Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transaxle

3 posters

Go down

Transaxle Empty Transaxle

Post by rpm750 Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:18 pm

'66 Bug Swing Axle, 12v, Lowered one click in rear

I've never broken one open but mine is making a God awful noise. Sounds like the Drum is loose but it is tight, Haven't checked the fluid but it don't leak so that may not be it. The sound is like something out of round like at the top it makes the noise and at the bottom not so much, so the faster you roll that cycle gets faster, that make any since? Like when you have your brake rotors turned and the surface is warped. Low tone not a high pitched grinding sound. I've found that it does it during the following, Rolling of course, Clutch pedal pressed, Clutch pedal out, in Neutral, in Gear, Accelerating, Decelerating, Engine running even Engine off but it quiets down turning right. And it sounds like the right side but that might just be me. Suspect

To me it seems to be a Differential problem more so than a gear box problem. Yeah I know they are in the same box, HA HA HA. Really since it does it with the thing out of gear and clutch engaged it would have to be the ring and pinion or bearings that pertain to the differential. Axle bearings I can check but are there bearings on the other end of the axle shafts?

I've never even taken the axles off one so I'm out in left field. Got to get it fixed for Y U Bugg'n or patch up Geek.

Last edited by rpm750 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Transaxle Empty Re: Transaxle

Post by Bugman114 Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:32 pm

This is in oh bugga i assume. I'm also assuming its a swingaxle still correct?. There are only bearings on the outser side of a swingaxle if i remember correctly. also, when you take the side covers off the tranny, there are two bearings, one on either side of the differential. Maybe try replacing the outer wheel bearings first. Is your car lowered in the rear at all (i know the front is, but can't remember if the rear is). if so, the bearings are lubed by the gear oil from the tranny, and not grease, so if its lowered, not enough oil is reaching the bearings, and can be causing your problem.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable with trannsmissions will chime in, lol.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:51 pm

you should be able to tell if the noise is coming from the wheels or the trans.

You can easily take off the side covers and make sure the axles look good and fulcrum plates are in place. The hardest thing to deal with are the snap rings.

If it is the trans internals it would be easier to get a good used one. I've cracked one open before just for a looksie and figured out pretty quickly that it was way too complicated for me plus you need some very expensive tools
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:00 pm

Well I checked the Drum, Axle bearing and found nothing. I changed the gear oil and it only had 1 liter in it, calls for 3. I got 3 liters in it and then drove it. Same noise but not as noticeable now. Shifts a lot better also, amazing what your car will tell you if you just listen to it! Suspect

Wondering if the low fluid level did this damage, I guess so. Maybe it will help it the more I drive it.

Also adjusted the carb and it seems to idle smoother now.
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Ouch. looks like a new tranny is in order. Was there any metal shavings or metal powder when you drained the old oil?
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:23 am

Not really, a little but over time I think you would have some under the best conditions.

I'm sure now that it's the big bearing holding the ring gear housing.
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down