so you cant give that example lol lol lol,,that is kinda like my example with the windshield Cool ( sorry could not find the 1 beating a dead horse)
camch
camch
Dub Crazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:58 pm

vwtattooed wrote:theoretically...NO! it is all about the scavenging effect, this is what a merged header is designed to do. it scavenges or draws the exhaust away from the head/exhaust valve faster and more efficiently than most stock exhaust. so the header will do it's job, but a stinger makes it more efficient. compare it to your bathtub when you pull the drain plug, you get that nice little swirl in the water as it is sucked down the drain, the stinger has the same effect on exhaust gas. that is why they are designed the way they are, the length,and taper of the pipe effect performance. and yes a v8 has wayyy more exhaust pressure so the pipes can be shorter. however these are not the most efficient/ideal exhaust setups, the idea of a merged exhaust is to use the other cylinders to draw the exhaust away from each other. i hope this makes sense and we can move on from here, my head hurts from thinking too much!! drunken

I wrote: a stinger pipe doesn't provide any significant backpressure anyway, but it does contribute to the velocity of the air, as each cylinder forces air thru the collector, it creates a vacuum in the other pipes, thus creating a scavenging effect.

Thats what i ment, but you worded it so much clearer. i suck at explaining things Embarassed . and i realize it hurts performance a little, but at the time, the only reason i did it was because it was either that, the stinger or a rusted all to hell stock muffler. well the latter was out, and i really don't like the stinger, so i went with the open header, because it sounded better to me, lol Laughing

56rag wrote:Well, I understand all about the exhaust stuff and valves, but what I really want to know is...

(Couldn't resist)

One of the motors i'm working on is going to run without a carb.......... its gonna have a TB (megasquirt EFI) Wink

camch wrote:now david you know that a bath tub and a vw have nothing in common so you cant give that example lol lol lol,,that is kinda like my example with the windshield Cool ( sorry could not find the 1 beating a dead horse)

Exactly, thats what i'm sayin scratch lol!

Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:08 pm

I find this whole thread........................well, exhausting! Sleep
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:22 pm

Exhausted...... - Page 2 Sign_lame

Exhausted...... - Page 2 SHAKIRALOVER1
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum